RC poster

Upgrading to xl-5esc - where does it go? Stampede

I am replacing an xl-1 esc and motor on an older traxxas stampede with xl-5 and Titan motor. Problem is
    the new esc is smaller than the old xl-1. Can someone give me advice on how to get the new esc to fit and
    where to locate it?

RC Racer
    youll probably have to get you a new esc mount. rpm makes them but i like my traxxas one just fine.

derrick
    http://www.hobzob.com/garage/rc/derrick_gillespie

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use Velcro to hold down my esc in my pede and rustler. I found some stuff by 3m that holds 2 pounds per inch or Velcro and you can get about 2 inches of it on the esc so about 4 pounds it'll hold. It'll take a lot of g's to pull that esc off, highly doubt an xl-5 will be able to do it. I bash hard and have never had it come apart, I'm talkin 20 foot landing/crashes on to concrete at the ol skate park and nothin... besides broken parts haha.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC poster
    something else I forgot. The XL-1 esc has an extra set of blue/white wires that go to an on/off switch on the side of the stampede. The XL-5 esc doesn't have these wires for the on/off switch. So I am not sure how to turn on the new XL-5 esc?
    Can someone clue me in here?

Quote Originally Posted by d_gillespie View Post
    youll probably have to get you a new esc mount. rpm makes them but i like my traxxas one just fine.

derrick
    As D said. U need a new mount. There are two options for u. One is able to hold the waterproof reciever box, one doesnt. If u have a small reciever, or now is a good time to upgrade. Ul need this one. If not, ul need the smaller mount.

There are two small ones out there. Its the one on the right, with the slits on the side.

Btw... I used to own a mechanical ESC unit. btw.. Still do lol, But man... These are awesome compared to the mechanical ESCs. Its night and day. Those mechanical speed controls are dinosaurs.

There are Diagrams on Traxxas Support, for the Pede that will help ya with where goes what.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trainrec View Post
    something else I forgot. The XL-1 esc has an extra set of blue/white wires that go to an on/off switch on the side of the stampede. The XL-5 esc doesn't have these wires for the on/off switch. So I am not sure how to turn on the new XL-5 esc?
    Can someone clue me in here?
    The xl5 has a push button on the esc top corner for on and off vrs. old style has a manual switch.