RC poster

Snapping rear driveshafts

Hello,

I just purchased a Stampede 4x4 VXL and it is breaking rear driveshafts like crazy. I have the slipper clutch set to one full turn back, (it still doesn't slip much) and I am running a 14th tooth pinion.

The batteries I am running, are Venom 5000MA 3S 35C Lipos.

I can not get a full run in with the truck, as it snaps a driveshaft a couple minutes in to the run usually.

I spoke to Traxxas tech support, and they told me not to run 3S with the truck. I'm not driving it hard, and I don't have the 17 tooth pinion on the truck.

Is this normal? I have the rear upgrade drivesshafts on order, but last night I also snapped a front drive shaft.

I was thinking that, if I went to higher toothed pinion, it would reduce the amount of torque the truck is getting and, as long as I dont let the truck reach top end, it might be OK.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Just install the upgraded half-shafts and run 3s all you want. I snapped mine the first week. After I put the MIP X-Duty units in, I stab the throttle from a dig all the time because I enjoy doing wheelies.

RC Racer
    also have your suspension set low so there isn't a huge slant putting more stress on the yolks

RC poster
    So, I take it, that it is common for these cars to snap driveshafts when running 3S.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 7upstang View Post
    So, I take it, that it is common for these cars to snap driveshafts when running 3S.
    Yes, very common.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Racer
    And 14t is way overheated for stock motor/esc on 3s. Should be 9-11t.

RC poster
    But, I thought running 14T would put less initial stress on the driveshafts, as there is less torque with the higher pinion gear

Brushless doesn't work the same way brushed does. You are still getting the same amount of torque.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

With a bigger pinion, the torque at the drive shaft will be lower, regardless what motor you use.

I diasgree with the fact that breaking drive shafts with 3S is common. I only broke an axle with cold weather once but so far never a drive shaft. MMP/2400 with 17/54. Torque of the VXL set will never come close to the power that combo is supplying.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I have driven my pede for 3 weeks now on a 3S 60C good LiPo and I have not broken any shafts. The slipper clutch is set as the factory put it and it slips sometimes but not so much that it doesn't raise the front up. Cannot under stand how some people break them so often.. I have a pair of MIP shafts ready when/if they snap.
    I think Cheyenne91 has a good point
    also have your suspension set low so there isn't a huge slant putting more stress on the yolks

RC Enthusiast
    I went for a long time without breaking shafts/yokes, then all of a sudden they started breaking on every run. I now have MIP X Dutys.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Notyap View Post
    I went for a long time without breaking shafts/yokes, then all of a sudden they started breaking on every run. I now have MIP X Dutys.
    Funny thing is that the same happened to me today. I only broke the axle part with cold weather, but today my buddy and me broke 4 axles in about an hour.
    I looked around a while and found 3 brands that I might choose from: MIP, GPM and FLM. I dont want the Tekno because I dont want to change carriers. GPM makes them for the front end, but I didnt find the rear ones (those are obviously the most important). FLM ones look strong, but they specify that they can be used for front and rear, which I think is weird, because I think they should be different. MIP uses different numbers for the Pede and Slash which also seems weird.

Maybe I just put the MIP ones on the rear end... still in doubt.

I bought my truck used a couple weeks ago and it had MIP in the back already. With 3s I have broken the front axles 3 times. I have one more traxxas part left to use if thats where it breaks next and have MIP front axles assembled ready to go in the truck.

Sometimes you have to be a little hard headed. I found the GPM rear ones and ordered those. At a Dutch LHS where I didnt really expected them. Only $40, shipping included. And only one day waiting till I get them. When I tried them, I will post feedback.

Got the GPM shafts in the mail today. They look quite good and give a strong impression.

RC poster
    Peter, they look neat - do you have a link to the supplier - maybe worthwhile bookmarking for future reference

Quote Originally Posted by mini101cd View Post
    Peter, they look neat - do you have a link to the supplier - maybe worthwhile bookmarking for future reference
    I was surprised that I only found them on a Dutch online shop. Not sure how good your Dutch is...http://www.toemen.nl/rc-traxxas-gpm-...22669099efa011

RC poster
    Thanks for the link - it seems like a great site - my Dutch is rubbish - but I'll find a way to buy something LOL.

Cheers - Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mini101cd View Post
    Thanks for the link - it seems like a great site - my Dutch is rubbish - but I'll find a way to buy something LOL.

Cheers - Mark
    Just PM me if you need help. My Dutch is much better than my English

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 7upstang View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased a Stampede 4x4 VXL and it is breaking rear driveshafts like crazy. I have the slipper clutch set to one full turn back, (it still doesn't slip much) and I am running a 14th tooth pinion.

The batteries I am running, are Venom 5000MA 3S 35C Lipos.

I can not get a full run in with the truck, as it snaps a driveshaft a couple minutes in to the run usually.

I spoke to Traxxas tech support, and they told me not to run 3S with the truck. I'm not driving it hard, and I don't have the 17 tooth pinion on the truck.

