RC Racer

100 mph rusty ..... Theres a lot ?

Can it really be that so many have crossed 100 mph mark ? In my opinion, it is still Sunny who has the fastest rustler

Sunny's results impressed me more than most becaue he did what he did with a lot less power using smaller motors and if memory serves me only 5s lipo. He did his speed runs before the 1/8 th scale brushless systems were available. Now days people are sticking a lot more powerful systems in the Rusty than Sunny had available to him. I cant agree that Sunny still has the or had the fastest Rustler but his results were very impressive given the equipment he had to work with. I believe he was the first to come up iwth the ultra fast Rustlers or actually in his case it was a Bandit.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I'm still skeptical about he vast majority of 100mph claims. There was a time when proof was something to be proud of. Now it's something to be argued about. IMO, if you have the drive and ability to build a 100mph rustler, you should also have the drive and ability to shoot proper video proof of it. Otherwise, your the only one who truly believes it happened.

Throwing a huge amount of power in the rear and the same huge amount of weight in the front is not such a big deal to me. There a few guys that made speed running something special (with Mister Pede above here amongst them) and shared a lot of interesting and useful information in this place. That is what tickled me to start with it (I dont belong in the list!).

I am sure quite a few guys did it, but also that there is a lot of fake.
    Nobody is born with experience

I think more people set out to hit 100 mph and fall short of it than actually make it to their goal. Sunny was pretty good at solving the areo issues that come up and seemed to be limited by the power systems. Now days the power is not the issue it is keeping the car on the ground that causes issues.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    In most cases, it is edited versions which radarguns and GPS's disappears out of the picture all the time and it is not approved proof to me ..........

I have even been driven 81 mph for a long time ago with Mamba monster and 5S but without weight in the front and it seems to me a little odd that so many goes that fast with a rustler ?

RC Qualifier
    I was stoked when I went beyond 100Km/h. I doubt I'll ever make 100mph but if I ever do it will simply be for bragging rights between my mate and myself.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

The thing that gets me about "bragging rights" is that so often they go from personal to public. There is NOTHING wrong with accomplishing something for yourself... but if you want to take it public you have to be ready to accept that the public will want proof. IMO, either do it for you without video and dont advertise it, or get the proof and tell us about it. If you tell us abotu it with no proof, we wont believe it... especially those of us who have spent alot of time and money trying, only to come up short.

To the OP, it ISNT as easy as some make it seem. What dad said is so true. Someone like Sunny who really took the time to problem solve each issue that arose and was dedicated enough to see it to the end only proves that its NOT simply a big motor and a heavy throttle finger. Im no idiot, I did 70mph with a stock stampede... but I coudl NOT get my rustler over 100mph for anything... the power was there but the aero was not. Anyone who says they did it with a big motor, big batteries and nothing else is, IMO, telling a VERY suspicious story.

RC Racer
    Just add a some weight in the front and you will hit the 100 mph mark ..........

loooooooool

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The thing that gets me about "bragging rights" is that so often they go from personal to public. There is NOTHING wrong with accomplishing something for yourself... but if you want to take it public you have to be ready to accept that the public will want proof. IMO, either do it for you without video and dont advertise it, or get the proof and tell us about it. If you tell us abotu it with no proof, we wont believe it... especially those of us who have spent alot of time and money trying, only to come up short.

To the OP, it ISNT as easy as some make it seem. What dad said is so true. Someone like Sunny who really took the time to problem solve each issue that arose and was dedicated enough to see it to the end only proves that its NOT simply a big motor and a heavy throttle finger. Im no idiot, I did 70mph with a stock stampede... but I coudl NOT get my rustler over 100mph for anything... the power was there but the aero was not. Anyone who says they did it with a big motor, big batteries and nothing else is, IMO, telling a VERY suspicious story.
    I see what your saying, but who really cares what others think? If you know you did it, that's all that matters (abviously thats your point that you pointed out, keep it personal if your doing it for yourself). Personally, this is just me of course, I would still post a video if I hit 100mph, I wouldn't post a 20minutes video of me trying to prove it to people (the most I would do is run up and down the street, pull up to me and show the GPS, end of vid, don't know if that enough and I haven't read or looked at the "standards" for vid proof) , I wouldn't have reason to lie (I guess some do though abviously as there is tons of videos out there that say 100mph and it looks like they are going 50mph at best, which is abviously why there is a lot of questions arising when people posts their vids, which is fine, it's their right to I guess, maybe it makes them feel good getting all that attention). Would I expect people to believe me, NO, but I would get a kick out of all the people getting flustered over it. But hey, we don't have to worry about that now, as I will never hit 100mph lol, maybe if I got an XO-1 and who even knows if I could hit it then either. Either way kudos to people who have hit 100mph and got everyones approval. Abviously not an easy task.

Man nice weather out today, time to head out and do some standing backflips with the P2de LOL
    Last edited by Stephan81; 04-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Racer
    Who has really the fastest rustler ? In other words, how it has been well documented and where it looks and sounds as it should

Quote Originally Posted by passatb5 View Post
    Who has really the fastest rustler ? In other words, how it has been well documented and where it looks and sounds as it should
    You should start to define what you mean by a Rustler first. A stock one with only out of the box parts?

