RC Enthusiast

How to put pillow balls back in

Truck took a little tumble today and both of the pillow balls popped out of socket on one of the front wheels. How do I put them back in? Searched here and google and came up empty. I tried a little with a set of pliers but didn't want to damage anything. So I'll wait and let someone smarter than I explain the process to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!:
    Slash 4x4 x 2
    E-Maxx 3903 CC brushless

There is a hex-key slot on the opposite side of the threaded portion. They shouldn't have just pooped out, you either had them too far out, or your arms are stripped and need to be replaced.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    On the outside of the knuckle there is a big hex thread that out. also thread the ball out of the arm. The ball inserts from the out side Threw the knuckle then the big hex (bushing) threads back on don't over tighten the bushing it will bind up the suspension

Sent from my secret hiding place AKA the garage.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Perhaps i didnt explain very well. The balls were still both screwed into the a arms but they dislodged from the sockets at the end of the cv.

Thank you. I was wondering if that big hex might come off but didnt investigate since the football games were starting. Ill give that a try but sounds like you knew exactly what i was talking about and this sounds like the ticket to repair my truck.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-27-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: post merge
    Slash 4x4 x 2
    E-Maxx 3903 CC brushless

RC Racer
    Chances are that if you pulled the pillow balls out of the axle carriers, the axle carrier will have a hairline crack in the housing and you'll need to replace it.

RC Enthusiast
    Ill check.again but they looked intact. I was amazed. Thanks for all the help.
    Slash 4x4 x 2
    E-Maxx 3903 CC brushless

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDollarRustler View Post
    Chances are that if you pulled the pillow balls out of the axle carriers, the axle carrier will have a hairline crack in the housing and you'll need to replace it.
    +1 ^^^^ What he said.

Ok, that makes sense. Even if there is not a crack in the carrier, this problem will be chronic until they are replaced. This is a great time to upgrade to RPM carriers!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Just order some 5334R traxxas part number they have a metal insert the balls wont pop out ever again the RPM'S dont have the metal insert. I like rpm products but they need to update there axle carriers. And dont forget to put the R at the end of the part number
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

RC Enthusiast
    Hey I love having a reason to upgrade! I was having to cool it a little since I just put RPM A-arms all around with bulkhead braces. I think I'll take your advice and order the new parts and if/when they pop out again, I'll replace them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    Just order some 5334R traxxas part number they have a metal insert the balls wont pop out ever again the RPM'S dont have the metal insert. I like rpm products but they need to update there axle carriers. And dont forget to put the R at the end of the part number
    I like RPM also and would have probably just blindly ordered their axle carriers as a result. Thanks for the tip.

Well no cracks so I put them back together as is. Steering bellcrank is broken though so I went ahead and ordered that along with the upgraded Traxxas axle carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    Took your recommendation Mayhem. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by likametal View Post
    On the outside of the knuckle there is a big hex thread that out. also thread the ball out of the arm. The ball inserts from the out side Threw the knuckle then the big hex (bushing) threads back on don't over tighten the bushing it will bind up the suspension

Sent from my secret hiding place AKA the garage.
    Appreciate the help. I just wasn't seeing that the inside of the axle carrier was threaded. Anyway, thanks!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-27-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: post merge
    Slash 4x4 x 2
    E-Maxx 3903 CC brushless

RC Champion
    no problem i never have pulled a pillow ball out like you did. but i have had my maxx apart enough to know what you ment
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Racer
    I had same thing happen on mine, I clipped my truck's tire at speed and the emaxx tire caught up under truck tire. as maxx spun around it ripped pillow ball right through back of carrier. Mine did crack and after putting back together it came right back out on the slightest crash. I'm glad parts are cheap
    Your signature is not appropriate Please change it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lgwilson View Post
    Hey I love having a reason to upgrade! I was having to cool it a little since I just put RPM A-arms all around with bulkhead braces. I think I'll take your advice and order the new parts and if/when they pop out again, I'll replace them. Thanks.
    Did you have a problem with the lower front RPM A-Arms? My steering bellcrank(?) was hitting the A Arm/hinge pin and keeping it from turning. I had to shave the arms way down to make them skinny enough. I had already replaced my bulkheads with aluminum bulkheads so maybe that had something to do with it too?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccle View Post
    Did you have a problem with the lower front RPM A-Arms? My steering bellcrank(?) was hitting the A Arm/hinge pin and keeping it from turning. I had to shave the arms way down to make them skinny enough. I had already replaced my bulkheads with aluminum bulkheads so maybe that had something to do with it too?
    No problems like that here. I used RPM everything. I.didnt drive the truck today with all the rain here but i turned it on and the steering looked and sounded good.
    Slash 4x4 x 2
    E-Maxx 3903 CC brushless