Castle Link Live

Quote from the CEO of Castle...

CURRENT CASTLE LINK VERSION: 3.50.20
    RELEASE DATE: 02-22-12

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

NOTE - this version of firmware supports Castle Link Live -- but does not support a USB live mode. USB live mode should be added in the next full release.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What do you suppose USB Live will be? I wonder if it will give you the ability to program your ESC via an iPhone/itouch without using the TQi radio?

That would be sweet.

RC Competitor
    So basically we can now connect the MMM Extreme esc to the castle link and tune it as we would a normal Mamba monster ?

RC Qualifier
    The next time I power my car it will automatically download?

RC Enthusiast
    Sort of confused at the moment. So I guess this just lets me plug the esc into the computer with the castle programming cable? There is NO update to the software on the I-device. Seems that though it "supports" castle link live, there is NO actual castle link live at the moment... Guess its a step in the right direction..

Sorry guys I dont have all the answers nor a XO-1 to try it for myself. My understanding is this upgrade will allow you to use Castle Link with your stock ESC now. So you can tune it and I thought allow you change a setting, maybe turn off CLL or something so you would now be able to use after market radio if you so desire. You guys with the car will have to tinker around with it and see what is up and then let us know
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah- After downloading the new castlelink software, I am able to attach the esc to the computer with the castle link USB cable and make adjustments to the esc (under tabs basic, power, advanced, throttle curve, brake curve). Looks pretty standard.

The default curves are all straight. To my surprise, punch control is already disabled. Torque limit is 5. Start power is low.

Under advanced, there is the option to disable castle link live with a specific comment stating this should be disabled If you are using a non-link capable receiver. Should solve the aftermarket receiver compatibility issues for this who have them. Can't confirm it though.

Torque limit is 5.
    I wonder if that is what is causing the so called lag or lack of punch. I tried that same setting on my MMP/3800kv set up in my Rustler and hated the feel, it took all the snappiness out of the throttle and it indeed felt like it lagged or took a while to get up to power.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    So the punch can't be adjusted? That's exactly what's causing the "lag". My MMM ESC feels so much better than the stock one did.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    So the punch can't be adjusted? That's exactly what's causing the "lag". My MMM ESC feels so much better than the stock one did.

Think you are miss reading or miss understanding. The punch control is disabled as it is with all Castle ESC by default if you want to add some you can. I think the lag is coming from the "Torque Control" which on all other Castle ESC comes disabled adn you have to do the motor test then add it if you want. On the XO-1 it appears to come with a default setting of 5 which I THINK is what is causing the so called lag.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Think you are miss reading or miss understanding. The punch control is disabled as it is with all Castle ESC by default if you want to add some you can. I think the lag is coming from the "Torque Control" which on all other Castle ESC comes disabled adn you have to do the motor test then add it if you want. On the XO-1 it appears to come with a default setting of 5 which I THINK is what is causing the so called lag.
    OK, I misunderstood. Glad they are fixing that issue.

Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So.... Where is the feature to program from radio? Now we have to wait on traxxas for an update??

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    So.... Where is the feature to program from radio? Now we have to wait on traxxas for an update??
    From what Patrick said at RC Monster that is up to Castle as well and it will be coming in yet another future update to Castle Link Live.

EDIT: Just went back and read what Patrick posted, now I am not sure if that is coming from Castle or Traxxas, I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well the features would have to be in the traxxas app right?

Surely traxxas isn't expecting us to switch apps to make adjustments? To my knowledge there isn't a idevice app from Castle.

I've been eagerly awaiting these updates, and appears the wait is far from over.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Well the features would have to be in the traxxas app right?

Surely traxxas isn't expecting us to switch apps to make adjustments? To my knowledge there isn't a idevice app from Castle.

I've been eagerly awaiting these updates, and appears the wait is far from over.
    I dont think we know if what is needed is already in the app or not. The only thing for certain I know is Castle has said they are not done yet and there is more coming in a future update, exactly what I am unclear on.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I just played around some more with the car. Did some casual runs with torque limit initially at 5 (default) and then ran again with the limit at 10. The car has a LOT more punch at 10. Seems to have been the issue all along. Currently running a24T pinion. You definitely need to be careful with the throttle.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by iaanr View Post
    I just played around some more with the car. Did some casual runs with torque limit initially at 5 (default) and then ran again with the limit at 10. The car has a LOT more punch at 10. Seems to have been the issue all along. Currently running a24T pinion. You definitely need to be careful with the throttle.
    Thats fantastic news! I haven't had a chance to play with mine yet, but I was really hopeful that this update would at least let us get some snap back in the throttle.

Sounds very promising!

RC Champion
    I'm willing to bet that the moderate torque setting was to help reduce current bursts (and protect batteries/ESC), particularly when using the alternate high gearing. I'm also curious what kinds of currents you guys are pulling at various settings/gearings. Too bad there isn't a logger I know of that will measure high enough, you'd need something capable of capturing at least 400-500A peaks.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Champion
    That and the low start power but the Lvc is set too low imo for those kind of spikes at 3.2v per.

RC Competitor
    Did you try "disable" also? I tried the limit at 10 and it had more punch than when it was 5. But I tried disable and it seems like that had more punch than 10.

RC Enthusiast
    Haven't tried disable for the torque limit yet. Must have overlooked that option. Is it under custom? I'd certainly expect it to have some more punch. This thing is great. Its making my old TC4 on 3S with a VXL feel like a toy.

