Thread: First truck

RC Racer

First truck

Hi I'm 15 and been working on Saturdays to save up for a car. At first I was looking for a 90s z28 camaro but the insurance is crazy. I'll be 16 in October so I have time to do stuff to it. After talking to my uncle I've decited to buy it s10. Tell me what you guys think about this- 2000 s10 auto 4.3 v6, ls trim regular cab 4x4. It's in great shape. He said I could have it for $3000 and it's got 104000mi

well im big into s-10's and sonoma's. thats my thing. and from what i can tell you by the sounds of it, i would buy it. the transmission in it is prone to losing 3rd and 4th gear clutchpacks (if automatic) but a basic rebuild and your good to go. and thats only if they were used hard as well. as for the engines those ones are great, prone to intake and maybe head gaskets. but if you buy and put good ones on the truck then your good to go. other than those little problems there amazing trucks.

my avatar is a 2000 gmc sonoma stepside 2wd with the 2.2L 4 cylinder laying on the rockers
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    yeah there good trucks as long as you keep up the maintainance. the transmission 4l60E isn't the strongest in the world and yes the 3-4 clutch is prone to getting wasted. the 4.3l is a good engine, the intakes are prone to leaking and they are a spin off of the small block chevy so the motor will probably outlast the body/frame. the ball joints don't last very long, oil cooler lines leak, and the heater cores do get clogged. its a 4x4 with push button and the encoder motor-mounted on the transfercase and moves the shift fork from 2wd to 4x4 and control module could be problematic. whatever car you get, take it to a trusted mechanic for him to check out-before you buy. it may cost 50-100 for a checkout but its cheaper than a $2500 supprise. one more note i drive a 89 chevy silverado as my daily rig, i swear it's going to be the death of me but i love that truck.
    impeach obama!

I always liked the S-10. I had a couple of them over the years and they were good trucks. The most recent one I had was an 87 with a 355 small block. Now, that was a fun truck!

RC Qualifier
    I had a s10 zr2 01, had 87000 when I traded it in. And that was due to the fact of having kids, and the jump seat was not going to fly lol. But it gave me no problems.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Qualifier
    im trying to save for either a 78 trans-am or 94 camaro for my first car and when im done with it in several years im going for 8 seconds on a drag strip
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Racer
    Nice man how old are you. In only 6 month away from being 16. I was wanting a 90s camaro z28 and the insurance was waaaaay to much. It was like $235 a month

insurance is high just because men are more "high risk" then women anyway. yes women are proven to get into more fender benders and what not, but men are more prone to big accidents involving injury and death. so anything that is considered a sports car or anything close to a sports car will cost out the you know what for insurance. until your 25, once your 18 its a little better, as well as 21.

any fyi from personal experience you will get cheaper insurance for good grades in school and whatnot. also the more safety items your car of choice has the cheaper it will be.

so small engines
    abs brakes
    airbags
    side curtain airbags and whatnot
    good safety ratings.

those things all help out alot.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    actually im about to be 14 and me and my dad are already planning upgrades and such for whatever car i get. we are both ready for me to be 16 but me more than him
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids