RC Qualifier

First alley post! - rc maintenance/repairs blunders

Hey all, little intro for those who don't know me. I'm Joe (obviously!) drive a pede and am currently building a rusty. Thinking of a 4x4 next but don't know whethe to stick 1/10 or go 1/8!

Thought I'd drop in and start this thread, see what interesting stories we can get out of it!

Just mid way through a maintenance check - no idea why these things take me a few nights of work, just don't get the solid time I need! So after last weekends bashing (video in the pede vid section) its time to fix up and keep everything nice and oiled moving freely and all. Needed to get into the motor and make sure all was good in there, as I hadn't opened it since Christmas, and as some of you guys know I like my water driving! Luckily I got away with it, the bearings were running free and well, so dropped some grease in them and rebuilt the motor - good for another day.

Got the entire front end cleaned and back on now, but it's going to have to come back off for extending the battery tray for my new battery, and hopefully by then I'll have the red slayer links in stock and can put them on before the next session (thedreadedend's mod). So it's just leaving me the rear end, transmission rebuild, carriers - check the bearings - and generally wipe as much mud off as possible! Try to make those green carriers nice and green again!

But as I started to remove one of the carriers I made a bit of a blunder. Thought it may be an interesting thread to have: name your worst blunder in a repair!

For example what I just did:
    Removing the carrier I was using my pliers to pull out the king pin that holds it in place (on the rear of the truck). And for some reason it was fairly stiff - no bend and no reason for binding apart from maybe some dirt. Never mind I think, my trusty leather an will pull it out no problem. So off I go pulling it out. Now as we all know for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction, when the pin finally popped out the front of the truck jumped forward and straight into my full glass of squash that I was looking forward to drinking! "ah joe that's not too bad" I hear you all say. Interestingly though my iPhone was sat right next to the glass that went everywhere :s. needless to say it took me about 2 seconds to get a towel and start drying it thinking please - oh god please! (let's face it buying a new iPhone would just take funds from the RC budget!). But it seems as though I got lucky this time, the phone came out unscathed!

Blunder grrr! Time to stop work on the truck and move to another to for the evening!

So here is my question, what is the worst or most odd blunder you have done when repairing/maintaining any of your RC's?

RC Champion
    Haha that's a funny but close call man.
    Well, I've filled unsealed differentials with silicone oil, ugh. Big mess, still haven't gotten all that goo off the chassis yet
    Matthew 7:7

RC Racer
    Only big one Ive had is changing the shock oil and forgot to put oil in the shocks after I installed them back on. Oops. That became my first oil change while the bottom was still mounted.

RC Champion
    ive done very similar things joe. more then a few times ive done it and whacked myself on the head from the force. luckily its always been in the pits at the track for all my friends to see and tease me about on the driverstand.

big foul up i had the other week. rebuilding a brushed motor, went through all the prep work on this set of new brushes and here i was prepping lay-down brushes instead of stand-ups. even went so far as to solder them to the brush hoods and slide them in (it was a perfect textbook solder job on the brush shunts too). only reason i caught it was because i wanted the shunts coming out at the same spots on both sides.

im always making mistakes but like any great master ive learned to fix them too (atleast thats what i tell myself)
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

OK, Just picture this.....

Nov 2004, I get a bonus at work (wow that doesn't happen anymore)... I go buy my 1st Nitro, TMAXX 2.5....
    I've had it about a month and have learned tuning. I was what I felt was adjusting my throttle linkage and had the throttle disconnected form my carb... It was late so I just put things away and did not re-connect my linkage or make it very noticeable that it was disconnected...

A few days past,,,, Ahhh Weekend.... Time to fire up the TMAXX and have some fun... I thought...

So I grab my EZ start stick, fuel things up, had my batts on charge the night before..... Got my tuning screwdriver just in case....

I turn on my radio, plop the EZ start on it fires up and goes full throttle down the street,,, straight down the street too!!!!! 2nd gear kicks in, it's screaming down the road and heads right for a Mailbox Post. Hence the term, Nitronaught Brake mod.... lolll

Now if you could see the expression on my face you would not be able to avoid pure laughter as you see a grown man, controller in one hand, EZ start in another looking absolutely confused as to what the heck happened....

It really would have helped if I had remembered to turn my receiver on....... DUh!!!!!! But even though I did that it would have been helpful if I had my linkage on as well... Double Duh!!!!!
    Throttle return spring installed as soon as the chassis got replaced and the bulheads upgraded.... Busted the chassis at the tabs....

The Nitronaught brake mod is simple, Mailbox posts, excuse me guys who've been here a while, they know... But it adds no extra weight to your RC and can bring ANY RC to a full AND complete stop instantly. Some slight side affects (broken parts)...

And here's one you do not want to use for brakes/breaks...

All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Awesome, well within the limits of the thread! Some good stories gere, and i didnt realise when i started that this could help mewer people avoid some of those obvios errors that im sure even the best people here still make! Sometimes that one simple easy always done check can be so easy to overlook - "ah i always check that itll be fine!".

