RC poster

ESC flashing red and green

Help!!! I bought my new Summit yesterday and cant drive it yet. Im going crazy.
    When I turn on the speed controller it flashes red and green and wont turn off (I have to un-plug it) the servos all work but no drive in ether direction. the servos are very noisy tho. I've read the whole manual and tried I think everything. You would think they would have a list of trouble codes for the EVX-2 but NOOOO.
    Please help I want to drive my new Summit

This is in my 16th Revo manual...
    Alternating; Blinks Red then Green: If the motor has no power, the VXL-3m has entered Over Voltage Protection. If a battery with too high voltage is used, the VXL-3m will go into a fail safe mode. Warning: If input voltage exceeds approximately 20 volts, the ESC may be damaged. Maximum peak input voltage limits are 12.6V in LiPo Mode (see page 18) and 18V in NiMH Mode.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I had the same problem when I got mine. You have two options,

1 - If you only have the stock batteries you need to discharge them until they're almost dead, than turn on the ESC, if it's no longer flashing red/green, push and hold the ESC button for 10 sec it will beep twice. You will now be good to use it with charged NiMH batteries.

2- The easy one, use a couple of LiPo's, turn it on, and away you go (with a sold green light). With the LiPo's on you can also do the push and hold for 10 sec's ... to turn off the lvd, so you can use your NiMH's.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC poster
    Ok thanks guys. I don't think my charger has a discharge cycle. So how can I discharge them?
    I wonder why the stock batteries would do that right out of the box (well after the first charge)
    I did buy a pair of LiPo's but once I got them home I saw that they were 1 volt less each than the stock ones and I didn't want the Summet to go any slower so I planned to exchange them, so I haven't charged them yet.
    Thoughts???
    Also the steering servos are making a lot of noise regardless of trim position. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Ransom; 04-09-2012 at 04:19 AM.

RC Racer
    For Lipo's you need 7.4 volts batteries. To get rid of the noise from your servos you need to adjust them so they're not fighting each other. I haven't had to do this yet so I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done, hopefully someone else will help you with this.
    Tekin powered Summit

When you flip the Summit on her back you will see that the linkage is adjustable... it must be adjusted to get the fight out of the servos... that is why they are buzzing. They are fighting to the death!

When the ESC is in LiPo (LVD) mode, NiMh's have too high of an initial voltage; throwing a code, the blinking LED's.
    I would still use LiPo over NiMh... the higher voltage does not last no where near as long as a LiPo's.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    so today I was trying to drive my traxxas stampede and the xl-5 esc was alternate blinking. why im using stock batteries

RC poster

Discharging over-charged NiMH batteries

How do you discharge the stock NiMH batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    I had the same problem when I got mine. You have two options,

1 - If you only have the stock batteries you need to discharge them until they're almost dead, than turn on the ESC, if it's no longer flashing red/green, push and hold the ESC button for 10 sec it will beep twice. You will now be good to use it with charged NiMH batteries.

2- The easy one, use a couple of LiPo's, turn it on, and away you go (with a sold green light). With the LiPo's on you can also do the push and hold for 10 sec's ... to turn off the lvd, so you can use your NiMH's.

ESC flashing red and green

Please see these instructions to disable LVD: https://traxxas.com/support/Get-XL-5...X-2-out-of-LVD
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by jgwade99 View Post
    How do you discharge the stock NiMH batteries?
    Using a nimh charger or hobby grade battery charger select the nimh discharge function and discharge to .9 volt per cell.
    e.g. 6.3 volts for a 7 cell 8.4 volt pack or
    5.4 volts for a 6 cell 7.2 volt pack.
    Do not go lower. Completely draining a nimh pack damages the cells.