RC poster

Question A few lipo questions on storage

How long should a lipo battery be charged for storage? I have a mrc super brain 989 with a balance board. What damage can take place if the battery is stored with a full charge? New to lipo's so I am tring to get a idea of how to handle them. I am running the Traxxas 7.4 2200 mah battery and already fried run ( charge batteries at 3.10 amps and discharge at 1 amp to a cut off of 2.9 volts per cell).
    If a battery should be stored with what is called a storage charge, then what would be the average charge time length considered as a storage charge length. Thanks for all of the help.

RC Qualifier
    I'm no expert, but storage voltage PER CELL should be typically 3.8-3.85V per cell. When you charge it, the lipo should be at 4.20V per cell. I typically charge/discharge mine to 3.85V per cell storage wise if I'm going to not take my EMBE out for more than 2 days. I generally always charge/discharge mine to storage voltage after each time out. Sure it takes a little more time to get them charged the next time, but I feel better about it. I have my LVC set at 3.5V per cell, I believe you can go down to 3.2V, but I don't want to push the limits. The 2.9V per cell is not a setting you want to keep, minimum is 3.2 when running it, 3.80-3.85 when storing it. I'm sure there are other ideas on this, I'm just saying what I do.
    FLM EMBE P4de "Digger" Slash MT Backsl4sh Summit

RC Champion
    I go away for a month at a time so I like to keep mine between 3.80 to 3.88. I have had no issues with my lipos. They are a year old now and the sit for a month every other month.

RC Champion
    how do you discharge a lipo besides by putting it in your rc and using it? i have the traxxas vxl brushless setup in my slash. when my esc cuts power to 50% when i use lvd what voltage is it at?

theres no need to discharge a lipo on the charger, it doesn't have memory effect and until someone comes along and proves the benefits of doing it I wouldn't do it.
    Maybe to break in a lipo, cycling the lipo, but even then using the rc to discharge them is good enough. When the lva/lvd kicks in charge the lipo back up, simples.
    But remember always balance charge.
    After a nights run I always put in storage mode because the next run, which should be the next day could end up being over a week away.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Champion
    ya i shut down as soon as my lvd kicks on and cuts power to 50%. but when i get home i put my lipo on the charge/balance charge then when its done charging i unplug it(unless i fall asleep, then it stays on the charge) and leave it till i use it next. my charger for my lipo has balance charge and automatic shut off when its done charging. same thing with my nimh and the charger i use for them.

RC Racer
    what could possilbly happen to a fully charged liPo battery if stored ? to me its just stored static power and unless acted upon, what could really happen ? are the molecules gonna get together and say, hey guys lets explode, or lets catch this baby on fire ? i just don't see it. i new to lipo,s but even the chemistry is different as other batteries, it is indeed a battery. just my 2 cents worth

RC Racer
    What could possibly happen? Well for one the internal resistance increases over time if the cells are not at the proper storage voltage (3.8-3.85v per cell). This causes decrease in runtime, making it seem as if your Li-Po is losing mAh. This increase of internal resistance is cumulative, so it adds up over time.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by randy0050 View Post
    what could possilbly happen to a fully charged liPo battery if stored ? to me its just stored static power and unless acted upon, what could really happen ? are the molecules gonna get together and say, hey guys lets explode, or lets catch this baby on fire ? i just don't see it. i new to lipo,s but even the chemistry is different as other batteries, it is indeed a battery. just my 2 cents worth
    I puffed one of my best packs by leaving it fully charged for about 3 weeks. Some packs are less prone to this than others. I have 2 other lower grade packs that have been left peaked for months with no problems. I voided my warranty on the puffed pack, because the seller expressly stated in the instructions that after 24 hrs of full charge, the v must be reduced to 3.8v. Follow the instructions that came with the pack.

That s;ightly puffed pack still runs perfect, but I will be replacing it soon.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...