Though on a sympathetic note it is a shame to hear about a few of these, the mailbox mod made me laugh! And of course Making the same mistake as me - just glad i was alone at the time lol. And as for you guys with the oil messes... Well like i say simple mistakes are sometimes the hardest to avoid .

Keep them coming, im sure there are some more lurking around!
    VXL P2de, rusty MMP Orion vortex, mid '90's P2de

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I know I've made many blunders over the years. The one that stands out the most is from when I worked at Hobbytown. As long as things were done and no customer work needed doing, my boss didn't mind me working on my own cars at work. I had just gotten a new IB Nimh pack, and I had torn it apart to make it a side by side pack with some new Dean's bars. I was just about finished, when a customer comes in and starts asking me questions. I was being helpful, focusing more on him than on what I was doing. I just had to solder on the last bit and I was done. I sat the pack aside and was going to show the guy something, when he looks at the desk, and asks, "Should that be smoking like that?" Aaaaahhh! No!! Hold on, I have to fix that! Got the cell switched, quickly, but it never performed as it should have and shortened its life dramatically....ooooppps
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Competitor
    I tore apart the 3.3 on my jato to make sure all was well. Upon reassembly, I found that the ez start just spun. So I switched the leads on the ez start motor to reverse its direction (thinking I had put them on backwards) and it spun the motor as intended... almost. I then took my jato outside to run it, and found that the engine would start and rev up, but the car wouldnt move. I had also installed the one way bearing backwards and my motor was spinning in the opposite direction. A fair bit of foul language followed shortly thereafter, but no permanent damage was done.

RC Qualifier
    i had a new slash 4x4 and i went to run it and i noticed it only had half throttle. i said to myself no there is no way i put it in training mode so i take it to the lhs after almost 2 hours of trying to diagnose problems. so he said it would be a week till he got to it. he calls me a week and a half later saying my esc was in training mode. i facepalmed hard and went and got my slash
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Enthusiast
    I had a good lesson building my first t-maxx from all used parts, long story short I got it all together took it out and started it up , ran good brakes worked ok lets go up this little hill.... Got to the top, lost signal took off and I couldnt see it. heard it crash into something so I ran to see what it was. Could not find it. Turns out smashed through my neighbors basement window and was in the basement just ideling away. And he was on vacation two states away. Found out my rx's wire was cut at the base of the box. Oops

RC Qualifier
    My favorite one of my blunders so far is when I had just rebuilt and put a new motor in my e revo. I was stoked to try out my new 6 pole brushless. I had also just put on some new trenches. Being used to a 2wd truck I lifted up the rear wheels and punched the throttle on 4s and drug myself off the couch and over the coffe table.

RC Qualifier
    Nice some good ones coming out there!

Geo3xk, how long was it before you got the truck back?
    VXL P2de, rusty MMP Orion vortex, mid '90's P2de

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesStampede View Post
    Nice some good ones coming out there!

Geo3xk, how long was it before you got the truck back?
    I called my neighbor and climbed in the broken window to get it:sly:. Plus I went and bought some plexiglass to close it up seeing as it would be two Weeks before hed be back. I still get harrased everyday I drive in his driveway.

RC Racer
    My biggest blunder was when I converted my original .15 max to the 2.5 motor. I did all the linkage and got everything adjusted. Took it out for a spin and all was fine until my receiver battery went flat. I did have a fail safe on it but in my haste to get the Maxx started I didn't reset it for the reversed servo direction for the 2.5 linkage. The truck went straight up my nieghbors drive way at full throttle and was stopped by the garage door. The best thing was that he just replaced the door and now the lower section had a huge dent in it. I had to come clean as soon as he came home and paid to have the lower section replaced. That was a nice $200 lesson.
    Original Maxx with RPM wide arms, big bore shocks and 2.5R, Revo with P2's and stock Jato

RC Champion
    well i just had a funny experience.......

so when you have the cap removed from a shock full of oil fully compressed and you pull down on the shaft/piston all the oil behind it normally shoots out. well i was rebuilding a pair of shocks on my traxxas based sprint car and what did i do? well i looked right down the barrel of the gun and shot the nasty gunky oil right in my dang eye.

now heres the thing. ive done this before too so you would think i learned my lesson. last time i did it i did it i think 2-3 times in a row while building some big ole 1/8th scale truggy shocks.

i always believed the definition of stupidity is making a mistake and not learning from it... so where does that leave me?
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

RC Champion
    My worst RC blunder was trying to use a nail to clear a clogged can of spray paint,with the can aimed at my face. I got me a cool new red face and it took hours to get all the paint off of my glasses.

Its one of the few times that I've actually been happy about my rapidly failing near vision.

My worst maintenance blunder- packing way too much grease in the transmission on one of my wife's Non-Traxxas RCs. The poor thing was so tight that the motor couldn't spin the trans over. So thinking the first battery was almost dead, I grabbed a higher power, freshly charged battery pack and smoked a brand new Traxxas Stinger motor before I figured out what the problem was.

There's nothing like the smell of burnt armature varnish to bring the wife running in to find out what was on fire,lol.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx