RC Enthusiast

MERV Backflip practice = screwed up diff today - question?

So today I was practicing backflips with my stock MERV (bad idea I guess), and after a really ugly landing, the truck started clicking everytime the wheels spun, and the wheels had a LOT of resistance with every click. I took it inside to make sure it wasn't anything stuck in the tranny gears, so I think it's a diff again.

HOWEVER, I recharged the battery and took it out an hour later for a test-drive. Surprisingly, nearly ALL of the resistance to the wheels was gone. There was still just a tiny bit that kept the front wheels from coming off the ground so easily, and clicking was still slightly audible during quick take-offs, but much less noticeably.

Do you all think I still need to replace the diff? I don't know if I'll do the truck any damage by just driving it as-is; it's still fast as heck and the now-barely-audible clicking doesn't seem to hinder it at all.

Thanks in advance!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    best to check it, landing under power and standing backflips is a stupid idea, unless you realize you are going to chip teeth off of the gears

i would also check your driveshafts, the u joints and the youkes, as well as the little threaded pins that hold them all on, the axles, those same pins as well

RC Champion
    hahah shim that stuff man
    6.25% /

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks pal. I'm just using the stock Nimh battery so I can't do standing backflips with that - I was just practicing backflip jumps. I'm not that experienced on RC jumping, so quick question: When landing from a backflip (or any jump), it's wisest to tap the brakes before landing to slow the wheels, then land with throttle at neutral, correct? Thanks, sorry that's off-topic.

RC Enthusiast
    Gully, could you post a link to some instructions on how to shim a diff? I frankly have no idea how to do that, or even what that means. LOL

RC Champion
    I think its best to just take your finger off the trigger completely for the split second before and after you land..

and shim your diffs up
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpo4life View Post
    Gully, could you post a link to some instructions on how to shim a diff? I frankly have no idea how to do that, or even what that means. LOL
    hahah my bad, I didn't know either a month ago.. check out jimmie neutrons post about shimming your diff

it has two videos that explain it all
    6.25% /

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks bro. Much appreciated.

RC Competitor
    Just a heads up, mine wouldn't take a shim in the back and took two in the front.

RC Champion
    Yeah, they all seem to be different.. have to figure it out for yourself I guess
    6.25% /

RC Qualifier
    Guaranteed your diffs are chipped.

The ol backflip lesson. I bet everyone has done it and then vowed never again to backflip when they realize the work it takes to replace the ring gear. Haha

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Can I run the truck as-is for awhile or will it cause more damage if I do? It still runs great. I dread taking all that crap apart...

RC Racer
    I was the same way about dreading to tear my new rc. Just have patients, take notes and pictures of what goes where. You can always find exploded views on the traxxas website. Not as bad as it sounds. In fact I have to replace the chassis on mine tonight and Ive never been in the tranny before.

RC Qualifier
    Yep you gotta. If your diff isn't catching you'll burn out your tranny/motor

RC Champion
    yeah, it sucks waiting to get back in action lol

I'm definitely getting 2 more trucks in the summer so I don't have to go through this torture againnnn
    6.25% /

RC Qualifier
    Also check your spur gear. i had a simmilar problem after a hard landing, my gear mesh had gotten a bit messed up and i stripped the spur gear a bit. had the same kinda clicking
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.