Is this normal? I have the rear upgrade drivesshafts on order, but last night I also snapped a front drive shaft.

I was thinking that, if I went to higher toothed pinion, it would reduce the amount of torque the truck is getting and, as long as I dont let the truck reach top end, it might be OK.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Also if you are going off jumps, make sure you are not on the brake or throttle when you land because your momentum when you land can put added pressure on the shafts. You basically want it in neutral when landing.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for link but I don't know this Dutch stuff which ones are the rear and which ones are the fronts Lol

Quote Originally Posted by gsxstreetracer View Post
    Thanks for link but I don't know this Dutch stuff which ones are the rear and which ones are the fronts Lol
    I would not get the GPM ones (see: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-shaft-review). If you still want to, the 6852X are the rear ones and 6851X the front, just like the original part numbers ("achter" = rear and "voor" = front).

RC Qualifier
    Mine was about 2 weeks old when I broke the yoke that comes out of the differential and attaches to the rear axle. Of course I was having fun doing a lot of extended wheelies. Went down the local hobby shop and bought 2 yokes for $2.50 and was soon back in business. If I keep breaking them, I'll probably look into the steel axle shaft assemblies. I'm just running a series 4 NiMh and the stock pinion. It goes dancing down the road hopping on the wheelie bar wheels. Power is insane! Most of my time is spent bashing on grass and gravel though. My Doberman loves to chase it, so I got this model because it can go over 30 mph (his top end) and accelerate faster on gravel with the 4WD. He tore up the RS Dodge Raminator I had that could only go 19 mph and didn't have much acceleration! The Stampede VXL Brushless 4X4 is a good match for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Mine was about 2 weeks old when I broke the yoke that comes out of the differential and attaches to the rear axle. Of course I was having fun doing a lot of extended wheelies. Went down the local hobby shop and bought 2 yokes for $2.50 and was soon back in business. If I keep breaking them, I'll probably look into the steel axle shaft assemblies. I'm just running a series 4 NiMh and the stock pinion. It goes dancing down the road hopping on the wheelie bar wheels. Power is insane! Most of my time is spent bashing on grass and gravel though. My Doberman loves to chase it, so I got this model because it can go over 30 mph (his top end) and accelerate faster on gravel with the 4WD. He tore up the RS Dodge Raminator I had that could only go 19 mph and didn't have much acceleration! The Stampede VXL Brushless 4X4 is a good match for him though.
    Put a nice Lipo in it and the speed will make the Doberman feel like a Yorkshire terrier

RC poster
    Ha that is a fact! He won't keep up with the Lipo. I have broken 2 in the first couple weeks since I got the Stampede VXL 4X4 on a 3s Lipo. I dont believe those rear axles were made for this much power.

RC Racer
    I recomend the traxxas high velocity axles,i run the sidewinder 8th 2200 on 4s 20/50 in mine and the only axle problem i had was from a 40mph cartwheel on asphalt it broke off just below threads for the wheel nut and it only costed me $8.00 to fix,you can't beat that.
    Last edited by badfrog219; 03-05-2015 at 12:30 AM.
    Hey kid that's not a toy!!

RC Qualifier
    Mips are the way to go. I ended up breaking one (4s with sw8) and I e-mailed their support and they sent me the new piece I needed without any problem.
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC poster
    That's good to know about MIP. I've got them on the rear after breaking the stock ones and was wondering how the support would be.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler13 View Post
    Mips are the way to go. I ended up breaking one (4s with sw8) and I e-mailed their support and they sent me the new piece I needed without any problem.
    How did you manage that? I didn't even do that to mine on 6s with the MMM/2200 in mine. I did destroy some wheels and tires that day though.
    ERBE, Summit, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 GD 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I was a wee bit trigger heavy on the slick road and hit a mom slick part and got instant traction.. But yeah I didn't think breaking a MIP was possible till I did lol
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

Quote Originally Posted by tyler13 View Post
    Wow! You sure don't see that often. I have run Mip X-Duty axles for many years and haven't been able to accomplish such a feat. Mip does have top notch customer service and stand behind their products
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I am with el sob on this mine are the older pinned type and are 4 years old and I have beat on them like they owe me money and the only thing that has broken is one coupling pin.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Only running on indoor very slick basement concrete, I've broken 2 rears and 1 front - the front was running 7 cell NIMH and the 2 rears were on 3S lipo. All of mine were the cups or I guess output yokes except the front which was actually the front axle cup.

I bit the bullet and invested in a set of X-duty MIPs all around and my last session was awesome. Not one broken part and I was doing indoor "thunder drag" style races with my son. Flew all the way across the room almost hitting the wall and no broken parts.

Strictly stock there's no way my truck would've handled 3S without a lot of breakage. One of the breaks happened when one tire spun extremely fast while cutting a donut.

I was afraid with the weight of the MIPs that the acceleration would suffer some but I didn't notice any difference.

Highly recommended.