RC Racer

Question Does Traxxas make better clutch bell bearings?

Hello,
    I have a Picco .26 Max engine and I keep blowing out clutch bell bearings. Does Traxxas make better ones?
    Also could it over heating cause them to blow out? Because I have a 3 shoe clutch that kept engaging on its idle.
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

RC Competitor
    How long do you use the bearings before they fail? They only last so long.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock0utRC View Post
    Hello,
    I have a Picco .26 Max engine and I keep blowing out clutch bell bearings. Does Traxxas make better ones?
    Also could it over heating cause them to blow out? Because I have a 3 shoe clutch that kept engaging on its idle.
    Rockout, you may already know this but one thing that kills clutch bearings fast is having the bell too tight. When you shim the clutch you should have a little play back and forth on the crank after tightening the crank screw down. If not the pressure on the bearing causes it to fail. I just buy the cheap ones and change them every gallon or so.

RC Racer
    a vented CB will all so keep heat down and help's the CB bearing's to last longer , I allso put a drop or two of CB bearing oil on each bearing every 10 to 20 tancks , got a full summer out of my last set .

RC Qualifier
    You don't have to use traxxas bearings....other companies make bearings that will fit a traxxas clutchbell. That's the beauty of "aftermarket". And I agree with what's been said above. They don't last forever and if too much pressure from being too tight is applied, they will fail.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Champion
    Bro you answered your question in the first post, the number one reason for bearing failure on a clutch bell is heat, bottom line, of course that's taking for granted that your not binding it when installing it. You shoes grabbing at idle is killing the bearing before you even get a chance to bash on it. That is the total beauty of the Buku system, #1 in the case you were dealing with you would have just tightened the spring up some and that issue would have been solved. #2 the brass shoes with the Komposite material conducts heat in a way that can't even be compared to alloy. Brass dissapates heat very fast compared to alum. and the Komposite material doesn't generate the heat on the bell like an alloy does. It's no secret I test for Buku and I have plenty of videos to prove and back up what i'm saying but i'm going for 6 gallons on a set of shoes AND the same 1 dollar Avid bearings in 2 different motors in 2 different trucks. I haven't had to take the motor out of Revo in so long no I forgot how much of a pain it was, I was doing it once a week at least eating bearing and testing clutches before I settled with the Buku Speed tune. I took it out to install an Envy Racing Slipper locker, I run a tight slipper anyway so this part takes the whole slipper out of the picture.. I like it, it's not for the faint at heart and you need some wheel time and know how to land a jump with out tearing stuff up. Opps sorry to get off topic. Bottom line is Heat is the enemy for a clutch. I have it on video but after beating the snot out of a midblock picco 26 just making hard wot passes banging it around and back on the throttle hard over and over, got the mill to 265 consistant and the clutch temp was 114, that is crazy good man. Plain and simple the only reason I'm still running the same CB bearing is due to the Buku clutch, we are talking 8 months, now this winter I didn't bash the nitros like I have in the past, over the course of the winter, which was mild here I burned a gallon of nitro in the Revo and XL. lol burned about 10 gallons of gas in the scalers. I've joined with Buku as a rep and we are starting a 5th scale clutch shoe resurfacing gig. Buku is suppling me the material and I'm doing the work. The scaler guys are chomping at the bit to get there hands on them. Check out my web site, Custom CV Protectors, that's my other gig I got going, I'll be adding Nitro and Electric 10th and 8th scale pages as time goes on, self help videos and question and answers, whatever, there will also be a forum coming. Talk about anything you want. http://www.customcvp.com it's a work in progress but the orders are coming in. Drop a line in the contact us page.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Racer
    Bleh Yeah I guess I need to use stronger clutch springs. It blew out on the stock 2 shoe clutch too.
    I'd say they last about a gallon before they blow out. I'll try to as my local hobby shop if there's a more sturdy bearings too.
    Revo 2.5r, Slayer Pro 4x4 Picco .26 max.

RC Racer
    I've had a bearing failure too, but switched to ceramic bearings and haven't had a failure since.

RC Enthusiast
    boca bearing are the best ones that i have found not just for cb's all around for your truck too!
    revo 3.3

tmaxx 2.5 alum. upgrades 3.3 motor

RC Racer
    I have found Vxb.com to have good bearings. I have used them many times and they last very good. And the price is right most of the time.