RC Racer

I've never laughed this hard or had so much fun!

So I have been playing with 2s lipos in my merv. Decent speed and great for bashing because 2s lipo is quick yet still controllable. So I decided it was time to go faster and see what the little 380 motor could do. I picked up two 3s lipos and hooked them up in parralel. Oh man this is fun. I still have this big stupid grin on my face of how quick she was. On 2s lipos you get to about 2/3 throttle and that's about all she has. On 3s lipos you hit 2/3 throttle and punch it she's takes off like mad! I know others have already experienced this but I just had to share my excitement and giggles of hitting 48mph. (Would have tried for a faster run but I hit a stack of pallets at work an broke a couple parts).
    Last edited by arcaptainic; 03-08-2012 at 06:03 PM.

RC Racer
    Yeah I've been running the BOOST 3s lipo and the merv is crazy fast! A lot of fun.....

RC Champion
    I still use NiMH batteries and i can barely control my MERV! But im still brand new to driving a fast RC lol

RC Champion
    me too, was running the nimhs in series today and it was definitely around 45 .. Ill see if I can get a video
    6.25% /

Quote Originally Posted by GULLY View Post
    me too, was running the nimhs in series today and it was definitely around 45 .. Ill see if I can get a video
    If you install the high speed gear, you can hit 50+ MPH!
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Champion
    I installed the high speed pinion and hooked my batteries up in series and tried to do some high speed runs on about 100 yards of road and couldnt even get my wheels to hook up at full throttle lol.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    If you install the high speed gear, you can hit 50+ MPH!
    well if you put "speed" pinion in it actually makes the car have a lower top speed, around 38 maybe 42 mph.. I had the stock pinion in and I was trying to hit 50 but I just dont have the room lol.. Im gunna see if my gf will come with me to get some high speed runs recorded in a parking lot or something.. I seen a nice smooth road not too far away from the house too

kinda wanted to wait until my new wheels, tires come in with the bearings for the rockers and the mini summit purple springs .. so its gunna be a few weeks even before those wheels come in
    6.25% /

RC Champion
    Yeah they call it a SPEED pinion because you use it to go FASTER with more powerful batteries, so where Gully was correct to say if you put the Speed pinion in you would go slower, WITH THE SAME battery, however most people run 2s batteries on stock pinion and THREE cells on the speed pinion, 2s being 7.4v and 3s being 11.1v, so if you have a 5000kv motor on 7.4v your motor top speed is 37000rpm, where as 11.1v top speed is 55500rpm, MUCH faster speed, so to prevent the extra strain on the motor, you put a smaller pinion (speed pinion) on and now even though there are less teeth, you still go faster, and there you have it.

RC Racer
    Haha korn0307. No offence but you would probably poop your pant's on 3s. You have to try it sometime. It will put the biggest, stupidest grin on your face. I'll let everyone know tomorrow what speeds I hit after I get her running again. (Gotta get some tow links and carriers)

RC Champion
    Is it anything like stock batteries in series with a high speed pinion? It would be pretty sick to be able to bash with that much power. But i heard itll smoke the esc if you bash with that setup.

RC Racer
    I would say sort of. You know that first bee line you make with the stock batteries in series is like insane, well I would say 3s is a little more power than that but for the whole run time. It's so much fun. I would say to stock up on drive shafts and tow links and make sure you have rpm a arms or spare stocks when you run 3s. When you hit something at 40-50 mph It can get pretty ugly, like what happened to me. I got off pretty easy though.