Thread: Revo or Jato

RC Enthusiast

Revo or Jato

I currently have a s-maxx and I am going to buy another nitro to have tinker with and have my s-maxx as a back up when I break my new toy. I cant decide which one I want tho. My new one I am not going to take off road that much I am going to try to keep it clean and not try to bash it that much. So which one would you guys suggest for me to get between the Revo or Jato?

Two different animals. Do you want on-road? Off-road? 2wd? 4wd? Crazy speed or not? You have to determine what you want to do with it and decide what is best. What appeals to you?
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    My brother has a Jato and I have a Revo. If you are just going to stay on road I would get a jato. The jato is much faster than the Revo. It has better acceleration and is probably about 20 mph faster out of the box. If you decide you want to go off road with the jato you should buy some badlands tires. The jato also needs new brakes. The brakes are not very good. The revo is also pretty good though. I'd say its more for off road though.

RC Enthusiast
    Is there anything I should know about either model, such as weaknesses like how studmuffin said the brakes need to be upgraded on the jato. does the revo has a good transmission and does the reverse work well. Ive never dealt with a transmission with reverse before. Also does the Jato go fairly well if I did want to take it off road? I like the way the revo is set up. is there another model that is comparable to it that I should be looking at?

RC poster
    In addition to the brakes, if you want to run in the grass it would be smart to get badlands tires or some other sort of off road tires. It give the jato more ground clearance and a lot more traction in the grass. The reverse works pretty well in my revo but i don't really use the reverse much. The slayer is also like the revo. You might want to take a look at that too.

get the Revo and change tires when you want a Jato....then back when you want a Revo

Look at the nitro Rustler....I think that has a good mix of attributes you're lookin' for. I have my eye on one but I think i have to sell my Emaxx BL to get another car
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 04-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.

I don't think you're get an unbiased answer on a revo site
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    REVO.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    Closest I had to a Jato was the Rusty VXL. Same thing I would say just electric rather than nitro. It was wicked fast but the 2WD and constant wheelies were getting annoying. Had it for one season and got rid of it. As others have said, it depends on where you want to run it. The Revo can do it all and has 4WD. You can get street tires or aggressive mud tires. It will run on any terrain and pretty much go through anything. Out of the 7 RC's I have, the Revo is the one I can play with all year round in any condition.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

very good answer here, as stated if you want to mainly run off road then the Revo would be best but if you want it to run 80% on road and 20% off road then the Jato would be best just upgrade the brakes and such and maybe a few other things check out the Jato forum tons of info there on upgrades. i personally like the Revo i would buy if i had the money only because its a nitro i like nitro just as much as i like electric 50-50 on each. If you choose the Revo for running on road get some good on road tires and then switch them back to the stock or whatever off road tire you choose.
    Living life.

I have both and enjoy both. Don't think you can wrong with either one honestly. With that being said, i am actually building a second Jato strictly for off-road. I am adding some alum in certain areas that tend to flex a bit, but outside of that the only thing that i have seen that is not all that good on the Jato is where the front turnbuckles attach to the front bulkhead. If you do a couple cart wheels it will strip out easily. They make some alum or carbon parts to keep it from happening. Just need longer screws.
    --
    Lipo'd and Nitro'd - J-Rod

RC Champion
    I have found that if you want the most out of your revo get the response tires. Good on dirt as well as street. Jato is a bit too fast for dirt. Even with good tires like Badlands. But if your looking for the best top speed between the 2. The Jato is much, much faster.
    I know its a revo forum, But the N. Rusty does provide you with the best of both requirements. It requires a few mods. But it is easy to work on and parts are cheap. My rusty blows away revos and jatos on the dirt. But it is modded to the max.