RC Qualifier

Rally or Fiesta?

Ok so, I have been in 1/10 scale for a while but I want to get a 1/16 on-road car. I like the fiesta more than the Rally. (Mainly just the body and Rims). I would want the Fiesta, but it's not brushless and it has a 27mhz controller. I really want an on-road not a drifter. I don't really know, what would be smart in this situation. Is it hard to convert the Rally to the Fiesta? Is it just tires and body? Are the body posts the same? Is everything inside the same, except for the receiver, motor, and ESC? Would it be smarter to upgrade to brushless and 2.4ghz controller? Or would it be smart to just buy the Ford Mustang Boss 302 and just convert the body? Or is there more? Which route would be the cheapest and smartest?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by akapants; 03-12-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    RC Tutorials - YouTube.com/RemoteControlChannel

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It would be cheaper to buy the rally and get a fiesta body for it. Everything else is exactly the same. The body will literally drop straight on. You could also look at the proline focus body or the protoform tornado body. They can be had for like $20. I think a clear fiesta body is like $24. That is way cheaper than buying a brushed fiesta and upgrading to brushless and 2.4.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, thanks. And should I then just buy the stock Traxxas Fiesta tires so its an on-road and not a drift/gymkhana? Or does proline or something like that make good on road tires for the 1/16 cars?
    Last edited by akapants; 03-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    And also, should I go with two NIMH or two 2s lipos? In parallel, are the lipos going to give me the same speed as the NIMH and just more run time or do I have to go series for the same speed as NIMH with the 2s lipos and less run time? What is smart to go with? And if I were to go with lipo what is the biggest Mah that will fit in the slots? Thanks

I suggest going LiPo.
    2S is going to give you about the same speed as NiMh in parallel, only the speed will be more consistent throughout the run due to NiMh's dropping voltage more than LiPo's do.

SPC had a pack that was rated for 2500mah... that is the largest 2S pack.
    I get 1 hour run times (roughly) when running my 2200mah in parallel.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    So if I use parallel with two 2s 2200 Mah lipos, I will hit 50+? Also, I think I would just go with the Traxxas Lipos. I really like them.

RC Qualifier
    Also what spur and pinion to hit those speeds?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    All the rally/fiesta/ken block etc tires are essentially the same compound. They are all super hard. If you want a more "road course" style tire for regular driving and NOT drifting I suggest looking at a set of HPI tires and rims. You want a 0 or +3 offset rim, either will fit just fine. Then get a regular compound tire and mount it up. Any of the traxxas tire/wheel combos will be really hard, more for drift style driving than road course style driving.

Lipos will give you more speed AND more run time. They are superior to NIMHs in every way and the capacities you can get are WAY higher. I agree with Jimmy... go with the new SPC 2500mah 25C 2S packs. You can run them in parallel if you want, or just run one at a time and swap them. Swapping packs is always a good idea as it give you a chance to check the motor/ESC temps, look for any loose screws or parts... its just a good idea to stop every half hour minimum and have a look. Plus the car is lighter with only one pack.

If you want to go 50mph your going to need 3S packs and your GOING to run into heat issues. Its just the nature of high speeds... these 1/16 vehicles are powered by 380 size motors. They are well suited to these size of car on 2S for general running but like any RC vehicle, if you push the speeds higher with more voltage your going to have heat issues and this is VERY true for 1/16 cars like the rally. On the other hand, I can say for certain, if you run this car correctly geared on 2S you'll be impressed with the speed. A car this small FEELS like its going faster than it is and can get out of control VERY fast.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, my only thing with the tires and rims is; I have never glued them before. I don't really know how and it seems super difficult. I just painted my first body 2 weeks ago. That wasn't so difficult though. I am worried that it will be hard to glue them. I have looked up tutorials but it just seems a little difficult. The other thing I need to learn, is how to solder wires. The only thing I have ever soldered was an antenna. I have solder and a soldering gun, but I don't know how to do it. Any suggestions on learning how to solder like connectors to make batteries traxxas or deans? Thanks

Painting a body is harder than gluing tires!!
    If you mess up, you can bake them off and start over.

Soldering is a practice... you have to practice to be good at it. I am... well I have a few years on me and am still learning soldering tricks to this day... and I just finished a radio soldering project that required me to solder on a circuit board!
    Grab some wire and practice soldering to bits of metal... screws, bolts, nuts, washers... you get the idea.
    Be sure to clean the wire and object first... with flux or with sand paper. Then tin each item... then you should not have any issues getting them to stick together. The biggest helper I have bought is something like this:

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I'm gonna have to start practicing. Haha!! Any information on gluing tires?

RC Qualifier
    Also, is this good for flux?

Flux

Looks to be decent flux.

Gluing tips:
    Clean the rim, clean the tire, fit your foam, install tire, lift up the bead a tad and drip a drop of glue and repeat the process in thirds around the rim on each side.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so the flux will work just fine correct? Its really cheap. And also I have RPM rims for my Slash and I wanted to glue them but they don't have wholes in them. Do I have to drill them?

RC Qualifier
    And will the HPI rims already have holes drilled? Also what are some good tires to get? And how do I know which rims and tires to get exactly? Just touring kind?
    Last edited by akapants; 03-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.

1/16th hole is fine... 180 apart.
    Check out this thread for tires:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-I-tape-these
    let me know what you think...

RC Qualifier
    Ok that helps. So then tires would work right?
    I won't race this car.
    Also, should the rims all be the same offset? Also what will the 0 offset vs the +3 offset look like?

Tires

I am trying to find some cool rims and then I will post them on here to see if they will work.

Thanks for all the help guys

RC Qualifier
    And these are the rims that I want. These with those tires will work correct?

Rims

Or will these work? It doesn't say the offset, so I'm not sure.

Other Rims
    Last edited by akapants; 03-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.

As long as they have a 12mm hex I think they will work fine.

RC Qualifier
    Ok and then gluing these tires? Is there a good glue? I have some medium proline glue but I need to buy more glue anyways so I don't know of a good brand to use; especially for these rims and tires. Thanks

RC Competitor
    Any thin CA (cyanoacrylate aka "super glue") should work fine. It needs to be thin to flow around the bead and down into the little crack you create when you pull the tire back a little.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know if it is still available but AKA glue works well for me.... Ask at your LHS...
    MERV, Summit, Slash (4x4), 'Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I think I have the gluing down but how do I know how big the hole has to be when drilling the rims? Or are the HPI rims already drilled?

1/16th hole is fine... 180 apart if they are not drilled already.

I use thin super glue.

RC Qualifier
    1/16th? What does that mean? And I found some of that AKA glue. Its about $10

1/16th is a measurement.... 1 half of a 1/8th inch drill bit... 1/4 of a half inch drill bit...

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so if i wanted to drill holes in my short course wheels for my slash and it needs holes, should I do 1/16 or 1/10?

The size of the hole has nothing to do with the scale of the RC.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so then 1/16 for the short course wheels as well?

RC Qualifier
    Also, for the rally. What are the parts that break most often? Or parts that I should upgrade to RPM right of the bat? Or should I just wait til they break?