RC Racer

Need advice on Gearing

hey every one i just got my dirt hawgs and my new rulux wheels on my 1/16 and it feels like it has no get up and go. I am running a 2s 2200 ***** lipo thrasher bumper, t bone full skid, slash body, aluminum knuckles and leds. I have alot of weight on her I am running the 23t gear tht came with it how much lower do i need to go? thanks

RC Qualifier
    19 would probably be a good start, then play with it from there. it never hurts to have several gear sizes; I have everything from 16 to 35 to play with, but by gearing setup is irreverent with a 1/10th motor bolted to it
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Racer
    I just put dirt hawgs on mine as well and running 2 2s *****s in parallel. I'm running 19/50 and I'm pretty happy with this for bashing. Although it wont wheelie unless I have complete traction. I'll probably get some 3s lipos soon to do speed runs. If your looking for alot of torque you could go for 16/50 thats what the mini summit has. But the esc would most likely thermal.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    I just put dirt hawgs on mine as well and running 2 2s *****s in parallel. I'm running 19/50 and I'm pretty happy with this for bashing. Although it wont wheelie unless I have complete traction. I'll probably get some 3s lipos soon to do speed runs. If your looking for alot of torque you could go for 16/50 thats what the mini summit has. But the esc would most likely thermal.
    is your motor staying pretty cool with 19/50? are you running both lipos in parallel?

RC Champion
    I thought if you geared the pinion lower,it means more torque and cooler esc/motor?
    6.25% /

RC Competitor
    im about to run 25t 32p pinion 58t 32p spur will this overheat

RC Qualifier
    When you gear lower, it makes the motor cooler but the esc warmer, as well as increases torque and decreases top speed.

RC Champion
    Think about the gearing for a moment:

Changing your gearing will not affect how fast your motor spins.

If your motor spins at 30,000rpm and you have a 20 tooth pinion and a 40 tooth pinion, when you use the 20 tooth you will drive the spur gear HALF as fast as if you had a 40 tooth pinion. If you had a 20 tooth SPUR and a 40 tooth spur on a 20 tooth pinion, the motor will drive the transmission half as fast with the 40 tooth spur as it will the 20 tooth spur. HOWEVER since most people always change the pinion and not the spur, remember this:

The more teeth on the pinion, the faster the car will go.

Now Gully you mentioned you figured lower spur means more torque thus cooler esc/motor:

If the spur gear is 20 teeth vs 40 teeth, it will spin twice as fast. SO the less teeth on the spur, the faster the car will go. The bigger the spur, the slower it will go. If you have a low pinion AND a high tooth spur, it will be very slow, and very torquey.

Not sure if this is all making sense - taken a phone call while I was writing this haha - but my point is this:

The more teeth there are on a gear, the longer it takes it to rotate one full revolution. 40 teeth takes longer to complete one revolution than does 20 teeth. That's all that matters, aside from: PINION goes on the motor shaft, SPUR is the interface between the motor shaft pinion and the transmission.

EDIT: Sorry Gully, you mentioned pinion not spur. Yes, lower pinion tooth count means slower thus cooler operation and more torque. For every revolution it only has to mesh the gear 20 times on 20 tooth, vs 30 times on a 30 tooth. To move a gear through 30 teeth per revolution takes more power, and thus generates more heat but clearly gives you more speed.
    Last edited by krallopian; 02-28-2012 at 04:33 PM.

RC Racer
    @ Nkracl
    Yes im running parallel and the temps are great. Barely getting warm today when I ran my merv. Although its about 40 out now so well see if it gets warmer as we near summer.