RC poster

Revo 3.3 optidrive

I recently bought a Revo 3.3 and about two tanks after break in it constantly dies when ever slowing down. tried riching it up a bit and still, the same issue. tried leaning it and no progress. and now the opti drive sensor light is solid red. tried resetting the opti drive and it wont flash green or anything, just solid red.

PLEASE HELP!!!

These issues are starting to make me regret buying the revo instead of the HPI Savage XL!!

hhmmm, sounds like you have 2 separate issues. The electronics are separate from the engine.

does the transmission spin freely? I am wondering if you have a clutch sticking causing the engine to die. The other issue is you arent getting a signal from the sensor of the optidrive. you should be getting a green light and the occasional blue on the sensor light. have you changed the wires around from the receiver? make sure those are correctly plugged in or it will do the same thing.

Curious indeed

RC poster
    I havent checked to see if it spins freely or not but all the wireing for the optidrive looks like its all in perfect condition. no cuts or splits and they are all connected and inserted into the correct slots. people keep saying just to get rid of the reverse but i just bought it. i want to keep it atleast for a little while.

I love my reverse....I dont have to run after it all the time. If you purchased it new, take it back. you can straight wire your reverse servo into the receiver...accidental reverse and transmission damage could ensue

RC poster
    the spur gear spins freely in one direction but grabs going the other direction. only maintanance ive really done is the metal pin inside the tranny snapped in two so i bought a new one and have changed the spur gear, as well as put the long travel on it. everything has been put back together correctly, i even double checked with the manual and diagrams that came with it.

odd, snap a picture of the receiver wiring. I'll cross check it with mine. They are sensitive, so i hear, it may have went out on ya

RC Racer
    I would recommend to tackle one problem at a time . I would start with disconnecting the optidrive and see what she does. I would also check your throttle linkage and carb settings make sure you have correct gap when in idle or braking. The carb might be closing all the way . If I had "just purchased" I would definatley take it back LHS should definatley fix it , free of charge.
    "My Ideas always work sometimes"

RC poster
    ya i bought it the 19th of last month so im definately taking it back. REDSAWACS its not letting me add photos but ill keep trying

RC poster
    cant add photos

use photobucket. download pictures and then you can hyperlink them from there onto the forum...google works wonders for learning about this stuff

RC poster

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderpatrol92 View Post
    Seems to look about right.

I've read of people having faulty Opti sensors or could have something to do with when you fixed the pin in the tranny?
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC poster
    so for the opti sensor do i have to go through traxxas or will the hobby shop trade me for a new one? i really dont want to wait to ship it in to traxxas and wait for it to come back.

RC Qualifier
    so for the opti sensor do i have to go through traxxas or will the hobby shop trade me for a new one? i really dont want to wait to ship it in to traxxas and wait for it to come back.
    Hard to say, I would try to exercise a little patiance and posibly tear into the tranny again just to have a look if nothing else.

Come to think of it you can power up the electronics "Turn the Tx and RX on" and just roll it back and forth and watch the light on the Opti-Drive.

If it changes from red to blue back and forth as you roll it then the O-D is fine.

Other than that it sounds like your carb settings are off or you have a broken clutch spring.

RC poster
    even when i roll it the light stays solid red. im going to start tearing in to it again in a couple min just to see what i find, maybe unhook all the electronics and reconnect everything see if there is any changes in the sensor light. as far as the carb goes i reset all the needles back to factory settings earlier today and still the sudden shut offs when idling.

RC Qualifier
    Pull the glow plug and have a look at the coil, if it's touching the sides then it's time for a new one.

The Opti-Drive is only there to prevent accidental shifts into reverse and since you have the 2.4 it has a built in fail safe.

Easy fix is to remove the O-D unit and use a paperclip in the thumb swith of your controller to prevent shifting into reverse till you need it.

Not to mention that the Savage does not have reverse either and neither do both of my revo's.
    Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 04-06-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling

RC poster
    just pulled the glo plug out, still perfect and NEW. ill try taking the opti drive out and see what happens.

is there a certain way i should try to bypass it?

some hobby shops will work with you and help you with the warranty bit, especially within 30 days. call Traxxas tomorrow and get things started with them. I believe there is a 30 day warranty with them, then its on you....usually

RC poster
    ok thanks i will definately call them and the hobby shop, but as far as the shop goes the guy was a edit so i doubt he'll be any help but its worth trying.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-06-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    just pulled the glo plug out, still perfect and NEW. ill try taking the opti drive out and see what happens.

is there a certain way i should try to bypass it?
    Just plug the Throttle and shifting servo's directly in the the receiver,

Throttle #2
    Shifter #3

RC poster
    teeth on all gears is good as well as on the O-D sensor gear all good. im guessing its just a bad O-D

RC poster
    well i was messing with stuff and noticed that when i plug my revo in the charger stays green, but when i took the battery pack out and plugged it straight into the charger directly the light turned red to indicate charging so we'll see what happens in the morning.

RC Qualifier
    I just read the manual and it says that if you have a low battery the O-D light will flash red, it also says that if the light stays red then there is a either a broken wire or a damaged O-D sensor.

Or the O-D has lost signal and entered fail-safe mode.

That is why I suggested last night that you turn on both you TX and RX when you roll it to see if the light changes color.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Last edited by NITR0 newbie; 04-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.

once that light goes red, it will not flash blue. Mine lost signal when I added the TQi receiver and it wouldnt do anything else. I am going to assume everything is connected correctly and you have a faulty OD unit. But, that is for Traxxas to determine. I would place a call into them and talk with them. You are more than likely going to be a victim of the shipping pain.

with the engine. View the DVD once more, read the manual about break-in and break-in settings. Set it back to factory settings and give it another shot. make sure the idle screw is holding the slide open and not the throttle servo. Open the air gap in the carb slide (i think....0.7-1.0mm) 4 turns counterclockwise on the HSN and flush the LSN. (I find the best way to flush it is get a screwdriver that is larger than the screw and when you screw it down, it will eventually not be able to screw it down anymore because the screwdriver will bottom out on the ring.)

If you cant get it to run there, you have a fuel flow issue or damage to the engine/carb, I would suspect you have one screw or the other too rich or too lean. Perhaps both.

Have you pinch tested for setting the low side needle? Thats not a perfect setting but it will get you in the ball park for the low side needle. At least it will give you an idea how far off it is.

Let me know - REMEMBER, you have 2 separate issues, I doubt they are related

RC poster
    well after unplugging my battery directly from the wall my opti drive works, which to me is weird because the manaul says if its solid something is broken. so my only guess is that the wiring that allows you to just plug the whole truck in is faulty or not totally connected. now i just need to fix the idle shut down.

thanks alot for all your help!!!

AAHH, the ole low battery bit!