RC Competitor
    Haven't tried disable for the torque limit yet. Must have overlooked that option. Is it under custom? I'd certainly expect it to have some more punch. This thing is great. Its making my old TC4 on 3S with a VXL feel like a toy.
    Disable is towards 0. It has the * so it is a default setting. Let me know what you think of it when it is disabled.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    See, now wouldn't it be groovy to be able to adjust the torque control on the fly, you could match the performance to the day, in real time....

Lets go Traxxas! Sounds like Castle did their part, now yall gotta update the TQi.

Yeah- After downloading the new castlelink software, I am able to attach the esc to the computer with the castle link USB cable and make adjustments to the esc (under tabs basic, power, advanced, throttle curve, brake curve). Looks pretty standard.

The default curves are all straight. To my surprise, punch control is already disabled. Torque limit is 5. Start power is low.

Under advanced, there is the option to disable castle link live with a specific comment stating this should be disabled If you are using a non-link capable receiver. Should solve the aftermarket receiver compatibility issues for this who have them. Can't confirm it though.
    Really interesting to know, cuz Ive read reviews and people complaining that the XO is slow to start, but faster on half acceleration and up. This explains everything. Nice work.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Sorry guys I dont have all the answers nor a XO-1 to try it for myself. My understanding is this upgrade will allow you to use Castle Link with your stock ESC now. So you can tune it and I thought allow you change a setting, maybe turn off CLL or something so you would now be able to use after market radio if you so desire. You guys with the car will have to tinker around with it and see what is up and then let us know
    Hey Dadx2mj, could you please assist with my castle link issue thread I just started?? Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bump.

Because the new Castle update did allow us to turn off torque limiting, which gets the XO feeling like a normal car, with a nice crisp throttle response. I'm very thankful to Castle for releasing this update. I upped my LVC, added drag brakes, disabled torque limiting... all of that is dreamy.

BUT....

Whats up with Traxxas not supporting CLL on the TQi?????

Head of Castle says oh its so cool seeing the esc temp, and making adjustments in real time.... Meaning he's used it! We know it exists!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo, President of Castle Creations
    This is also our first ESC to implement our "Castle Link Live" operating mode, which reports ESC data in real-time to the receiver without using any external wiring. This allows the ESC data (like RPM, temperature, etc.) to be displayed in real-time on the IPhone/Ipod touch application.

Very cool implementation.
    Traxxas, how long you going to make us wait? Take the money and run eh, no updates?

Considering the lack of a straight answer from Traxxas on this one I'm starting to think we'll never get Castle Link Live on the TQi.
    Last edited by ducati777; 03-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.

ducati777 the way I read what Patrick posted you can already do what he is talking about as in read temps and RPM in real time. You seem to think you are going to be able to access and control all the setting Castle Link offers from the radio but I have never seen anyone from Castle or Traxxas promise that. If that is what you are talking about can you point me to where you saw someone say that is coming?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    do we have the option to program the xo-1 via pc and usb cable as of right now??

...and CastleLink adapter or FieldLink card? I believe so.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas Link is not a Castle programmer. Perhaps that will change in the future, but there's no announcement waiting to be made or plan in the works that I know of. Nothing is being held back from you, there's no Beta being tested, there's no switch we could throw to turn on some extra functionality that we're depriving you of.

Nor have we ever claimed that Traxxas Link is a Castle programmer. I understand you want that, but it doesn't do that, and nothing is "mising" from Traxxas Link that we said it would have.

Expressing your disappointment that the feature set isn't there is fine, but once is enough. Bashing us over it isn't going to be an incentive to change the app.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey a straight answer! Thats all I'm asking for.

I'm disapointed, but at least I know there's nothing more to wait for... which is a real shame, because it certainly could be done. Why wouldn't Traxxas want to be the first company to support Castle Link Live? Why would Patrick mention ESC data being available through an iphone app? I can go dig up the posts where he talked about remote real time programming of the Castle ESC if it would help.

While I understand dad is a little confused on this one, but right now we don't get any information out of the ESC itself. We get motor temp from an external sensor, and we get calculated RPM by measuring center shaft rpm and multiplying by the gear ratio set in the garage... also from an external sensor, but we don't get anything out of the esc.

I'm sure Traxxas feels thats a Castle feature, and if they want to develope an app its on them. While thats a reasonable stance, this new ESC was made specifically for Traxxas.... expecting your users to change apps while running a 100+ mph car seems unreasonable. I'd have to jump in and out of apps to adjust the car, and then the ESC separately. But as Neil Young sang, love the one your with.

Peter you guys could quell a lot of drama by simply being more straight forward with your information. I appreciate your response, and I'll stop hoping for an update.

ducati77: you get the information as soon as and as complete as anybody can give it. There is only one party to the drama. If you think you can do better, by all means do so. But please stop the inordinate amount of complaining.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately, I'm not privy to everything, and even if I were, I'm sure there are moves Traxxas doesn't want to announce until it's ready to make them. I'm also not able to look at the forums every day, so I'm often late to the game. That's why my email is in my sig--so you guys can say "Pete! we need you!" It's as close as I'll get to a bat-signal.

Duc, make no mistake, we greatly appreciate super-users like yourself, and I say: keep pushing us! As long as the message is "it would be great if you did this!" and not "you guys are jerks if you don't do this!" you'll get no beef from us