RC Qualifier

Question Glow plugs with pushed-in filament still usable?

I have searched and searched but could not find a thread about using glow plugs with a slighty pushed in filament. I have many, many unused or slightly used glow plugs that I have accidentally nudged the filament in a bit. Are they still usable, because they'd still be igniting the fuel?
    back

RC Qualifier
    If your engine is still running good keep using them.

RC Qualifier
    well, does it light up?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    If your engine is still running good keep using them.
    Well, I haven't tried using them because I don't want to risk any problems. I'm just asking now because I am on my last plug and have a box of good plugs with the filaments slightly pushed-in.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalstrike View Post
    well, does it light up?
    Yeah they're basically brand new, they light up fine.
    back

So use them as long as the element is still attached on both ends and the element isn't mangled use'em.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    use em if they work, why not ?

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks, I was just a question I had been asking myself for ages.
    back

RC Champion
    I've used some pretty rough looking plug before haha, and haven't had any problems. You just don't want the filament to fall out of the plug into the engine.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I push my filament when my glow plug die and if it glow it works, good enough for whats left in your tank.. that is.

Quote Originally Posted by maxidodies View Post
    I have searched and searched but could not find a thread about using glow plugs with a slighty pushed in filament. I have many, many unused or slightly used glow plugs that I have accidentally nudged the filament in a bit. Are they still usable, because they'd still be igniting the fuel?
    You should be fine, as long as the platinum coating on the glowplug wire is not burnt up and the coil is still in tact you should be fine...

Note: Using old plugs? Clean them with a little fuel and compressed air just in case they got a spec of dirt in them.... That's the last thing you want in your engine.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Note: Using old plugs? Clean them with a little fuel and compressed air just in case they got a spec of dirt in them.... That's the last thing you want in your engine.
    And If you have a couple of still usable plugs clean them like NN said and get some of the little daily vitamin baggies at the pharmacy to put your newly cleaned plugs in, cost like a $1 or $2 for 50 of them.

They are also great to put small grub screws and washers & the like in.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Okay, so as long as a glow plug lights up, they're still good?
    back

Quote Originally Posted by maxidodies View Post
    Okay, so as long as a glow plug lights up, they're still good?
    There is a platinum coating on the plug, sometimes when ran too rich it becomes fouled and the coating deteriorates stopping the combustion cycle when the plug is removed. SO yes, the coil would glow, but it would not work properly when the ignitor is removed.
    This also can happen if it is ran too lean or is just old. A bad plug will cause this. I find though a glowplug ran with a good tune can last longer than I care to run them. I change mine every gallon or so just out of habit and not due to failures. The cost is worth it when you want to make the A Main's....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    There is a platinum coating on the plug, sometimes when ran too rich it becomes fouled and the coating deteriorates stopping the combustion cycle when the plug is removed. SO yes, the coil would glow, but it would not work properly when the ignitor is removed.
    This also can happen if it is ran too lean or is just old. A bad plug will cause this. I find though a glowplug ran with a good tune can last longer than I care to run them. I change mine every gallon or so just out of habit and not due to failures. The cost is worth it when you want to make the A Main's....
    Okay, I assume the coating is still good. These are brand new or slightly used plugs. I'll try them out once my engine is back together.
    back