Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the 4x4

RC Racer

New to the 4x4

Like the title says i am new to the pede 4x4. Before i got the 4x4 i had a 2wd for maybe 3 months.

I am deployed and i needed some form of entertainment so i bought the 2wd pede. It was nice had some decent upgrades done to it but i just kept breaking parts on it and it didn't handle so well on our sandy rc track over here. so i went ahead and bought a 4wd pede rolling chassis, kept it pretty much stock. only thing changed on it is aluminum motor mounts and it has the TQi w/telemetry sensors installed.

will upload pictures later.

also is there any parts you guys recommend other than steel drive shafts?

RC Racer

new rolling chassis

New TQi with telemetry sensors

New motor, ESC, TQi equipment, and aluminum motor mounts installed

New H2 body painted but its installed on the 2wd drive pede here with lowered front body posts

RC Racer

72' Chevy body on the 4wd pede

side by side comparision of the 4wd and the 2wd pedes i have

RC Enthusiast
    Man that truck looks great!!!!!!
    Bash hard
    Live hard
    Play hard

They both look great! Thank you for your service!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    They both look great! Thank you for your service!
    A+++.Thanks for serving.It is a great feeling to serve your country.I did my time in the Army.

RC Racer
    And no problem it feels good to serve my country and the people of my country just waiting to return back home.

Thanks guys its nice to have some support out there also thanks for the good feed back on my truck.

I finally ended up breaking the 4x4 the truck slipped off the side walk and ended up smoking another side walk. the end result was a rear broken A arm even though i hit the front and i also ended up snapping my front diff hub. but other than it works pretty well. just wish i was able to go faster with it.

i wanna get some lipos to try them out. what are some good cheaper brands of Lipo batteries that i should look into getting?
    Last edited by Cheyenne91; 03-03-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added info

RC Qualifier
    What color is the paint on the hummer? Thanks

RC Racer
    i used the paint that we had on hand at our shop here in Kuwait. so it ended up being a military flat black for the flames and the and then the main body was done in military tan.

RC Racer

here is another front view of both trucks

RC Racer
    Alright i never got an answer on the lipos.

so here is another. from experience what is the best way to make the truck sit lower, faster, and keep its handling?

RC Qualifier
    I use a duratrax onyx 8000 mah 2s. With stock gearing. Battery will last for about an hour. No heat issues at all. I have both Pedes as well and i must say the 4x4 will hug the ground. My 2wd is got my budget tied up at the moment but as soon as its done the 4x4 will be going under the knife. Did you get the Kingz Head mount?
    SUMMIT,P4DE,MERV

RC Racer
    i didnt go with the kingz head cause it was back ordered so i ended up getting the Traxxas mount.

but i gotta get my ESC and motor issue figured out first.

also thinking about getting rid of both trucks. but i will wait and see.

RC Qualifier
    whats the deal with motor and esc? let me know if you decide to get rid of the trucks. What kind of radios do you use?
    SUMMIT,P4DE,MERV

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne91 View Post
    Alright i never got an answer on the lipos.

so here is another. from experience what is the best way to make the truck sit lower, faster, and keep its handling?
    SPCracing sells excellent LiPos at great prices. Lots of people on the forums run them. They only sell direct online, so you're never paying a retail markup, but great quality. I have three 5000mAh 2S batteries and my RC buddy has four 5000mAh 3S batteries from them, and they both work very well.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    not really sure i gotta get ahold of traxxas and talk to them. in the past 3 months two of my other buddies had there ESCs go up in smoke.

and then the other day i drove the 4x4 maybe 5 feet and my ESC went up in smoke as well. i was running a fan always ensuring it was cooled. but the ESC started smoking all the wires were hot going to the motor and the battery. even the built in heat sink was so hot i was unable to touch it.

BAMAFAN i will let you know if i do sell them. the 2wd has the standard TRAXXAS 2.4ghz radio system and then the 4wd has the 2.4ghz TQi from the XO-1 has all the sensors installed was just waiting for the magnet holding spur gear to come out for the pede. Also both trucks have plenty of spare parts IMO so if i sold them i would get rid of everything that i have for them. also just purchased a roll cage for the 4wd.

RC Champion
    +1 on SPC Lipos.Plus Tom is a GREAT guy to deal with.

RC Racer
    well if i keep the trucks i will look into them

I suggest going with a castle system. The 3800 or the 2400 would be a great upgrade for those trucks. Don't sell them, you need something to keep your sanity. Again we all appreciate what all the men and women of the armed forces are doing to keep us safe.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Alright well the decision will probably be made on monday after i call Traxxas.
    Would that be the Sidewinder set up your talkin about?

