RC Competitor

Turnbuckle for Digger/Pede

I'm working on a few upgrades for my Digger and checked that the front turnbuckles measure 78mm.

1- there's a stronger replacement for this front turnbuckle? I didn't find....

2- the 2wd digger use turnbuckles only on the front. Can I make a setup using turnbuckles like the 4x4 Pede? What is the benefits for that?

Regarding turnbuckles, I'm going to buy Protrac kit also, so I don't know if the size will change.

Thanks all!
    Grave Digger - SPC, Big Bores and RPM parts...

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    If you go with the ProTrac Kit itself I would hold off on buying turnbuckles. You will still need to pick up rod ends though. I'm guessing this is an XL-5 or stock Monster Jam pede? Even though i'm fixing to contradict what i just said, but it would be a good idea to buy a set of VXL links off eBay. They can be had for $10 < shipped and this could hold you over until you get the ProTrac Kit. If you purchase these you will have your rod ends.

These links allow you to adjust camber and toe.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Hi DiggerPede,

I have a Monster Jam with some upgrades, like Castle and other few mods.

The ProTrac Kit is on his way, so I think I will wait.

About rod ends, any suggestion? And for steel balls for this new rod ends...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    If you go with the ProTrac Kit itself I would hold off on buying turnbuckles. You will still need to pick up rod ends though. I'm guessing this is an XL-5 or stock Monster Jam pede? Even though i'm fixing to contradict what i just said, but it would be a good idea to buy a set of VXL links off eBay. They can be had for $10 < shipped and this could hold you over until you get the ProTrac Kit. If you purchase these you will have your rod ends.

These links allow you to adjust camber and toe.

RC Qualifier
    The links in the protrac kit are pretty stout. I just stuck with traxxas rod ends on mine and they have held up great for almost a year now. If I remember right it was pretty tough to thread them on to the protrac links but it did work. I know rpm makes ball ends too but I do not have any experience with them myself.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbere View Post
    I'm working on a few upgrades for my Digger and checked that the front turnbuckles measure 78mm.

1- there's a stronger replacement for this front turnbuckle? I didn't find....

2- the 2wd digger use turnbuckles only on the front. Can I make a setup using turnbuckles like the 4x4 Pede? What is the benefits for that?

Regarding turnbuckles, I'm going to buy Protrac kit also, so I don't know if the size will change.

Thanks all!
    Its cuz their official size is 61mm. They measure the steel or aluminum inside. Not including the Rod ends.... But bolt to bolt, the actual length is 96mm.

This is how the company lists them for the Pede. . . 61mm Which is this measurement. Which is what most of us refer too...

This is the bolt to bolt measurement

But if u got the stock set-up. U can get the Steel ones
    Part 3645

Or alum ones....Avail in blue or Red aluminum.

Aluminum Turnbuckles Blue 61mm Stampede (2)
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXPXV2&P=8

Two things to keep in mind. This is for STOCK length. (what the digger comes with). . But thats what u need. 2nd. Turnbuckles only refers to the "turning ones' some people state those as the word for links, but thats incorrect. These are for steering, what u measured. The ones for your "Camber" which go above ur A arms.... Are the following sizes. . .

39mm For the Front Camber links STock.... Avail in Alum or steel....

49mm for the REAR camber links. Stock.... Avail in alum or steel....

But as DiggerPede advised, is the best way to go. VXL links are the best option, 2nd to getting a Protrac kit, that comes with the LInks u need. This is also the best time to do that, before u buy parts ul not be able to use "when" u upgrade to the Protrac in the future.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Its cuz their official size is 61mm. They measure the steel or aluminum inside. Not including the Rod ends.... But bolt to bolt, the actual length is 96mm.
    AbSoLooT1, thanks for the great info that you posted! It's amazing!

I was looking for a 78mm turnbuckle based on exploded views of Monster Jam. I measure it and it actually have 78mm like your first picture (without rod ends).

Take a look at the exploded view. Part number #2336

Two things to keep in mind. This is for STOCK length. (what the digger comes with). . But thats what u need. 2nd. Turnbuckles only refers to the "turning ones' some people state those as the word for links, but thats incorrect. These are for steering, what u measured. The ones for your "Camber" which go above ur A arms.... Are the following sizes. . .

But as DiggerPede advised, is the best way to go. VXL links are the best option, 2nd to getting a Protrac kit, that comes with the LInks u need. This is also the best time to do that, before u buy parts ul not be able to use "when" u upgrade to the Protrac in the future.
    Like you and Digger said, it seams that even with this different sizes I can use stock VXL links and cambers, but I'm a lit bit confused about sizes. On my exploded view the cambers have 89mm - #3641 - and are plastic ones.

And I completely agree about choosing the parts that I will buy before I buying ProTrac!

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Regarding the rod ends everything Absoloot posted is spot on. I actually just picked up spares of traxxas p/n 3645 for my toolbox as they're the exact length and size that Proline provides for both front and rear camber. This is obviously rather convenient
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC poster
    Quick question from a noob. I'm installing aluminum cambers(part3741X) on my XL-5 (not monster). Do I retain the washers
    that were on the stock plastic cambers, or are they no longer necessary? Thanks for the help!!

No you don't need the metal washers anymore. They were put there so the plastic camber's could pivot up and down without any bind. The new links use hollow balls to pivot on.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbere View Post
    AbSoLooT1, thanks for the great info that you posted! It's amazing!

I was looking for a 78mm turnbuckle based on exploded views of Monster Jam. I measure it and it actually have 78mm like your first picture (without rod ends).

Take a look at the exploded view. Part number #2336

Like you and Digger said, it seams that even with this different sizes I can use stock VXL links and cambers, but I'm a lit bit confused about sizes. On my exploded view the cambers have 89mm - #3641 - and are plastic ones.

And I completely agree about choosing the parts that I will buy before I buying ProTrac!

Thanks!
    oh right right.... cuz u said u were lookin for em. Ya those are the "XL5' ones. THe thin, thin 3mm ones. But I was reffering to options that ur buying.... Thats what I meant

But for Protracs, There are two options that are 72mm and fit on the Protrac for rod ends with "LONG" rod ends.... Stocks are 61mm, WITH long rod ends.

Thats the difference. The rod ends add significant length. Ur XL5 ones, are 78mm with the really short 3mm Rod ends. Most Rod ends are 4mm. The Protrac ones, The Traxxas alum, or Traxxas Steel ones.

With Traxxas u can use either 5938 or 3641. Both are 72mm. Which is 61mm stock, plus 11mm for the Protrac kit. Its what I use....

Here is Protrac vs Traxxas Alum links

And heres what the Protrac Turnbuckles look like.

That total length, mounting point to point is like 107mm

RC Competitor
    Hi AbSoLooT1, I'm back. I was waiting for my ProTrac kit arrive to continue this thread.

Now I have my ProTrac kit but still have doubts what Rod Ends should I get for them....

Thanks
    AimberÍ

oh right right.... cuz u said u were lookin for em. Ya those are the "XL5' ones. THe thin, thin 3mm ones. But I was reffering to options that ur buying.... Thats what I meant

But for Protracs, There are two options that are 72mm and fit on the Protrac for rod ends with "LONG" rod ends.... Stocks are 61mm, WITH long rod ends.

Thats the difference. The rod ends add significant length. Ur XL5 ones, are 78mm with the really short 3mm Rod ends. Most Rod ends are 4mm. The Protrac ones, The Traxxas alum, or Traxxas Steel ones.

With Traxxas u can use either 5938 or 3641. Both are 72mm. Which is 61mm stock, plus 11mm for the Protrac kit. Its what I use....

RC Competitor
    Forget about it AbsoLooT1... I read your fantastic thread about Everythin you need to know about protrac.

Thanks!!!

For your camber links you need TRA5525 and for the steering TRA5347. Just making sure you are getting the right ones. Another choice is to pick up the VXL links and just swap the rod ends over.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info DiggerPede... I will also pick TRA5347.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    For your camber links you need TRA5525 and for the steering TRA5347. Just making sure you are getting the right ones. Another choice is to pick up the VXL links and just swap the rod ends over.