Thread: Driving Modes

RC Qualifier

Driving Modes

Anyone figure out how the driving modes and launch control work? They are supposably controlled by the 3rd and 4th channel on the transmitter. However, the 3rd and 4th channels on the receiver are empty. How is this possible? I want launch control on my XO-1 when I build it!
    XO-1, E-Revo Dual 700-HO's, Slash 4x4, AX-10

RC Champion
    Well, since Castle's ESCs are programmed via the throttle cable, I would assume those extra control signals are sent to the ESC via the throttle cable. So, either the receiver is specifically designed to combine those CH3/4 signals onto the throttle signal to program the ESC, or those aren't really CH3/4 signals but special signals multiplexed onto the throttle signal. Either way, those special settings have to be sent along the throttle cable to the ESC.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Qualifier
    It looks like the standard TQi receiver. So maybe it's all handled by the transmitters software. I wonder if it will work with my Mamba Monster?

RC Champion
    I think your right, it's just different TX throttle curves and end points.

RC Champion
    i think traxxas should do a 1/5 dirt bike..they would sell a ton of them...

RC Champion
    I would think launch control would have to be done via the torque-control feature of the ESC because mashing the throttle will give the same results no matter what kind of throttle curve you set.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC poster
    It's can work on your XO-1 unless you use the ESC. It's just like the XO-1. If you use the different receiver with the Castle's ESC that your XO-1 can't not work.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like its all done in the transmitter itself. On page 10 it says the transmitter has 4 channels for controlling the throttle modes, electronic launch control & steering. So the switches are for selecting throttle curve, end points and maybe a ch on off switch.
    This is how I'd program my controller.
    "Burnout mode" gives the throttle a linear curve, you hold the car then throttle up to warm up the tires at any wheel speed you choose.
    "Stage mode" i'm not sure about but if I was to program my transmitter I'd set a very laid-back throttle curve to be able to ease the car forward.
    "Race mode" sounds like it sets a throttle end point (torque limiter) thats adjusted by the muti-function knob, limiting the amount of power set to the motor.
    "launch control" switch (ch 3) sounds like a channel on/off switch. With the launch control on the throttle signal (ch 2) would be set to 0 no matter where the trigger is pulled to (neutral or full), flip the control switch off and ch 3 turns back on and goes from 0(off) to full(100) or to where the torque control (end point) has been is set to instantly.

Again I'm not positive this is how traxxas has this setup, it's how I would do it.

(edit) Thinking more about the launch control switch thought of a way to modify a trasmitter to have a "launch control" is for the switch to disconnect the throttle trigger's potentiometer and reroute it thru a resistor that has the same resistance value as the triggers neutral position. Switch on =Trigger is bypassed. Switch off = Trigger is normal. Would send a signal that has no curve, the esc would go from O to 100 (or anywhere inbetween) instantly
    Last edited by NvTwist; 04-04-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added paragraph

RC Enthusiast
    I think youre right Nv. That launch control sounds a lot like something I had on my old Airtronics XL2P radios, you would press a small switch with your thumb and as long as you held it down the throttle trigger was not active, let it go and it took off from whatever position the trigger was in. Hold the button, mash the trigger, wait for the tone and let it rip!

RC Champion
    +1 to the NvTwist hypothesis.

RC Qualifier
    Makes sense. So the question is.... Is it hardware or software? Can this transmitter be used on the funny car then say... Switch over to a Summit and have all 4 channels work with the tranny and diffs?

RC Enthusiast
    It's done by software. In order for the launch control mode to work the driving mode switch must be in the stage position first, if it's in burnout or race it won't activate launch mode and throttle works normally.
    In Staging mode applying 1/2 throttle will slowly turn the motor shaft an 1/8th of a turn (click one pole at a time), works in forward and reverse but prolonged driving in stage mode will cause overheating.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok i've found the answer.
    The reciver that comes installed in the Funny Car is a unique 4-channel radio system that has customized programs - Burnout, Staging, Race Mode, and elec Launch Control.
    The Transmitter also seems to also have a 7th mode (torque control) on the multi function knob that doesn't seem to be on other TQi transmitters supplied with other vehicles.

Come on traxxas employees, any one of you could have easily answered this question and others like Ducati777's torque control question. Here's the Link incase ya'll wanna answer it but i doubt any will. Everyone has questions.
    Last edited by NvTwist; 04-05-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Adding a comment

RC Champion
    IMO
    It's throttle channel expo on the multi function renamed to reach whatever demographic they're targeting. Dragracers fans/Rc Noobs won't know the difference and it's a fimiliar term for them already.

Now go buy a 3s 25c 6400mah lipo with a high current Traxxas connector noobie. Oh you don't know where to buy one, we sale those too....