RC poster

Question Upgrading Stampede - need some advice

I've got a Stampede that I bought in 2006. It has the Stinger 540 engine and ESC XL-1 I believe.
    I am looking to upgrade my Stampede ESC, motor and batteries and need some advice.
    Also, I need to pick up some new batteries since my old one won't hold a charge anymore. I have a SuperBrain 959 charger already.
    This is for my 13 year old son so I don't want to put alot of money into it. I would like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

RC Champion
    Since yours is the older version, you will need to upgrade the gears into the tranny to metal unless you already have. Otherwise putting more power in the truck will strip the gears. If you need to stay under $100, I would upgrade the tranny gears and then get a new titan/xl-5 combo off of ebay for $50, and an SPC 2s lipo for $30.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorStuff View Post
    Since yours is the older version, you will need to upgrade the gears into the tranny to metal unless you already have. Otherwise putting more power in the truck will strip the gears. If you need to stay under $100, I would upgrade the tranny gears and then get a new titan/xl-5 combo off of ebay for $50, and an SPC 2s lipo for $30.
    Agreed, but you also need to be sure you get the updated xl-5 with low voltage cut off and also a charger if you plan to get LiPo.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Champion
    Here is what I suggest

Electrix esc ECX1070 - 30.00 (Is more powerful than the XL-5)

Team Orion 17T method R ORI25113 - 25.00 (With proper gearing it will offer plenty of torque and long life)

DuraTrax NiMH 7-Cell 4600mAh DTXC2177 40.00 (Many people claim the 4600 is a much better cell than the 5000)

Traxxas Male/Female Connector 3060 4.00 (esc needs to have a plug attached)
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorStuff View Post
    Could you help me out with upgrading the gears in the tranny to metal? I am not sure what gears this would be. Are there some instructions on how to do this somewhere? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    3696 idler gear
    3195 top drive gear
    and i think 2388x planetary gear diff
    Last edited by 4-wheelin; 03-12-2012 at 06:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by trainrec View Post
    Could you help me out with upgrading the gears in the tranny to metal? I am not sure what gears this would be. Are there some instructions on how to do this somewhere? Thanks.
    Best option, and easiest is to just get one off ebay. Plug and play, and already assembled, and cheap, and new...etc.

Then as others have said, you can get a XL-5 + Titan combo off ebay for like $56 or if you want to spend a bit more and don't need it waterproof, a decent cheap brushless combo would be good.

Then for a battery, any Traxxas, Duratrax, or similar Nimh can be had for $30 or so, since going Lipo would require a new charger putting you way over $100 for the lot. With the chop shop transmission, Traxxas ESC/motor, and cheaper 4000-5000mah nimh you're looking at about $112.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Best option, and easiest is to just get one off ebay. Plug and play, and already assembled, and cheap, and new...etc.

Then as others have said, you can get a XL-5 + Titan combo off ebay for like $56 or if you want to spend a bit more and don't need it waterproof, a decent cheap brushless combo would be good.

Then for a battery, any Traxxas, Duratrax, or similar Nimh can be had for $30 or so, since going Lipo would require a new charger putting you way over $100 for the lot. With the chop shop transmission, Traxxas ESC/motor, and cheaper 4000-5000mah nimh you're looking at about $112.
    For the transmission, is this what you are talking about? Does this have the metal gears?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rust...item43adde0b6c

RC Qualifier
    For the transmission, is this what you are talking about? Does this have the metal gears?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Rust...item43adde0b6c
    That's the one

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Here is what I suggest

Electrix esc ECX1070 - 30.00 (Is more powerful than the XL-5)

Team Orion 17T method R ORI25113 - 25.00 (With proper gearing it will offer plenty of torque and long life)

DuraTrax NiMH 7-Cell 4600mAh DTXC2177 40.00 (Many people claim the 4600 is a much better cell than the 5000)

Traxxas Male/Female Connector 3060 4.00 (esc needs to have a plug attached)
    I noticed the Duratrax battery referenced above has the 7th battery at the end of the batteries instead of on the top (hump). Does this require modification of the Stampede battery tray? If I got a battery pack with the 7th battery on the top, would it require less modifications? I am trying to keep this simple and not have alot of modifications to do if possible.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post

Would this be compatible?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-XL-5.../110666805296?
    pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c441 7030

This is the newest esc from traxxas with the low voltage protection. So you can also run lipo batteries safely as well as all your regular nimh batteries.

RC Competitor
    I noticed the Duratrax battery referenced above has the 7th battery at the end of the batteries instead of on the top (hump). Does this require modification of the Stampede battery tray? If I got a battery pack with the 7th battery on the top, would it require less modifications? I am trying to keep this simple and not have alot of modifications to do if possible.
    this is the dtx 4600 that drops right in. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXVHT9&P=8 Im not sure why they say the 4600 is better than the 5000 but i ended up getting the 5000mah because thats all my LHP had and i didnt want to order online and have to wait.

RC Qualifier
    Would this be compatible?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-XL-5.../110666805296?
    pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c441 7030

This is the newest esc from traxxas with the low voltage protection. So you can also run lipo batteries safely as well as all your regular nimh batteries.
    Yea that's the motor/esc combo you'd want. And its the hump battery you want, the stick one won't fit. I've also heard good things about the 4600, but I have the black 5000mah duratrax hump one and it has been fine for me, and holds more than the rated 5000mah too.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You don't need steel gears in the transmission if your planning to run a brushed system. The plastic gears will hold up just fine and can be replaced later on IF they strip or IF you want more power. For now, go with a good ESC/Motor/ Battery combo and you'll be fine.

Since your charger only does NIMH, stick to a NIMH pack. I agree that the Duratrax 4600mah packs are better. I have a buddy who bought a 4600mah and a 5000mah Duratrax pack at the same time. The 5000mah has less power and doesnt last as long as the 4600 does.

I think the XL5 ESC would be a fine upgrade for you. In all reality though, a new motor can be run off the XL1 ESC you already have. You could simply pick up an Electrifly S-600 motor, install that with the XL1 ESC and get a decent battery and you'd be all set.

Sometimes sticking to just the basics to get started is the way to go, put the rest of the money in a jar and save it for when something else breaks (and it will) and upgrade as you go.

RC Champion
    The XL-1 will work fairly well with a good battery and motor. But these two are your best/cheapest options if you want to upgrade. If you want a waterproof esc then the XL-5 is one of the best choices. If you want performance than the ECX1070 will be a better option due to the higher amps it can supply to the motor. I have seen the ECX1070 for 20 dollars which would leave 40 to spend on the motor or bring your total down.

Here are the specs for each

ECX1070

Forward: Electric Capacity (FET) Forward 80 A/240 A
    Reverse: Electric Capacity (FET) Reverse 60 A/160 A
    Input Voltage: 7.2 - 8.4V
    Motor Limit: 12 Turns
    Length: 1.06 inch (27mm)
    Width: 1.38 inch (35mm)
    Height: .68 inch (17.3mm)
    Weight: 1.2 - 1.3 ounce (34 - 36 g)
    BEC Voltage: 5V, 1A
    PWM Frequency: 1KHz

XL-5

On Resistance Forward: 0.007 Ohms
    On Resistance Reverse: 0.014 Ohms
    Peak Current-Fwd/Rev: 100A/60A
    Braking Current: 60A
    Continous Current: 14A
    BEC Voltage: 6.0V DC
    BEC Current: 1A
    Power Wire: 14AWG/ 5"
    Input Harness Type: 26AWG/ 9"
    Transistor Type: MOSFET
    PWM Frequency: 1600Hz
    Thermal Protection: Thermal Shutdown
    Single Button Setup: Yes
    Motor Limit: 15T (540 Size), 12T (550 Size)
    Input Voltage: 4-8 Cells (4.8 to 9.6V DC)
    Weight: 3.07oz (87g)

XL-1

Cells: 4-7
    Weight: 3.4oz
    Amps Continuous: 75
    Amps Peak: 100
    Dimensions including heat sinks: 2.4" long x 1.5" wide x 1.4" high
    Oderint Dum Metuant