RC Racer
    Alright i will be calling traxxas today just waiting on the 8 hour time difference to be morning over in the states.

If i go Castle Creations would you guys recommend the Sv2 or the MMP and what size motor? i am looking for something for speed.

RC Racer
    well they gave me the option to send it in and get it inspected and repaired. but i am not sure that i will do that i might not do that i am getting sick of spending money on the velineon systems. i am not bashing traxxas cause even the technician was like well it happen alot that the ESC's do that.

RC Enthusiast
    I have had my pede 4x4 for about 2 weeks now and my Velineon motor gets hot. Too hot. I have to take a break with it about every 10 minutes to let it cool down but apart from that this truck is great. I have jumped it higher and further than I'm game to do with my other RCs and this thing has taken everything. I have bent one shock shaft and thats all. Im looking into the castle MMP 2400 and 3800 also. 2400 if you run on 3s and 3800 if you run on 2s lipo so I am leaning towards the 3800.

I received my new 2s battery yesterday and its a ******* **** tech 10,000mah 2s. It seems to be designed for the pete 4x4. perfect size it just requires the stampede battery extension kit which is like 5 bucks. I have ran it for an hour so far and it has yet to die on me. the battery was about $56AU. I hope this helps.

Traxxas has a very strict language policy. A filter operates to convert inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit the inappropriate term.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-15-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Language and Content

RC Racer
    thanks for that help on the lipo and the MMP.

soon taking the Velineon system outta my truck. when that happens the buyer can have the option of buying a motor with about 40 minutes of run time on it with the fried ESC and a used working ESC, or i will send it in and get it replaced for the $50 and sell it at a higher price.

either way the conclusion i have come to is that velineon is outta this guys 4wd pede and never going back in.

RC Racer
    alright any advice on the castle creations motor and ESC combo should i go MMP or Sv2? and with what motor for either of those ESC's?

RC Enthusiast
    you want the MMP esc and the 2400kv motor if you run 3s lipo which from what I have read and seen is insanely powerful as in you can hit the smallest bump and do a complete backflip almost on a flat surface. But if you run 2s lipos then you want the 3800kv which I haven't seen in action but from what I have read its much more powerful than the stock motor and runs much much cooler. The 2400kv requires some slashing and gashing of the chassis to fit properly and the 3800kv bolts right in. Im thinking that I want the 3800..I don't wanna cut up my new truck.

RC Racer
    I take it you are un able to purchase the 2400 kv off of castles website and besides that their site is down.

RC Racer
    just wondering what are the differences between the MMP and the MMP SCT if there are any?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne91 View Post
    just wondering what are the differences between the MMP and the MMP SCT if there are any?
    Sticker and bundled motors. That's it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    so if i bought the MMP SCT with the 2400KV motor it would be not different that just buying a MMP ESC then a 2400kv motor seperate

RC Racer
    Also i heard that aluminum rear A-arms will take the 4* toe in outta rear and put it at 1.5* is that a true statement?

back when the truck still ran i found a little mud whole or in my case a sand whole

Figured I would show you guys the track that we have on base here in Kuwait

RC Qualifier
    Thank you for serving! I hope everything works out with the trucks for you which ever way you decide to go. Thank you for serving!!

RC Racer
    are there any major problems when running the castle motor with the 3.2 mm shaft?

RC Racer
    Got bored today i know these arent the right rims for the 4x4 but i had them laying around cause i wanted to try something. I had my old 2.2 revolvers for the p2de and i wanted to see if i could mount the NST Stampede tires on the 2.8 All star rims.

I guess i hadn't seen a thread that showed it thats why i tried it. tires have only been mounted and not tested at this time.

RC Qualifier
    looks pretty sweet.
    SUMMIT,P4DE,MERV

RC Racer
    I have come to the conclusion that when i return back home here in the next couple weeks i will be selling the trucks. is there anyone that would be possibly interested in the trucks? i would be selling the trucks and everything that i have for them. if so send me a pm with your email so it will be easier to contact you. and i will do my best to supply of a list of everything included and a price.

other things came up and i need to sell these so i can get my car back on the road.

thanks.
    Last edited by Cheyenne91; 04-09-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added info

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can post them for sale on the market forum.

RC Qualifier
    I will be interested in your 4x4. rgoldman1977@gmail.com
    SUMMIT,P4DE,MERV

RC Racer
    Now posted in the market section

RC Racer
    Alright i know this video isn't of my 4x4 but it it is a video of my 2x4 and i thought you would all kinda get a laugh out of it. i was surprised that i actually had it recorded.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast