Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Question Slash4x4 or RustlerVXL

Hi guys I have been debating between the Slash4x4 and the RustlerVXL.
    I cant decide between the two and would appreciate some advice on which is the better vehicle for me.

The things I want to do with whichever one I decide to get would be:
    Jumping
    Some bashing.(But not alot)
    and of course SPEED!

The main terrain i'll be on is pavement...Road parking lots etc..
    I will do a little off road but not very much.

Also it would be realy helpful to get some peoples view of how they each handle. Does the Rustler spin out easy because its 2 wheel drive? Which has the tighter turning radius? And also just overal handling.
    Another thing is the durability of each vehicle. Some insight there would be awesome. And lastly is there a big speed difference between the 2 of them? And yes I'll be running lipo. Thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    they are both very durable and fast. the rusty doesnt spin out unless you make it and imo the rusty is better on road
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

Here is my Slash 4x4! She is a rocket! My choice is the Slash 4x4!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2718564...in/photostream
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Ok thanks for that bit of info on the rusty.
    I just realised I forgot to put another question in there.
    I hear theres problems especialy when using lipo of the rusty wheeling on you even with a wheelie bar, is there to stop this? Adding some sort of heavier front ent peice or something? Is this a big problem? And is there a decent way to fix it?

RC poster
    Ok thanks El sob. but could you mabee tell me why your choice is the slash/ Because you sad its a rocket but I dont want to have to do any kind of big upgrades.

Right out of the box at least lol.=)

RC Racer
    i would go with the slash, they can both relatively run the same in what you mentioned, but if you ever wanted to start racing or make your on track the slash would be better

RC Competitor
    Can't advise on what is best but I purchased a Rustler VXL a few months back and I love this thing!!!
    Speed? Oh yes but expensive with Lipo upgrades etc.
    I love the offload stuff more and this thing draws crowds!
    Whichever you choose good luck and have fun!
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Ok thanks you mentioned it was expensive with lipo upgrades what exactly did you upgrade?

RC poster
    Thanks im not lookin to race I mostly drive alone or with my little bro lol, hes 9 and gettin to be a pretty good driver. I let hi use my team asociated RC18 B buggy. For a thing as small as it is with a traxxas battery (moddified end) and a hop up motor the thing is a mini rocket lol.

RC poster
    Any info/answers to my questions are greatly aprreciated an since im considering both vehicles, theres no wrong answer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Slash is a 4x4 so it has more control when steering, and breaking, rustler is lighter, it's cheap, and easy to fix, also less expensive than slash. I like both, but I prefer 4x4.

This is my personal preference
    Rustler= speed, street car
    Slash 4x4=off-road truck
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 03-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Slash is a 4x4 so it has more control when steering, and breaking, rustler is lighter, it's cheap, and easy to fix, also less expensive than slash. I like both, but I prefer 4x4.
    thanks for your input I have to agree that 4x4 is nice i got in on my buggy, but since im amost always on road do you think the Rusty might be the better optios here?

RC poster
    Any information and answers is great and theres definetly no wrong answers cause im considering both so all answers are apreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RC18 B buggy View Post
    Ok thanks El sob. but could you mabee tell me why your choice is the slash/ Because you sad its a rocket but I dont want to have to do any kind of big upgrades.

Right out of the box at least lol.=)
    I like the 4x4 because of its simplicity. It is a great design. Doing maintenance and repairs are very easy do to the three piece design. There are a ton of aftermarket support options for the truck also. The Slash can be turned into a monster truck, buggy and a street car! It does everyone of its different looks very well. It is the most versatile of the two and can be custom tailored to fit whatever niche you want it to be. That is the reason I believe the Slash 4x4 is the truck for you!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    I had a rustler vxl, and I have a slash 4x4. U r gonna drop money in either one to go super fast. The rustler is prob faster out of the box, but the slash is more versatile. I have a mamba monster 2650 combo running on 3s and it's a beast

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DustinBajaSS; 03-27-2012 at 05:44 PM.

RC poster
    Ok thanks el sob, so ure yin the money you spent was on looks not performance then, thats good to know. Also doese the slash have a wide turning radius? or can it turn around in a maller area? and also if its just stock and on lipo with right gearings is it a decent speed or ill i get bored of the speed nd need to upgrade the motor soon after?

RC Enthusiast
    Just wondering if u asked the same question in the rustler thread. Every one is here because we love our slashes!

RC poster
    [QUOTE=DustinBajaSS;5114370]I had a rustler vxl, and I have a slash 4x4. U r gonna drop money in either one to go super fast. The rustler is prob faster out of the box, but the slash is more versatile. I have a mamba monster 2650 combo running on 3s and it's a beast

So true lol, if I was to get a decent lipo charger 2 good lipos and the gearing required for lipos what wouuld i be looking t in terms of price there?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ebig View Post
    Just wondering if u asked the same question in the rustler thread. Every one is here because we love our slashes!
    Ya i did in both lol but got 1 reply so i posted it here. seing as my question is about both of the 2 vehicles and deciding between them i didn't think it would be a problem.
    sorry if it is mate.

RC18 B buggy venom fireball motor

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with the slash 4x4 beign a more versatile plataform I love my slash 4x4 MT, but I have a lot of $$ invested on it. Out of the box the rustler is faster. If you want the slash 4x4 to shine you need to upgrade the motor-esc.

RC poster
    I agree with the slash 4x4 beign a more versatile plataform I love my slash 4x4 MT, but I have a lot of $$ invested on it. Out of the box the rustler is faster. If you want the slash 4x4 to shine you need to upgrade the motor-esc.
    That is helpful actully thats really helpful do you have any suggestions for keeping the nose down on the rusty i hear its a problem, even with a wheelie bar.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is helpful actully thats really helpful do you have any suggestions for keeping the nose down on the rusty i hear its a problem, even with a wheelie bar.
    You can add some weights to the front, the ones used on vehicles to do the tire balancing, or you can improvise something, also throttle control wil help with the wheelies, I love the rustler just for the wheelies LOL !!!!

RC poster
    No doubt LOL, out of the box and with lipo and gear change what speeds does the slash get?

RC poster
    I could realy use alot of answers on this any ansers are good.

RC Enthusiast
    Ya i did in both lol but got 1 reply so i posted it here. seing as my question is about both of the 2 vehicles and deciding between them i didn't think it would be a problem.
    sorry if it is mate.

RC18 B buggy venom fireball motor
    No problem, just wondering? Btw, I have a slash, and I think getting a rustler would make for a perfect combo

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ebig View Post
    No problem, just wondering? Btw, I have a slash, and I think getting a rustler would make for a perfect combo
    How do you like ure slash 4x4 i cant decide between that or the rusty vxl.
    It would be easier if traxxas only made one of the to lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No doubt LOL, out of the box and with lipo and gear change what speeds does the slash get?
    According to traxxas gearing chart, the slash will do 60mph, and the rustler 70mph, that's is on a 3s lipo geared at max. IMO the velineon won't last on the slash if you do that.

RC poster
    According to traxxas gearing chart, the slash will do 60mph, and the rustler 70mph, that's is on a 3s lipo geared at max. IMO the velineon won't last on the slash if you do that.
    why wont it last? If i was to do 65 would that be ok on the veleion motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    why wont it last?
    it will burn LOL !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you as this on the rustler forum eveyone will say get a rustler, the same when you ask on the slash forum.

RC poster
    Is there a way so that it doesnt? seems stupid for them to say it will do this and then when you do it you fry ure brand new motor LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is there a way so that it doesnt? seems stupid for them to say it will do this and then when you do it you fry ure brand new motor LOL
    yeah run a 2s lipo, gear it properly to the drive terrain, and watch your temps (temp gun). If you plan to run nimh you are safe..lol

RC Racer
    I am a rustler owner so obviously biased.
    Anyway, this truck is awesome! I've had mine for about 8months, run lipos on and off road. On road it does really well, offroad it does decent being its only 2wd. But since you are mainly on road I would go with the rustler because it is lighter, faster out of the box and simple to fix. I'm almost sure that the ruslter sits lower as well and that helps with speed.Also upgrades are endless for this thing.

RC Qualifier
    The rustler is awesome and the speed is excellent! I have only been running mine since last weekend, but it handles the gravel and Tarmac amazingly. Yes it spins out a bit but only when i put it into a corner too fast, so it's as much my fault as it is the rustlers!!

You can easily get rid of the wheelies, mine running the VXL kit and a 2s lipo barely wheelies, a looser slipper clutch and lighter rear suspension helps cut it down. Weight on the front can work but has as probably got more handling issues than tuning the shocks or loosening the slipper clutch.

My preference is in the rustler, I come from the pede and that is my favourite so maybe I can be a little less bias, but I have not driven a slash. To me it's a looks thing, the slash just looks ugly to me whereas the rustler looks sweet!
    VXL P2de, rusty MMP Orion vortex, mid '90's P2de

RC Racer
    If u don't mind used look for a roller and put your own motor esc combo in and not worry about burning it up on 3s

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Thanks im not lookin to race I mostly drive alone or with my little bro lol, hes 9 and gettin to be a pretty good driver. I let hi use my team asociated RC18 B buggy. For a thing as small as it is with a traxxas battery (moddified end) and a hop up motor the thing is a mini rocket lol.
    thats what i said too at first when i got the slash 4x4. running up and down my driveway got really boring so i built my own track. Also the slash 4x4 is really popular so everywhere you go they'll have parts and there are upgrades beyond belief.

RC Qualifier
    Rustler has the tighter turn radius.

RC Champion
    Pros of a Rustler:
    FAST!
    Easy to work on
    Cheaper

Pros of a Slash 4x4:
    Better traction in low traction scenarios
    Bigger (its a pro for me)
    Easier to drive
    MUCH stronger (IMO at least. 1:15 is my current ratio of broken parts on the slash to the rustler)

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Slash beats Rustler on rough surfaces every time. On smooth surfaces, it's no contest; Rustler wins. Rustler is more on the edge. Be prepared to fix stuff often. Slash is pretty tame.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Competitor
    You mentioned you want speed in your RC so that will mean Lipo = not the cheapest of batteries to purchase and a lipo charger which ate also not the cheapest.
    I went lipo recently and will never go back!!

My charger cost 45
    3S 6400 mAh 40-80c - 40 (quality battery!!)
    2s 10000 mAh 40-80 - 40 (was running for 1hr 20 today!)

I'm SO impressed with these batteries and VERY cheap compared to others!!!
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I'm with rc fan both are good platforms, but the rustler is allot cheaper, easier to fix, and loads of run , and money you save, you can invest it in the rustler for upgrades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast