RC Competitor

'Pede 4x4 upgrades list - suggestions/advice

Okay have a new Stampede 4x4 VXL. I'm looking to order some upgrades, I've compiled a list of stuff I've found that should make the truck perform better and be more reliable.

Only 'mods' I've ordered yet are the T-Bone Racing Front/Rear bumpers and wheelie bar.

Slash 4x4 Chassis conversion to make a Slash MT/Stash.
    Blue RPM Front/Rear A-Arms
    RPM Nerf Bars
    MIP X-Duty Front/Rear CVD's
    Cooling fans for both the motor and ESC
    Pro-Line Trencher all terrains on 2.8" Desperado's
    J-concepts overtray
    Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6-Amp AC/DC LiPo/NiMH Fast Charger/Balancer
    2x Traxxas 8400mah 3S Lipo Batteries

And that's pretty much it for the list. What other parts should I consider upgrading? Or is there anything on the list I shouldn't do for any reason? I am going to run the Traxxas Velineon system (ESC and Motor) so no need for motor or ESC upgrades.. at least for the time being.

Thanks for any input~
    Last edited by LogWater; 01-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sounds like a plan, what body are you going to use?

RC Competitor
    I was looking at different E-Maxx bodies. I'm not sure if or how they would fit yet. Otherwise I guess I'd need a fenderless Slash body.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Emaxx-tmaxx-HPI bodies fit with a minor mod.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...4x4-Slash-pics!

RC Enthusiast
    I see 3s batteries on that wish list....... are you running stock gearing if so I have been told it would be wise to use a 9t pinion if you are using the 3s lipos. Also the coolers would be a must but still not as important as the gearing change.... keep that esc and motor from getting hot!! Food for thought!!
    I Just got my 1st Traxxas Slash VXL 4X4!!!

RC Competitor
    Hmm okay so I'd need to get this and install it?

Part #: 6745
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9165

RC Enthusiast
    Probably wouldn't go with the Traxxas charger and batteries. You can probably get better stuff for cheaper. Also think about just getting 2s batteries, Gens Ace 5000mah 40c battery is very good. If you go 3s you need to make sure you upgrade all the common tender spots and maintain the truck well. Get aluminum motor mount and motor plate, these will help cool the motor and add a little durability.

RC Racer
    If you take the cost of esc and motor fans, add them to what you'd get if you sold the stock esc and motor you'd probably have enough to upgrade to the cc sct system. Seems its more reliable but not as waterproof.

Just an idea I'm considering

RC Qualifier
    id pass on the jconcepts overtray and get outerwears. mine overheats in 5 degree weather with a 3s lipo because theres no airflow

RC Competitor
    Hmm good point. I won't order that.

RC Competitor
    Welp my T-Bone Front/Rear bumpers came in and the wheelie bar they offer. Install was a breeze and they're high quality.

RC Racer
    I too would pass on the Traxxas 8400mah LiPo.

You could pick up the SPC 8200mah 30c for $90 vs.$110-$130 for the Traxxas that is 25c. Not that the C rating is that big of a deal in this application.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDollarRustler View Post
    I too would pass on the Traxxas 8400mah LiPo.

You could pick up the SPC 8200mah 30c for $90 vs.$110-$130 for the Traxxas that is 25c. Not that the C rating is that big of a deal in this application.
    I ended up passing on the Traxxas Lipo Charger and the Traxxas Lipo batteries. Earlier today I ordered a Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balancer/Charger/Discharger and also ordered a couple Gens Ace 5000mah 3S1P 40c batteries.