RC Qualifier

LiPo's Dangerous?

I've heard lots of stories of LiPos and NiMH batteries exploding. It sounds like any battery can be dangerous is used improperly. I have only had NiMH up to this point. I was recently researching LiPo batteries and discovered that Apple uses LiPos in almost all their electronics. Is it true that they are safe unless you are not smart and charge them improperly?
    Last edited by kwe; 02-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.

RC Champion
    if you look after them. then 99% of the time all will be fine. but in some cases they do go wrong even when treated the right way.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Knowing is half the battle... who said that?

LIpos are no more or less dangerous than any other battery technology. They simply need to be treated properly. Most people assume NiCd and NiMh packs are super safe and can be treated however without problems. But that Lipos will explode if not treated properly. The truth is, a NIMH pack can actually be MORE dangerous than a LIpo in terms of harm to a person because nimh cells can "pop" in a much more explosive way. Lipos don't "explode" the VENT with a flame. So fire is a very real hazard but they are not likely to blow your hand off or go shooting across a room and hit someone. A Nimh cell CAN do this.

At the end of the day though, it is ALL about how they are treated while both charging AND discharging them. Also extremely important is storage. If you treat any of these batteries incorrectly you can have serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Knowing is half the battle... who said that? The guy who won the battle.

LiPos are no more or less dangerous than any other battery technology. They simply need to be treated properly. Most people assume NiCd and NiMH packs are super safe and can be treated however without problems. But that LiPos will explode if not treated properly. The truth is, a NiMH pack can actually be MORE dangerous than a LiPo in terms of harm to a person because NiMH cells can "pop" in a much more explosive way. LiPos don't "explode," they VENT with a flame. So fire is a very real hazard but they are not likely to blow your hand off or go shooting across a room and hit someone. A NiMH cell CAN do this.

At the end of the day though, it is ALL about how they are treated while both charging AND discharging them. Also extremely important is storage. If you treat any of these batteries incorrectly you can have serious issues.
    Very well posted. There are precious few energy-dense power sources that are not at least somewhat volatile. Any battery is just stored (potential) energy. EN-ER-GY. So is a stretched rubber band or compressed coil spring. If any one of these has a catastrophic energy release, something is bound to be damaged. I have seen many more legitimate cases of NiMH cells failing forcefully than LiPo cells performing seppuku.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

it's safe as long as you following the the proper measures while using it.
    some people and i'm happy that they are few, doesn't pay attention to the safety steps that must be taken.
    for example, being careless to check the battery body from time to time, or using low quality packs or/and chargers.
    another example happened with me twice and i did posted a thread about one , when i used a low quality charger that kept charging the battery pack forever !
    these types of charger that lead to danger shouldn't been ever used.
    examples are many.. some hobbyest don't uses a body shell for their rc cars and when it got fliped or hit something hard they never inspect the battery body, this is another reason why some guys mentioned bad stories about lipo.

bottom line, take the standard precaution and you'll be fine ...... and happy

I highly recommend learning all about em. Especially how to charge them properly, And using a proper Lipo Bag, and or money safe when chargin them. They are not expensive at all, and if something goes wrong, they will pay for themselves 10000X over again.

Ive seen a guy on here who charges/stores inside two different Lipo bags, and a Fireproof Safe.

This is how " I ' do it..

But check out this links, It has a TON of info, and shows how many Lipos have caused, what damage...
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

FIRE DURING CHARGING:
    Operator Error-
    9s pack catches fire while being charged at 10s setting. (9)
    2s pack catches fire being charged as 3s (10)
    2s pack catches fire when charged at 3s setting (13)
    2s pack catches fire in plane while charging at 3s setting. (22)
    3s pack charged at 4s voltage ignites (27)
    2s pack catches fire charged at 3s (30)
    2s pack ignites when charged at 10.2V (31)
    Overcharged battery (34)
    2s pack charged at 11.1V catches fire. (36)
    2s pack charged at 3s setting (40)
    2s pack charges at 11.1V burns – (44)
    and many many many many more on this list................

Not to scare, But peoples homes HAVE been burned down because of chargin Lipos incorrectly. Few times its because of something out of someones control, Like a charger or something. But for those reasons, thats why its good to be safe

RC Competitor
    I charge and store all my lipos in US military ammo cans.You can find them cheap and they are real tough. I drill a 3/4 inch hole up high in the side of the can and put the charge wires through the hole and lock the lid down. Any sealed steel or metal locking can should have a decent size hole drilled in it, as long as the hole is pointed away from anything burnable it will contain the fire in a controllable fashion. Never store a lipo in a sealed container for the simple fact that if a battery decides to flare up in a sealed container it can blow the container up with explosive results.

Thats a really good idea REM. I like it.

RC Qualifier
    Charge it in the bag, store it in the can. I don't fully lock down the top because I'm not sure I want to drill a hole in it...do I have to drill a hole in it? Ugh...oh well it was only $25 for two of them. Note: that green stuff is thin flexible foam from a craft store or something that my wife had, it's adhesive on one side...keeps stuff from getting bashed around inside. I actually use the smaller ammo can to hold my receiver, it's much smaller and the thing fits perfectly.

Last edited by Toyboarder; 02-25-2012 at 02:13 AM.
    P2de VXL - Summit