Thread: Battery Trouble

RC poster

Battery Trouble

I have a Traxxas 2s lipo 10,000Mah I'm running in a Stampede vxl 4wd, charging with a Primal 4amp lipo charger w/ built in balancer; all bought new less then 2 weeks ago, 1st couple of runs got maybe 45mins run time but the last couple charges I'm only getting 8-10mins. After the 1st short run time I looked over all the wheels and pulled out some string rapped around axle (thought OK problem solved) but this morning the esc light turned red after 8mins again. I'm charging my Traxxas 2s 5800Mah as I type to see if it does any better.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

RC Champion
    Do you use Low Voltage Cut-off?
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC poster
    Yes the LED shines green when turned on (according to the manual, red for NiMH, green for Lipo) but after 8-10mins it flashes red and the truck becomes very slow. Its a stock stampede vxl 4wd. Do Lipo's get a "memory"?

My other battery is almost charged, as soon as its done I'm going to try it to see if its the truck or battery.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 MEN AND A BOAT View Post
    Yes the LED shines green when turned on (according to the manual, red for NiMH, green for Lipo) but after 8-10mins it flashes red and the truck becomes very slow. Its a stock stampede vxl 4wd. Do Lipo's get a "memory"?

My other battery is almost charged, as soon as its done I'm going to try it to see if its the truck or battery.
    Could be the thermal protection. Are you running a cooling fan on your esc and a heatsink on the motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL7Wn6MJcpo

Fast blinking is thermal protection and slow blinking is low voltage.
    Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 01-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC poster
    just finished running the 5800Mah which lasted about 25mins

Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    Could be the thermal protection. Are you running a cooling fan on your esc and a heatsink on the motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL7Wn6MJcpo

Fast blinking is thermal protection and slow blinking is low voltage.
    No fans or upgrades at all. If its a heating issue I should be able to let it cool down and try the battery again, correct.

I tried it real quick it blinks slow I'd say at 1 second intervals.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-08-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like it must be the batteries but then again I'm new to the electric thing so to be honest I'm not sure what yer problem may be. Good luck though.

Just another though is that you could check your batteries with a multi-meter as well just to confirm the voltage on a fresh charge. . . .
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Enthusiast
    When you charge the pack does your charger tell you how many mah is put into the pack?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    do you have a battery checker to see if all the cell are charged

my first 3s lipo i had a blown cell so it wont charge to 4.2v so after 5-10min the car would go in protection mode

RC poster
    guess I'll have to buy a multi-meter

RC Competitor
    They make a nifty lil tool i keep in my box for checking lipo voltage. Think its called a cell spy? Has a lil digital read out, you just plug it into the balance port and it will give you each cell as well as total. Good thing to keep with you at all times. Even after coming off the charger i check the cells to make sure of consistency and full charge.

RC poster
    I took it to the hobbyshop, they checked it and said it has a bad cell. I'll call Traxxas tommorrow.

thanks for everyones help,
    Paul