Thread: New Project...

RC Racer

Question New Project...

Hello all,

Just got a 2.5 4-tec roller... Starting to build it currently waiting on a boat load of parts to get in. Pics will come I promise!!!

I have a few questions...

Like I stated before it is a 2.5 model 4-tec, I plan on putting my freshly rebuilt 3.3 in, what are some recommended parts I need to change?

I have heard different things about the sway bars, like just run the front or the rear.... what's the best set up you all have used?

Is locking the front and rear diffs good only for speed runs or for track use as well?

That's about all I have for now... will be posting pics tonight! Thanks guys!
    -JuRRd

RC Champion
    You will want to change the gears (first and second) on the trans as well as the belts and pulleys for the 3.3 gearing. They are a bit taller as the engine has more power than the 2.5.. I run front and rear sway bars on mine, it helps in the turns, but the car is so over powered that its easy to spin out anyway/ I never locked the front or rear diffs, don't see the need. the car will track pretty straight while accelerating as long as your setup is good.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    You will want to change the gears (first and second) on the trans as well as the belts and pulleys for the 3.3 gearing. They are a bit taller as the engine has more power than the 2.5.. I run front and rear sway bars on mine, it helps in the turns, but the car is so over powered that its easy to spin out anyway/ I never locked the front or rear diffs, don't see the need. the car will track pretty straight while accelerating as long as your setup is good.
    Do you happen to know the parts numbers, I have looked for the 3.3 parts and they aren't distinguished in the item descriptions whether they are for the 2.5 or 3.3
    -JuRRd

RC Racer
    So here are the pics, right now still in roller form... had the engine mocked up tonight, went to tighten the engine screws and SNAP!!! I guess the stock mount wasn't made to fit the 3.3... I've got a new one ordered and should be here this week with the rest of my parts shipment(s). No one has any input on the questions I asked? Enjoy the pics!

-JuRRd

RC Racer
    Oh and the broken engine mount...

-JuRRd

wow, never thought that mount would break, its the same mount your gonna order as that one. its made for the pro.15,2.5,3.3 all 3 trx engines is used for that mount. nice color on the chassis there, i like blue my pede had silver chassis plates but i switched over to blue and blue a arms also.
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    I like the green chassis! Pretty cool! As cen stated, get the 3.3 gears. If you look on ebay they usually tell you that it's for the 3.3 or the 2.5. The pullys are 20 groove. Just search "traxxas 20 grove pully" and you will find what you need. Same thing for the belts. The title or description will tell you whether they are for the 3.3 or 2.5.
    I had my nitro set up for drifting for a while so I ran the rear sway bar only. I locked both front and rear diffs and it made a huge difference and better drifting. However, for the track and speed runs I think it's best to leave them stock...unlocked. The 3.3 will whip the rear end out with both rears pulling the same power if you have them locked.
    If you don't get your parts from ebay, let me know. I'm at work right now but when I get home I can look up some of the part numbers out of my manual.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WH20 View Post
    I like the green chassis! Pretty cool! As cen stated, get the 3.3 gears. If you look on ebay they usually tell you that it's for the 3.3 or the 2.5. The pullys are 20 groove. Just search "traxxas 20 grove pully" and you will find what you need. Same thing for the belts. The title or description will tell you whether they are for the 3.3 or 2.5.
    I had my nitro set up for drifting for a while so I ran the rear sway bar only. I locked both front and rear diffs and it made a huge difference and better drifting. However, for the track and speed runs I think it's best to leave them stock...unlocked. The 3.3 will whip the rear end out with both rears pulling the same power if you have them locked.
    If you don't get your parts from ebay, let me know. I'm at work right now but when I get home I can look up some of the part numbers out of my manual.
    Found them on ebay, thanks!! Do you know which Tony's or Hex Screws kit will work for my model? I would think they are all the same but each company has different kits for different models....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Tec-Screw-Kit

http://www.hexcrews.com/traxxas-nitr...rsion-kit.aspx

-JuRRd

RC Qualifier
    Another easy find on ebay. A lot of people buy RC's and tear them down to sell for parts. They sell Traxxas 3.3 complete hardware kits on ebay as well around $10 or less. Like this, but if you shop around you can find them cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item1e6adde30e

Or something like this is good to have as well. Just an assortment of scews. It says for Bandit but traxxas uses a lot of the same sizes for all their vehicles. I have two of these kits for my 4 Traxxas RCs. Very helpful to have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-BAND...ht_2204wt_1110

RC Racer
    Well a bunch of patt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    -JuRRd

RC Racer
    Disregard ny last post... stupid phone!

Well a bunch of parts came in today, still waiting on servos and a new carb, but she's coming together... pics below.

-JuRRd

RC Racer
    Got the "show" body done...

-JuRRd

RC Qualifier
    Starting to come alone really nice! I'm a fan of black wheels so I would paint the inner part of the wheel black and leave the outside ring chrome/silver. But that's just me . Plain one color bodies always look the best in my opinion. That's a sweet looking ride!

RC Racer
    Got the gopro mount mocked up and got my "speed test" body done... all that's left is a new servo saver and mount the gps then I should be ready to post some numbers!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    -JuRRd

looks great there, man looks like a whole different 4tec.
    Living life.

RC poster
    i have the sway bars on only the front of mine. i am fairly new to this hobby so keep in mind that i most likely don't know what i am talking about. anyways, what a difference the sway bars make!! it was constantly flipping over whenever i turned at medium to high speeds. i have it set on the second hole from the last facing the front of the car. i tried every setting and that seemed to be the best. i didn't put them on the rear because i read that they do no good there. i could be wrong. someone let me know if i am!! anyways, i love my 4 tec. run it almost daily. its the 3.3. make sure you have plenty of room or you will be buying many new parts!!!

RC Racer
    Well she is back apart again... After several failed speed runs, due to my lack of running space, and I was scared I was going to wreck, I have decided to make this into a drifter... It is about the only class they have her locally that I feel that I can be competitive in with this platform.

My questions are now about a drifting set-up....

Lock both the diffs or just the front or rear?

Sway bars on both front and rear? or just one? and what settings?

Best drift tires?

Thanks guys... will keep you updated on my progress....

Sent from my DROID X using my fingers
    Last edited by JuRRd87; 04-19-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    -JuRRd

RC Racer
    Anyone know if these are worth a darn?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMJ-55mm-oil...e#ht_695wt_952
    -JuRRd

RC Qualifier
    Not sure about the shocks. I've had pretty good luck with the stock ones. As for my shelf queen, I dressed them up with something like that. Didn't really care how well they worked...they just need to look good.
    Had one of my tecs set up for drifting and it was amazing! I locked both diffs, sway bar in the front and I used ABS pipe for drift tires. I also added some spacers to the shocks to stiffen it up a little. Kicks out better when it's stiff. If you are competing with the tec, ask the guys in the class what tires they are using. I used ABS because for $8.00 you can get a 10 foot section of pipe. Just imagine how many sets of tires you can make out of 10 feet! And they last a long time too. Worked well for me. But again, ask the guys at the track what they are using.
    One more thing, it takes some getting use to since you are drifting with a nitro. The throttle control is going to be messy since it's not controlled by a precise ESC. So practice a lot! It will take time. Out of all the mods and changes I have done to my tec, I would say drifting it was the most fun! I loved the rally version but too much maintenance with that one. Drifting was a lot of fun. And you won't scar up your bodies unless you are just really terrible at drifting. LOL! Good luck and post pics!