Thread: roll cage

RC Competitor

roll cage

does anybodie use roll cages would it be a good idea to get one or not to much to worry about

RC Champion
    I think that they would add quite a bit of extra weight. A good quality lexan body (ie. Proline body or Parma) would be a better way to go IMO.
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Qualifier
    roll cage is too heavy, either just a new era engine protector thing like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-T-Ma...ht_2440wt_1037 , its not as heavy as the full roll cage, or my personal favorite, just get a nice body like theant said and a wing, it helps with stability in air, and also protects the engine and internals. thats just my opinion

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    yep, i prefer just a wing than putting a roll cage. roll cage blocks the way when tinkering little things around the inside.

RC Qualifier
    yea, thats very very true, makes it alot harder to access many things it looks like, i havent tried a roll cage myself, but then again, i dont plan on it because of the above reasons.

RC Qualifier
    I think they are good for scale realism, but not more than that.
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Champion
    i use a roll cage love it rc raven full cage i did not notice it adding enough weight for me to care BUT you should upgrade to aluminum bulks if you get the rc raven one it attaches to where the bumper mounts. yes it is harder to get to some of the parts but 4 screws and the cage comes off. to me a monster truck does not look like a monster truck with a wing on the back. it all depends on what YOU want. me i would never take off my cage it adds a scale monster truck look.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Qualifier
    heres my integy roll bar

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    i didnt buy my roll cage it came with the truck, as for wieght you wont noticed it at all so no thats not a issue period, as for looks it looks freaking sweet, as for working on your truck it only matters if your doing something major youll have to take it off, all the basics are still totally doable, i like it but wouldnt have bought it, for free though id never not have it on my truck...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Champion
    ^^^That does look really nice, I must admit. Nice truck!!

RC Qualifier
    I run the RC-Solutions roll cage.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Kuskye25 i have also had that brand of cage and bent the front and rear pretty good on some bad landings.
    Last edited by jcjhl69; 01-20-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Content
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Champion
    Those roll cages are really nice too, but what do they weigh and does it hinder your ability to wheelie, or even to work on the truck after a run?

RC Qualifier
    thats what i was thinking, looks like it harder to access anything

RC Qualifier
    The rc solutions cage has 12 screw and it is off. Four at each bumper support and four on the bottom with a plate that the sides of the cage goes into. If you wanted to you could just use the fore bottom ones as the plate takes the place of the center skid plate. I t does not really makt it any more difficult to bring up the rear wheels. Notice I still have the wheely bar installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

I will see if I can get a pick of the underside tonight after work.
    Last edited by jcjhl69; 01-20-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Content

if anything i would just do a roll bar for engine protection, that integy one doesnt look bad minus the x over the engine that would bug me. i wouldnt mind trying some of the new era roll bars. plus i wouldnt run integy because its integy lol.

but to be honest although it may not look 100% accurate i love the performance effects of a wing and it protects the engine head as well so no need for a rollbar or roll cage then. i preffer a good body and a wing as well.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    I like the looks of Kuskye25's cage alot but i think the RC-solutions will be a ton stronger. Will that fit under a truck body jcjhl? What are the a-arms on that thing anyway? They kinda look like Savage arms.

How stout are the wings? I'm not much into a wing on a monster truck, (kinda like trying to streamline a brick... LOL), but it'd be nice to protect the engine.
    07 700 SE
    03/04 660
    85 FL350
    86 V65
    78 Z50

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by 454_72_4x4 View Post
    I like the looks of Kuskye25's cage alot but i think the RC-solutions will be a ton stronger. Will that fit under a truck body jcjhl? What are the a-arms on that thing anyway? They kinda look like Savage arms.

How stout are the wings? I'm not much into a wing on a monster truck, (kinda like trying to streamline a brick... LOL), but it'd be nice to protect the engine.
    yeah my cage does nothing but looks, is why id never buy one, but it came with the truck so you know im going to run it, it looks sweet...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    yeah my cage does nothing but looks, is why id never buy one, but it came with the truck so you know im going to run it, it looks sweet...
    Oh, don't think I wouldn't run one if it was free. Free is hard to argue with! LOL
    07 700 SE
    03/04 660
    85 FL350
    86 V65
    78 Z50

RC Champion
    To date, I havn't been able to find a better price than free....unless I was given money to take it, that would be sweet.

RC Qualifier
    I chose the New Era 3 point roll bar cuz I do high jumps, flips and such, and a wing just doesnt cut it.
    If you've ever landed an inverted belly flop, you know what I'm saying.
    Its hard to see in the pic but, the roll bar ties the front shock tower and chassis plate together
    on the top end for additional rigidity.
    It also makes the body a bit more rigid, and most parts are still easily accessible
    and most important, it looks cool (not to say that a wing doesnt but..)
    My Karma runneth over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
    I chose the New Era 3 point roll bar cuz I do high jumps, flips and such, and a wing just doesnt cut it.
    If you've ever landed an inverted belly flop, you know what I'm saying.
    Its hard to see in the pic but, the roll bar ties the front shock tower and chassis plate together
    on the top end for additional rigidity.
    It also makes the body a bit more rigid, and most parts are still easily accessible
    and most important, it looks cool (not to say that a wing doesnt but..)

if i was going to run any type of roll bar or roll cage it would be this exact one, ive done the inverted belly flop so i know exactly what your saying. dont really have the option to use it on my racemaxx but its so well balanced it doesnt really matter much. plus where i have things now i honestly dont know if i could physically fit it on there. but the wing and its performance are perfect for it anyway.

can you get some closer pics of all the mounting points and maybe some measurements off stock holes or something for where it bolts to the chassis at?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 454_72_4x4 View Post

With Body on.

[IMG][/IMG]

And those arms are from Flex Tek Rc.