RC Qualifier

Getting a new two wheel ride

So I happened to run into one motorcycle that I have drooled over for many years. And of course it is used for the fact I can not swing the budget on a new one, it's a 05 BMW k1200gs adventure 9,000 miles (enduro) my love with these started with my brother that had a BMW for many years, after riding his I was hooked! Then I really wanted the adventure. So I was on the Internet the other day and came across this one that was for sale right by me at a dealer. Mind you I never had the chance to even sit on one, I've seen them here and there going down the highway so to finally sit on it I was hooked. But any one else on here have or owned a Beemer in the past?
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Racer
    not a beemer but i got a honda shadow sabre 1100
    my life sucks

RC Qualifier
    Some of the best running bikes I have had as imports have been Hondas, and I have talk to a few that have owned your shadow and seems they really enjoy them.

RC Competitor
    I have had many BMW bikes over the years. I'm currently riding a 1200GSA. My father and I have been collecting them for quite some time. He rides an 800GS. I believe you mean an R1200GS. The K-bike never came as a GS. The GS is a world renound dual sport. The early R100s were bulletproof. When BMW switched to the oil-head on the 1100 the first few years were iffy. The 1150 was pretty good, but the 1200 was that much better. The bike is made for the tall rider. I'm 6'3" and my bike sits at standard height (no lowered seat, or lowering link) and I can just flat foot it. Despite the weight, the GS is just as much a road bike as it is an off roader. I've ridden hundreds of miles a day without any problems. There is a reason people literaly ride them arround the world. I rode a plain GS for a year before I traded it in on a GSA. The GSA is alot more bike but it also adds a bit over $2k to the pricetag.

RC Champion
    Yeah Honda's are bulletproof, had one and its said all. I hate my grandmas bmw x3. :P
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    I have had many BMW bikes over the years. I'm currently riding a 1200GSA. My father and I have been collecting them for quite some time. He rides an 800GS. I believe you mean an R1200GS. The K-bike never came as a GS. The GS is a world renound dual sport. The early R100s were bulletproof. When BMW switched to the oil-head on the 1100 the first few years were iffy. The 1150 was pretty good, but the 1200 was that much better. The bike is made for the tall rider. I'm 6'3" and my bike sits at standard height (no lowered seat, or lowering link) and I can just flat foot it. Despite the weight, the GS is just as much a road bike as it is an off roader. I've ridden hundreds of miles a day without any problems. There is a reason people literaly ride them arround the world. I rode a plain GS for a year before I traded it in on a GSA. The GSA is alot more bike but it also adds a bit over $2k to the pricetag.
    You are right my bad with the miss spell, yes a (gsa) as you beemer guys call them And one of the reasons I really like it is that I'm 6 and a half feet tall. Its hard to find a bike that I do not look like a clown on. But this fits me like it was meant to be , plus the other is the ABS that is priceless in my book. Im not really going to be hitting the trails anytime soon on it, lacking the crash bars that I would like to pick up. Plus I would like to get the feel for the bike for a bit before the dirt and mud

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    I got a 2004 GS Adventure now with 70K. Rode it all the way to Honduras once.
    Very easy maintenance for all DIY. Join a big community here: http://advrider.com
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...

RC Qualifier
    Do you find doing the valve adjustment vary hard on these? I was thinking of taking it to the BMW dealer but that's a two hour drive and I figure the cost they will charge me, I might as well just buy the manuals/tools and do it myself

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    Valve adjustment is the easiest than any other bike because the cylinder heads are basically exposed. I am no that mechanically inclined and I am able to do it myself. You will need the right feeler gauges. A torque wrench and for the first time some patience. The second one will take you 15 minutes. It will save you a lot of money as well.
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...