RC Qualifier
    I'll never hit 100 miles an hour so you don't ever need to worry about me posting about it.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    Newport Or. Over looking the beautiful bay
    Does anyone know what the MMP SCT 3800kv 3s combo has been pushed to in a street Rustler.
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s
    Rustler VXL x 2 MMP SCT 3800

RC Racer
    Okay, so I assume that it is still Sunny who is the holder of the fastest rustler

Quote Originally Posted by passatb5 View Post
    Okay, so I assume that it is still Sunny who is the holder of the fastest rustler
    No I dont think that can still be said. There are some people who have topped the 100 mph mark, Sunny never broke the 100 mph barrier.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Draven stil holds the record imo, he did multiple passes 100mph+, with gps and radar. I have my doubts about the 115 mph run he did, because the car flipped while doing a speedrun, so the gps could make a mistake while flipping.

I'm als trying to make a 100mph rustler, why?? because it's fun! i dont have to proof anything, ill do it my way, and that is what most people do with their project, for me it's not important who holds the record, for me it's more important to not break anything lol.

some put weight on the front, i play with aerodynamics, so a bandit body wil work better etc etc etc.

when i'm done ill challence a xo-1 to see the difference hehehehehe :-)

RC Racer
    If Draven from YOUTUBE has the fastest rustler (documented) can I also prove a 200 mph run ....... Come on guys, I talk about documented and you can both see and hear the car not running fast ? ..

I am doing speed runs with a 3800 in my Bandit. Just for fun, not to prove anything. I like it when it flies by with the angry sound it makes at high RPM with the 32P gears. When I have time and dont forget my camera every time, I might post a video.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I am doing speed runs with a 3800 in my Bandit. Just for fun, not to prove anything. I like it when it flies by with the angry sound it makes at high RPM with the 32P gears. When I have time and dont forget my camera every time, I might post a video.
    Nice! Any idea how fast you might be going? I'm thinking about doing the same thing here soon.
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s

RC Racer
    i have not seen faster then draven3907 at 114 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFC9NHbNXU

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustler_vxl_3396 View Post
    i have not seen faster then draven3907 at 114 mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFC9NHbNXU
    Wow impressed that's awesome

He has posted some of the most controversial videos around... he's also made some effort to prove his claims. The problem is the physics behind what he's claiming simply doesnt add up to what countless, well respected members have experienced themselves. Nuff said about that from me.

I have run an MMP/3800 combo on 6S in a rustler. It did 74mph and could do ONE pass and the motor was HOT. Not overheated but HOT. It also would not get moving under its own power. It cogged so bad it had to be push started. Still... its possible.

I ran a 2400 on 6S also... same results. I got it to about 76mph but it ran out of torque and had to be push started. Then I went to the MMM/2650 and it went 86mph before I simply had to give up... it wouldn't stay on the ground no matter what I did. Best pass for me was 86mph and I didn't ever bother to film as my goal was 100mph. I figured Id film once I started getting into the 90's, but that never happened and I ran out of interest (as in, I got frustrated and it wasn't fun anymore).

RC Champion
    Just a thought/question. Has anyone ever stretched a rustler? Like chopped the chassis and made it another 4 or 5 inches longer? I'm nowhere close to 100 with my VXL-3s and 3500, but I like the idea of a stretched speed run Rustler.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by smplgy65 View Post
    Nice! Any idea how fast you might be going? I'm thinking about doing the same thing here soon.
    I logged some sessions with an RPM counter. According to that it should have done 85, but that would be true if the slipper doesnt slip at all. I have a GPS module now for better readings, but I still have to do a session where everything is prepared well. The only session I did with the GPS module it said well over 90, but I simply dont believe that because it didnt show like that. I refuse to buy a speed gun just to prove things.

What I know for sure is that a Bandit body works tons better than a Rustler one. I never suffered from any stability problems.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I logged some sessions with an RPM counter. According to that it should have done 85, but that would be true if the slipper doesnt slip at all. I have a GPS module now for better readings, but I still have to do a session where everything is prepared well. The only session I did with the GPS module it said well over 90, but I simply dont believe that because it didnt show like that. I refuse to buy a speed gun just to prove things.

What I know for sure is that a Bandit body works tons better than a Rustler one. I never suffered from any stability problems.
    Thats awesome man! Great job. Question, are you running 3s with that MMP 3800kv set up or? I know it says the motor is only rated at 3s. By the sounds of it you can run it ONCE on 6s?
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s

Quote Originally Posted by smplgy65 View Post
    Thats awesome man! Great job. Question, are you running 3s with that MMP 3800kv set up or? I know it says the motor is only rated at 3s. By the sounds of it you can run it ONCE on 6s?
    I used 3S. I wont go further that 3S with that motor.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, thank you for the reply Peter and once again good work.
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s