RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

My Slash to Rally conversion build.

Its been a bit slow around here so I thought I might as well just put up the work I've been doing on this Rally.

I bought it originally as a nearly new XL2.5/titan 380 powered slash that had basically never been used. I have no interest in a mini slash and I had a VXL 380 motor sitting here so I sold the XL2.5/titan and put the VXL motor in and bought an EZrun 35amp ESC (on its way).

I removed all the slash parts and bought all new rally parts including the front bumper mount, foam bumper, body mounts and a Protoform Tornado rallycross body and the traxxas wing. I also bought an integy motor fan for it. I had a set of original Rally VXL wheels and tires in my tool box so I put those on and lowered the shocks using some small spacers I had in my tool box.

So far I've only got the body trimmed and mounted. Motor is installed, shocks are re-installed and wheels are on. Im waiting for the ESC, hopefully this week and I havent decided what I'm going to do for a radio. Ihave a cheap 2.4 sitting here I may throw in it and I have 2 stock traxxas batteries for it. Not sure if ill keep it or sell it when I'm done. I liked my rally when I had it... and I literally have nearly NO money in this car at all... by the time I'm done ill have less than $60 into it total. So maybe ill just keep it around.

Im considering dying everything black. I have some black aluminum rockers, orange aluminum servo covers and bearings for the rockers and steering I may install as well... but I'm not sure if I want to go that far or not. I also have a Hitec 85MG for it... but can't find a servo horn at the moment.

Heres the pics. Ill post more when I get more done.

RC poster
    Great work! Interested in doing this also with my Slash. Could you list all the parts needed to do this conversion??

Thanks!

Sure.
    If you had NO extra parts laying around you would need the following:

-Front bumper mount (replaces lower skid plate)
    -Front bumper (foam)
    -Front and rear body mounts (they come as a set)
    -Shock limiters (not sure where you get these or if traxxas sells them on their own or not)
    -Wheels/tires
    -Body

Thats it. The rest of the truck is exactly the same. I got all the parts listed above, not including the tires/wheels, for less than $50 shipped brand new. A set of wheels and tires would be around $40 new for stock tires and aftermarket wheels or you could probably find a take off set from a chop shop for like $20-25

RC Qualifier
    nice set up keep at it cant wait for final result.
    press the any key... where is the any key....

RC Racer
    Shock limiters are traxxas part # 7067. It comes with 4 limiters and 4 new pistons

thats good to know. Thanks kelti. I actually just use the brass spacer things that come with a hitec servo. They are shaped like a top hat, I put the narrow end toward the shock piston and the wide flat end down toward the shock shaft. They work great and fit PERFECT. But id rather have the actual traxxas limiters. Ill look that part up.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

RC Racer
    No problem. Alot of people use rubber fuel line too, that way you can "lower" the shocks however much you want. I believe the limiters that come in the kit are 4mm long, but I can't remember for sure.

I found fuel tubing won't work. Its diameter is so large that it blocks the holes in the shock piston. You need something REALLY small to go around the shock shaft.

FINALLY my EZrun 35amp ESC came in. Im going to get that mounted up this afternoon. MAYBE get to the paint as well if I can get some time. The kiddo is sick and really not happy so I can't really be working on my cars when she's awake or the wife gets all squinty eyed... which is not good.

Got a few hours this afternoon to get her all setup. All thats missing now is the paint and the RX... which is coming out of my mini summit thats now for sale.

I installed the following... all stuff I had in my parts box.
    -EZrun 35amp ESC
    -Hitec 5085MG Digital servo
    -Hot Racing Rockers
    -Hot Racing knuckles
    -Bearings in the rockers and steering
    -Integy aluminum battery doors
    -Integy motor heat sink

Overall, I think this is a good setup for now. Its not really anything special but it should be durable and fast enough on 2S... should stay pretty cool.

I just need to get the RX installed and setup the ESC with the program card. Im hoping to have time tonight to do the paint. It will be white and black with gold stripes.

RC Qualifier
    Can this be done with a 2wd slash ??

great job , love how it looks .. what size is the body ?

Not with a full size 2X4 slash... if you had a 1/16 slash that was 2X4 (though non of them are sold that way) you can do it. But a 2X4 slash 1/10 scale is a much larger vehicle. You CAN convert a 2X4 slash into a car... I've done it, using a 1/8 scale GT class body like the protoform PF8... there are posts about it in the 2X4 slash forum.

Been pretty dead in here lately. But I figured id post up my new paint job anyway. Better late than never I guess.
    What do you think?

I tried to get a little artistic with some longer lens stuff... this is as artistic as I get with a camera:

FWIW I LOVE this Protoform Tornado body... the lines are excellent, style is just so clean. Its also very easy to paint because theres not really any overly complicated angles. Just an overall great body to work with and the finished product looks excellent IMO.

RC Racer
    Looks great! I too love that body.

How's the 35amp Esc holding up? I'm in the process of reviving my Rally converted Slash and trying to decide which esc to go with. I was looking at the ******* 60amp or one of the 45amp ********* escs, but if a 35 will hold up I might go with one of those. I know how many issues there are with the stock esc and it's rated at 52amps.

The 35amp EZrun holds up great in a friends stampede with a full 540 size 3500kv motor and big wheels. Given its geared pretty conservative but it appears to be a VERY robust ESC and has a great reputation. I see no reason it wouldn't do an even better job in a rally with the smaller 380 size motor.

BUT... I havent run this car at all yet. I got my LCG slash out for the first time today and the parking lots here are still covered with half an inch of winter road sand... not the place to run a nice shiny rally. Im hoping they'll get out and sweep them in the next week or so. There is one good parking lot I like to run in alot but its currently covered in water... hopefully next week ill get it out for its maiden voyage and get all the bugs worked out. I honestly have no doubt at all that this ESC will hold up great in this car.

RC Qualifier
    That looks Great pave! definatly different than anything else ive seen. It sure has been dead here lately, i'm working on a some drift vids, but free time to edit is @ runnig short!
    Keep up the nice work!
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

I don't mean to hijack... but if you are looking for a members view on the ********* 60:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...8-4370Kv-Motor
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Got my first chance to run the car this afternoon. The ESC/Motor combo works excellent. I ran it on 2S and it stayed cool, mind you it was -4 C outside so who knows what will happen when it gets hot out.

I noticed the ESC seems to have ALOT of drag brake even though I turned it down to level 1... I'm going to turn it completely off and see how that works. I turned the throttle punch WAY down and its extremely smooth now. I like how the throttle feels alot. One thing I found strange with this car is that it seems to break really hard with the front wheels and the rears still spin a bit. I know how these drivetrains are setup so this seems very odd to me. There is no centre diff installed yet the rear tires still spin despite the fronts being locked. The diffs are not stripped or slipping. Something is just strange.

I did just order the Toyz one way centre diff for it and I think I may take out both diffs and fill them with some diff lock fluid. But I'm not sure if thats the hot ticket. Ill keep you updated.

RC Racer
    Hey Pave,
    Just a thought, but did you calibrate the esc to your rx before you ran it? I had a similar branded esc that seemed to have an excessive amount of drag brake and once I re-calibrated it to the rx with the trims zeroed out it was much better.

When i first fired it up I hadent calibrated it... the car would barely move. Then i did calibrate it and it was much better, just a few minor settings to be adjusted i guess.

RC Champion
    Your job on that body is excellent! You're really making me think about converting my mini slash now!

Thanks man, thats nice to hear. Im happy with it also. The slash to rally conversion was quite easy and I just found a chop shop on e-bay selling the bumpers, foam, towers and everything for like $8 plus $3 for shipping. I paid alot more.

Either way, its worth it. The body is only like $20 or so. Worth having both setups IMO.

RC poster
    Could I do the same thing to the 1/16th scale summit?

Yes.
    With a few parts, all 16ths can be converted quite easily.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    I have a summit vxl and a erevo vxl the summit has just sat around and I have been having alot of fun with the merv. I think I will use this awesome thread to convert my summit to a rally. thanks everyone.

My pleasure. The summit and MERV vehicles require more parts to convert. You'll need rally arms and driveshafts... I think thats all the extra you'll need though. Look on the chop shops on e-bay. You can usually find these parts quite cheap.

Just got the centre one way diff in the mail today as well as a hot racing motor mount. But, decided to sell the car instead. Drove my 1/8 onroad the other day and its just too good... no point in owning cars I won't use.

It was fun while it lasted anyway. I think I'm going to copy this paint scheme on my 1/8 though... i love the way it looks.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Sure.
    If you had NO extra parts laying around you would need the following:

-Front bumper mount (replaces lower skid plate)
    -Front bumper (foam)
    -Front and rear body mounts (they come as a set)
    -Shock limiters (not sure where you get these or if traxxas sells them on their own or not)
    -Wheels/tires
    -Body

Thats it. The rest of the truck is exactly the same. I got all the parts listed above, not including the tires/wheels, for less than $50 shipped brand new. A set of wheels and tires would be around $40 new for stock tires and aftermarket wheels or you could probably find a take off set from a chop shop for like $20-25
    Hi, I love the set up, I wish I had been the lucky soul to buy this off you.

im looking to rebuild my mini slash VXL into a rally as well and was wondering if you might be able to confirm the bumper and body mount part numbers for me. are these the parts from the LaTrax 1/18 Rally???

thanks!

Last edited by Squeegie; 08-22-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    thanks Squeegie

RC Enthusiast
    Hey just wanted to thank you again on the Slash > Rally conversion.

I ended up going with the Traxxas Rally body for my first go as this was my first ever attempt at painting a body and I wanted to keep prices as low as possible. I chose Tamiya Metallic blue with Gun Metal Black underneath and Iím thrilled and the color. The default Traxxas decals leave much to be desired but overall Iím quite happy with the way this turned out. The Protoform body is coming next now that I have a better idea of how this all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice mini-Rally!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein