RC Qualifier

Battery question for a stock carpet oval setup

Been running a 5000mah 25c LiPo. Wondering if changing to the max allowed battery (5600/50c) would increase my top end speed?

My lap times are .1 off the leaders and can't go no faster.

My battery provides 100 amps and the stock ESC/12T isn't supposed to draw more than that. But since this oval is run at max speed most of the time, any little bit would help.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Are you allowed to change anything else? Diff fluid, tires, bearings, better break-in of a fresh motor; all can add up to just that little bit of speed you're looking for. I'm no expert when it comes to oval, but its the little things that add up. Check out what battery others are running if you can.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    According to Jakey, the higher c rated packs will give you a performance increase. I was asking him if he thought my 30c would equal the performance of my 50c in a 17.5 class as compared to the modified class I am running now. He said it is even more important in the stock classes to get every performance gain possible when the trucks are so equal. I will take his word for it
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    That's why I am asking.

I read that the ESC/motor won't pull any more amps so it won't do me any good. But then you read that the higher C rated batteries do "other things" better like less restriction on the flow of current.

Most guys are running 5600/50c batteries. I have a 5000/25c and a 5800/25c.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If packs are accurately C-rated, the pack with the higher rating will hold a more consistent, higher voltage under load than will the lower rated pack. This is true regardless of whether or not the motor is stressing the pack(s) to the limit of it's potential rating.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ^^^ Thats what I meant lol. After my spc 5400 50c was broken in, it came alive and I started getting comments from other experienced racers that would not take a look at my setup before (even the guys running the same motor esc combo as me, and a lighter truck)like "what is that?" and "how much is that pack?" The guys at my track do not know much about these packs... yet...

true 50c rated packs make a big difference for me compared to my 30c and 25c packs. I can feel it.

RC Qualifier
    Well I bought a Venom 5600/50c today. That's all my hobby shop has. I guess we'll see next Tuesday.

RC Qualifier
    Just getting back to this thread in case someone references it in the future.

Results are mixed. Car was not any faster. But times didn't drop off either. At the end of 40 laps, my lap times were the same as the first.

Try spc... I got better fastest laps when I picked up the 5400 50c. I also felt a stronger punch out of the corners, and most importantly started being at the top of the a-mains. I went from 3rd and 4th to 1st and 2nd.

How many mah did you have to put back into the pack after the race? I am using around 2500 in 5 min in 60-64 laps. Makes me wish spc made a 3000 100c lol...
    Last edited by rag6; 03-29-2012 at 10:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Only about 1600 mah after a 4 min race.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    Just getting back to this thread in case someone references it in the future.

Results are mixed. Car was not any faster. But times didn't drop off either. At the end of 40 laps, my lap times were the same as the first.
    Well, there could be several possibile explanations:

1. The car setup could not take advantage of the extra power.

2. The driver could not take advantage of the additional power.

3. There is no difference in potential power between the battery packs.

4. A combination of the above.

RC Qualifier
    No doubt.

However, we're moving outside to our giant paved oval where we are running the brushless slashes at sustained speeds up to 50MPH.

In just 10 minutes of testing the other night, I took 4800mah out of the 5600 battery. So it WILL come in handy there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice!! That oval sounds like fun.

Tell me that track is within a 2hr drive of Pittsburgh... drool...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Tell me that track is within a 2hr drive of Pittsburgh... drool...
    Hilarious! No, it is in Indy. There are videos of it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqpxYEVjv0

So Pittsburgh eh? What tracks are near Pittsburgh? (indoor and outdoor) We're there several times a year and I'm usually stuck at the inlaws. Me and my boy could go race.
    Last edited by .crispy; 03-31-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Indoor carpet:
    http://www.pt-raceway.com/

Come for some hot carpet oval on Sunday mornings! Off road on Fri nite.

Indoor and outdoor dirt:
    http://www.mcculloughsrcracing.com

There are others, but these are the best within 20 miles of the city.

Pm me if you are coming to town and want to race...