Just won a 4-tec on ebay

So I just won a 4-tec on ebay for $120, not sure if thats a good price or not. I belive it has the .15 engine with the blue anodized exhaust. It came with two ez-starters, controller and a dodge viper body that looked pretty decent. Is that a fair price you think? I have a nitro sport now and wanted to try a something else nitro but I am kind of regretting getting it after this weekend. The neighbors dont like how loud it is at all. I got some dirty looks running it up and down the street.
    2 Slash's, 1 Nitro Sport, 1 P2DE

RC Champion
    120 is not a bad price for a good running 4tec. Don't expect the engine to be good, so you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't run well.. Thats the deal with used nitro cars.. I was running mine this weekend at my townhouse.. Yeh, they are a bit noisy but not as much as my Tmaxx.. As long as you are not running too early or late in the day there isn't much they can complain about. Its not as bad as a leaf blower..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

True I bought my sport used as well four $40 and runs like a champ still. I'm hoping the 4-tec is the same.

RC Qualifier
    It's a good deal, just expect to replace something on it. I like buying used and saving a few $$$'s. Yeah, don't let the neighbors get to you. I'm sure they mow their lawns and that is a LOT louder than a Nitro motor.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC poster
    also if your neighbors insist on complaining you can always switch to brushless...

Please watch your language, this is a family-friendly forum and Traxxas requests no offensive or profane language is to be used.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.

i sold me 4tec as i didnt have anywhere to run it, i liked the speed and all but there's not much space you can run them here where i live, 120 was a good deal.
    Living life.

Well Im glad I got a good deal it should be in tomorrow. I cant wait to drive it and start wrenching on it.

Would a sport with a .15 run about the same speed as a 4-tec with a .15 in drag race or is the 4-tec going to smoke it?

the 4tec i think would win as its AWD and the Sport is only RWD. it would wheel spin a little before taking off but the 4tec wouldnt more likely.
    Living life.

I am sending it back the 4 -tec was destroyed and had borken parts all over the place that were not mentioned. The controller was missing the knob, the exhaust was messed up. The starter mount was broken , amoung a whole other list of problems. I think I learned my lesson about buying used RC'S on ebay....
    Last edited by thatsmrjptou; 04-12-2012 at 06:51 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Make a list of the broken parts and see what it's going to cost you to get it up and running again. I said above to expect to replace some broken parts. That's what happens when you buy used. But buying used isn't a bad thing at all. If your list of broken parts is around $50 (ebay pricing) then you are still at a good deal with the $120. Is the radio an AM set up? Now is your chance to upgrade to a 2.4ghz. If your nitro sport is running a 2.4ghz Link, then all you need to buy is a receiver for the tec. Even at $100 of new parts needed you are still going to have a good running tec when you are done for just over $200. Again, there is nothing wrong with buying used, and you have to expect to drop a little coin in it to make it run well. Save your time shipping it back and fix it up.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

I just sent it back. I have enough projects to work on for now. I didnt really plan on winning it so low I figured it would be bid way up but somehow I managed to win it. I think if I buy used I'll go with electric. I looked it over again one last time and found more things wrong with it. I would have needed to rebuild the whole thing and I think the motor was shot as well even though it said it ran good. It had little to no compression. And the chassis itself was totally chewed up and had a little crack in it as well. By the time you add up, a new body, new controller,new motor, new receiver, new exhaust, possibly a new chassis and other small damaged parts that would easily throw atleast another $150 bare minum to it which I don't have right now.
    Last edited by thatsmrjptou; 04-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.

RC Racer
    Back in 2010 I bought a Nitro 4-tec 3.3 on eBay for $106.00 and the only thing wrong with it was a broken stub axle (part# TRA4853) and the drive shaft (TRA4851). The chassis is pretty scratched up from severe abuse and neglect but nothing too serious. The body is custom painted and the body post holes were drilled out too big and arent lined up very well with the body posts along with the wheel wells arent cut out properly as well so the tires almost rub on the body but I have made a few adjustments with my dremel. The car overall was filthy from top to bottom so I cleaned it up with diluted Simple Green and water and blew it dry with my air compressor. The fuel tank had stale fuel in it and I drained it and let it soak overnight with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as it had a lil discoloration inside the tank as well and blew it completely dry with the air compressor. I opened up the back plate on the engine to inspect for any varnish or damage from sitting for any period of time and found it nearly spotless. The 3.3 engine has excellent compression and still runs to this day. I guess I didnt get a bad deal considering these cars retail for about $400.00 at my LHS. I spent less than $20.00 to get it running. I'd like to think that I basically stole it considering the price I paid for it.
    http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n..._2374529_n.jpg
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine