Thread: Sleeve pincher?

RC Champion

Sleeve pincher?

Has any one used a piston sleeve pincher? If yes, How well does the engine perform now? If you havent tried it, please dont tell me the reasons of why it wont work. I am really looking for information from people that has tried it. Or know someone who has.

do they sell one? what is it suppose to do? havent heard of that before, where do you buy it, pm link if you can.
    Living life.

Be wary of the clamps most are selling as a sleeve pinching tool, they are not.

Does it look like this? This is a piping clamp, cost about $2.50~~not for pinching engine sleeves.

Send it to RayAracing, google him.

You can get an easy extra 3~5 gallons out of a properly repinched sleeve.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 03-01-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I am in the process of pinching a 3.3 and 2.5 sleeve. It took a while before we found the right tool for the job, hose clamps do not work. A homemade custom tool worked well. So far the 3.3 has a pretty tight sleeve and 2.5 just needs to be pinched a bit more. I'll update you more in a few days.
    back

The Wildman is right and Ray Racing does a good job. +1

I'd verify your conrod is on good shape, same as you would for a rebuild. Put 1 drop of motor oil over the conrod where it is on the crankashaft, turn the flywheel, if it pushes the oil completely out of the conrod connection to the crankshaft your conrod is worn.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    I cant mention the type of engine. But it is a direct replacement for traxxas engines. Everything is in good shape. Here is the scenario. I was having a hard time getting the engine to start. It had a ton of compression. When I did get it to start it wouldnt generate any power. So I took it apart to find the rear bearing was sloppy. I replaced the bearing and it spins smooth. I totally reassembled the engine and it doesnt seam to have as much compression as it should. I removed the cooling head and filled the top of the piston with wd40. None of the wd40 leaked into the block. I am worried that once the engine comes to operating temperature it will not have any pinch. So I want to repinch the sleeve.
    The pincher I found was like the one wildman pictured. A new piston and sleeve is $97. I can get a 3.3 for $110. I hate to replace this engine. It produced a ton of power prior to the bearing failure. The engine does start right up and idles perfect. I have not tested to see if it looses pinch. I am just preparing for the worst.

RC Champion
    ive never used one per say, they are supposedly very tricky to use right. probably an art more than anything else. but ive had many piston/sleeve sets pinched. i use o.s. rocket. ive had trx 15's, a number of os 12 and 15's, a novarossi .12, a few big blocks as well, .21's, a pair of .26's. my only gripe with him is that he'll sometimes over pinch stuff a little which mean you have to really work the engine during break-in. but i send them in with a bunch of other people at my club and for like 30 bucks who can complain.

as i understand it you can get away with having the sleeve re-sized/pinched a few times. as long as its an abc sleeve and there are no gouges or other major damage.
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

RC Champion
    First off I would like to thank everybody for the input and advice. I took it for a spin today to see if it would loose pinch after heating up. I ran it pretty hard and got the temperature up to 280deg. Plenty of power and pulled wheelies with little effort. OH, This engine is mounted on my Revo. I ran 2 tanks thru it back to back without a cool down and had no problems. It still doesnt have alot of pinch but it runs great. Now I am just wondering how long it will last. I have more pinch in an old 2.5 engine than I do on this .21. I hope its not the begining of the end. I love this engine. But I dont want to spend $100 on a piston and sleeve. I would love to ask peoples opinion of this engine. But I dont know how to reference it without breaking the rules. I will say its made specifically for the Revo or Tmaxx and its a .21 direct drop in.

If you are talking about an O.S. engine, you can talk about the engine, but any support about it will cause this thread to be closed. Any specific assistance needed for the engine will need to be taken up with the manufacturer.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Thanks for clearing that up. OK. I am refeering to the OS .21TM with a THS 1046 pipe. Anybody had experience with this engine? I have maybe 5 1/2 to 6 gals thru it. I use 30% EB Mods Race. Only time it ever overheated was with bearing failure. Average running engine temp is around 280-290. Engine temp on overheat went to 304. Do you think I wiped it? Its running real good for as easy it turns over. I am baffled. I would expect it to have poor performance.

RC Champion
    no, not at all a big block is safe to about 330 i would say.

if it still runs good keep going. just maybe once over the internals and have at it.

youl;l know its lost its pinch when the only way it runs is stupid fat and as soon as any heat gets into the engine it cuts.

RC Champion
    I hope this isnt the same 21tm ur selling me with the revo? Cause i dont want an old warn out engine. Thought U said u ran 2 gallons through this engine?
    Nitro rustler 2.5 x2, lrp revo,

RC Champion
    LOL! You wiped it just by running at 280-290 all the time. And 330 is bad news SRT racer. It's also not a big block.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    LOL! You wiped it just by running at 280-290 all the time. And 330 is bad news SRT racer. It's also not a big block.
    Funny... I have always been told that anything over .18 is considered a big block
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

The OS 21tm is specifically designed to fit in the small block foot print, you would need a BB chassis or MonoBlock to run a true BB in a maxx or the BB mount for a revo.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte_1977 View Post
    Funny... I have always been told that anything over .18 is considered a big block
    yeah, last 12 years of my life i was under the distinct impression that anything bigger than an 18 was a big block.

hmm

when i raced 1/8th nitro late model i ran my big blocks well past 330. my cutoff point was about 350.

then again i wanted to win too.

RC Champion
    I understand wanting to win, and they can take it for a short time, but 270-280 is a wll known high temp limit.
    The traxxas 3.3 is a .20, and not a big block either...in fact, the picco .26 is also not a big block.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum