RC poster

OK, the bug bit me again...need a bit of advice.

I recently relocated to north side of Moore, OK and after checking the town out I noticed there was a local R/C indoor/outdoor track literally around the corner from me. So, I decided to swing by and check the place out and of course it got my R/C bug going again.

Well, I had this old Rusty that I had put away years ago that I had bought in Memphis, TN hoping that I could get into racing, not to mention the local hobby shop I bought it from talked big things about an offroad track they heard of off a certain road. But to my dismay, no one raced offroad in the area at the time and the big thing was just flat ground parking lot races. So the Rusty became a mere toy to screw around with on my dirt driveway and eventually got boxed up for several years.

So after quickly deciding to dust off my old Rusty with the racing spark going again in my mind. I proceeded to find out that my 27 Mhz transmitter didn't fair too well in storage which resulted in a crash that shattered my right front LCA yesterday. We'll, last night there was the usual Saturday night races going on and I needed some parts anyhow I figured "what the hey" and see how things are run at the track while picking up new parts.

Even though they readily had my parts available it turns out that no one really runs Rusty class type trucks out there that much. If you do bring one it would be run in the "amateur class" which is a mix and match of various vehicles that aren't common with the crowd.

It turns out that most popular type truck out there is the Slash 2wd and 4wd type trucks.

I've never raced but have had years of experience playing with 2wds, so I guess I could be considered an amateur-experienced driver. I've see lots of great deals on craigslist and on here of various setups. I know 2.4Ghz is a given on the RX/TX side and even if I come across a 27Mhz setup it can easily be upgraded to a 2.4Ghz for as low as $30.

What would be a great used Slash setup to start out with on a $250 budget and be somewhat competitive? What should I keep an eye out for damage on used Slash? What's with the common use of not using reverse?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavic View Post
    What would be a great used Slash setup to start out with on a $250 budget and be somewhat competitive? What should I keep an eye out for damage on used Slash? What's with the common use of not using reverse?
    I hate steering people away from a Slash, but if you know this is going to be a dedicated race rig, you might want to look at some of the more popular racing chasis'.

If you still want a slash, get a VXL model and run it on 2s. You can still be competitive with a Slash, but over time you might get annoyed with how much sharper the other trucks can turn. Then you'll start dumping money into things like a protrac kit, maybe a low CG chasis... and you'll end up with something thats functionally the same, but cost WAY more money than if you had just bought a race rig to begin with.

Some argue thats offset by the pride of building your own truck... thats up to you... are you racing to podium finish, or for the fun of building and racing with like minded people? There's no wrong answer.

And no reverse... is used for racing. I think this is an old legacy rule, back in the day I think it was difficult to make a good ESC that also had reverse. Now many tracks frown upon using reverse in a race. No real logic to it, considering just about EVERY modern ESC also has reverse, and it saves on marshalling... I don't know why tracks aren't welcoming reversing ESC's.

RC poster
    Since I already have a Rustler, would it be worth while to get the LCG kit, Slash body mounts, Slash bumpers and go from there?

RC Racer
    I'd recommend the the STRC LCG kit and go that route and spend the rest on castle sct 3800kv and maybe a 2.4Ghz system. If you can find some good deals in the market place you can pick up some slash tires and body and should be within your $250 budget.

RC Qualifier
    Since I already have a Rustler, would it be worth while to get the LCG kit, Slash body mounts, Slash bumpers and go from there?
    yes...............................
    vxl rustler
    slash

its called yahoo use it

What are you trying to do? Buy a Slash and use your rustler chassis with the lcg kit?

Or make a Slash out of your Rusty?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    If I were you I would look at every picture of the Slash carefully just in case he tried to hide some damage. Along with the Rusty, by the time you dump the money into it to get it properly running again, you could of bought the Slash. Just my opinion.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL