RC poster

Not a very good experience so far - the cat's coming of the bag

MY ESC failed (completely) the second week I owned my XO-1. Died in the middle of a speed run, leaving me with no brakes at 70+mph. It is now sitting on a shelf while I wait for a new one from Castle, which I bet will take several weeks from what I hear from others. They have to send me the guts, because apparently the plastic housing is made by Traxxas and for some crazy reason Castle doesn't have any. So now not only do I have to wait for a new part while my $1100 investment sits on a shelf, but I get to cover all the labor on their defective product free of charge to them.

My buddy's XO-1 had the motor shaft fall apart on his over two weeks ago, he still hasn't received his motor which was supposed to be sent directly to our LHS "immediately". His TQi completely died on him the third or fourth time we went out, wouldn't power up at all. Still waiting on that. My telemetry has never worked beyond five feet away from the transmitter. As soon as the car pulls away I lose the link and all gauges show zero values. When I called Traxxas, I got "oh, that's weird. Try downloading and reinstalling the app". Reinstalling the app did nothing as I expected it would do. Do the techs at Traxxas really think a range issue like that would be caused by software? I'm no engineer, but its pretty obvious to me that this would be a hardware issue. Anyway, still no resolution on that, and I really don't want to send my brand new controller in and wait another 3-6 weeks for Traxxas to send another one.

Needless to say, of the motor, ESC and transmitter we have been waiting on, we have yet to receive a single replacement from either Traxxas or Castle. We have $2200 worth of paperweights sitting here, and every problem they have is due to defective products.

I have an idea, how about they just send replacements for their defective products so their loyal customers can still drive the cars they spent over a grand to own? This idea that we need to send defective products in and wait for weeks is (insert expletive of choice here).

I understand that this is a new release and there are some bugs to be worked out, but this is ridiculous. I'm really starting to wonder about the quality of Castle Creations and Traxxas products at this point, and the customer service I've received so far has been marginally acceptable at best.

Maybe if I start being more vocal, they'll take my requests seriously and get our parts sent out to us.

Are you listening Traxxas? I just want to drive my new car. That's all I'm asking for. Can you make that happen?
    Last edited by RC Killer; 02-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Killer View Post
    So now not only do I have to wait for a new part while my $1100 investment sits on a shelf.
    R/c's are not an investment... its more of a big black hole that wants to and never will be full of money

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Killer View Post
    MY ESC failed (completely) the second week I owned my XO-1. Died in the middle of a speed run, leaving me with no brakes at 70+mph. It is now sitting on a shelf while I wait for a new one from Castle, which I bet will take several weeks from what I hear from others. They have to send me the guts, because apparently the plastic housing is made by Traxxas and for some crazy reason Castle doesn't have any. So now not only do I have to wait for a new part while my $1100 investment sits on a shelf, but I get to cover all the labor on their defective product free of charge to them.
    It seems like Castle's other option was to send you nothing, so they did the best they could with what was on hand. I agree, you should have just received a complete speed control, but I wouldn't expect installing the housing to be any more difficult than installing the ESC in the car.

My buddy's XO-1 had the motor shaft fall apYart on his over two weeks ago, he still hasn't received his motor which was supposed to be sent directly to our LHS "immediately".
    I can't speak for Castle, but I'll ask about the motor availability situation.

His TQi completely died on him the third or fourth time we went out, wouldn't power up at all. Still waiting on that. My telemetry has never worked beyond five feet away from the transmitter. As soon as the car pulls away I lose the link and all gauges show zero values. When I called Traxxas, I got "oh, that's weird. Try downloading and reinstalling the app". Reinstalling the app did nothing as I expected it would do. Do the techs at Traxxas really think a range issue like that would be caused by software? I'm no engineer, but its pretty obvious to me that this would be a hardware issue. Anyway, still no resolution on that, and I really don't want to send my brand new controller in and wait another 3-6 weeks for Traxxas to send another one.
    If we've agreed to replace your TQi, we do need you to send yours in so we can identify the problem and determine if its a production problem or a fluke, and understand how to best support other customers who may have the same problem.

We are very proud that we do have a long-range telemetry system, so there's definitely something up with your transmitter. And of course, no transmitter should just fail, so we'll need your friend's back as well.

Needless to say, of the motor, ESC and transmitter we have been waiting on, we have yet to receive a single replacement from either Traxxas or Castle. We have $2200 worth of paperweights sitting here, and every problem they have is due to defective products.
    That's very frustrating, but if we don't have the parts, then we don't have them. I'll look into the situation.

I have an idea, how about they just send replacements for their defective products so their loyal customers can still drive the cars they spent over a grand to own? This idea that we need to send defective products in and wait for weeks is (insert expletive of choice here).
    In addition to the solving-the-problem reasons I noted previously, we also need defective items back simply to protect ourselves from unscrupulous customers ("My Mamba died, trust me it's defective, just send me a new one") I'm sure that's not you, but you understand.

I understand that this is a new release and there are some bugs to be worked out, but this is ridiculous. I'm really starting to wonder about the quality of Castle Creations and Traxxas products at this point, and the customer service I've received so far has been marginally acceptable at best.
    We're well known for offering the best customer service. I would say that I will look your specific situation for you, but I doubt you identified yourself as "RC Killer" when you phoned in, so I can only discuss this with Customer Service in a general way. My email is in my signature. If you email me with your name, I can better serve you and will do so happily.

Maybe if I start being more vocal, they'll take my requests seriously and get our parts sent out to us.
    Actually, it doesn't work that way. We take every customer seriously. We're not sitting on parts and refusing to send them to you. If you were told we don't have something, we don't have it. I've seen Customer Service people give up their own personal items to help customers, so if they say they don't have it, they really don't have it.

If you are dissatisfied with the service you've received from Traxxas, do take it up with the Customer Service Manager (just ask for him when you call in). If that doesn't satisfy you, email me.

Handling things privately results in better service, not worse. We want to get you up and running as soon as possible, but sometimes what's possible cannot happen as soon as we would like.
    Last edited by PeterV; 02-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.