RC poster

New guy seeking a little advice

Hello,
    After watching a buddy bash his Slash 4x4 around in the infield of a Nascar race, I decided I wanted in on the fun. So, needless to say, I'm new to the r/c scene and seek some advice:

I ordered a Slash 4x4 and a couple Trinigy ********** 5800mah 2S 40C LiPo's with Traxxas connectors to swap back and forth in place of the stock battery.
    Will the stock gearing be o.k. with these batteries? Or do I need to pick up something else? Btw, I'm not as concerned about top speed as I am about control and reliability.

Also, what do you guys suggest I pick up for spare parts? I don't see myself doing any serious racing for awhile. I'll probably just be bashing around and learning how to drive these beasts.

I've also got some Trencher SC 2.2/3.0 M2's mounted on Renegade wheels on the way and a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus Charger.

Thanks!

p.s. I hope mentioning a few other brands doesn't get me booted. I'm certainly not promoting anything, I just want to make sure I give good info so I can get the best advice. Please let me know if I need to edit my post.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you should be fine stock gearing on 2s, if you plan to go with 3s probably you will have to gear it lower, get a temp gun it helps a lot, try to keep your motor-esc tems below 180F.

RC Racer
    Or if it has the TQI docking base you could get sensors
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Racer
    Highly recommend the King Headz or STRC motor mount and slipper bearing adapter first and foremost. I prefer the King Headz as it comes with an oversize bearing and spare. Expect to pay $35 for it. Second the RPM Front Bumper/ skid plate about $15. Traxxas ESC fan $22 and Team Associated long heat sink for the motor $12. Never hurts to go ahead and get another body as I can tell you the stock body will quickly crack up from abuse/ bashing etc. Once the stock body wears out you will at least have one already painted and trimmed waiting to go.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterBash View Post
    Hello,
    After watching a buddy bash his Slash 4x4 around in the infield of a Nascar race, I decided I wanted in on the fun. So, needless to say, I'm new to the r/c scene and seek some advice:

I ordered a Slash 4x4 and a couple Trinigy ********** 5800mah 2S 40C LiPo's with Traxxas connectors to swap back and forth in place of the stock battery. Be VERY careful when doing this. You will need to switch your ESC back and forth between LVS and non LVS. (turn the Electronic Speed Control back and forth between Low Voltage Sensor for Lipo and non Low Voltage for the NiMh)
    Will the stock gearing be o.k. with these batteries? Or do I need to pick up something else? Btw, I'm not as concerned about top speed as I am about control and reliability. I would go ahead and pick up another Lipo or two. Same brand and rating to make your life a little easier on charging.

Also, what do you guys suggest I pick up for spare parts? I don't see myself doing any serious racing for awhile. I'll probably just be bashing around and learning how to drive these beasts.

I've also got some Trencher SC 2.2/3.0 M2's mounted on Renegade wheels on the way and a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus Charger.

Thanks!

p.s. I hope mentioning a few other brands doesn't get me booted You can talk about any brand you like. Just do not ask for technical assistance for another brand.. I'm certainly not promoting anything, I just want to make sure I give good info so I can get the best advice. Please let me know if I need to edit my post.
    Welcome to the addiction. RIght now you really do not need to buy anything except maybe a temp gun. That is money well spent especially down the road when you upgrade the motor or start changing gearing and stuff. Most people will recommend RPM A-arms, Techno or MIP CVD's. Tons of recommended upgrade threads around. Check them.

Good luck and have fun!

RC poster
    Thank for the responses guys.
    I'll definitely be picking up an aluminum motor mount and slipper bearing adapter, then keep the originals as backups.

Sounds like heat is a major concern when switching to Lipo's. So a heat sink for the motor and fan for the ESC are on the list. Will heat still be an issue after that?

I've got the ability to get the telemetry dock, but don't own an iphone or ipad, so I'll start looking at temp guns..or perhaps an android app will be coming soon (*hint*hint*Traxxas)

As far as the batteries go, I wasn't planning on using the NiMh unless necessary, but I appreciate the tip on switching the ESC. I didn't realize that was required.

Oh, and I do have an extra body coming, as well. I plan to paint it Satin Black (cause im a noob),which will be the base of a Monster Energy scheme.

So any simple parts that tend to need replaced a lot?

RC Qualifier
    cooling fans
    king headz motor mount
    strc alum. steering upgrade
    metal sheild bearings all around
    i feel that these upgrades will save alot of head ache in the long run, there are tons of upgrades and guys will throw everything at you
    these are just the places where i have had issues and since upgrades like stated no more problems

Go to gonitrohobbies.com and get the Mip X-Duty axles! It will save you lots in the long run.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Depending on what you wanna do in the long run, tires are a must to upgrade!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterBash View Post
    Thank for the responses guys.
    I'll definitely be picking up an aluminum motor mount and slipper bearing adapter, then keep the originals as backups.

Sounds like heat is a major concern when switching to Lipo's. So a heat sink for the motor and fan for the ESC are on the list. Will heat still be an issue after that?

I've got the ability to get the telemetry dock, but don't own an iphone or ipad, so I'll start looking at temp guns..or perhaps an android app will be coming soon (*hint*hint*Traxxas)

As far as the batteries go, I wasn't planning on using the NiMh unless necessary, but I appreciate the tip on switching the ESC. I didn't realize that was required.

Oh, and I do have an extra body coming, as well. I plan to paint it Satin Black (cause im a noob),which will be the base of a Monster Energy scheme.

So any simple parts that tend to need replaced a lot?
    Heat should be pretty good with an ESC fan and heat sink for the motor. Just make sure to temp the motor ON the MOTOR not the heat sink. Mainly checking more often when running in sand, tall grass or other low traction environments.

Don't worry about the telemetry gear. A temp gun and some patience to check every five minutes is all you need. Probably every third or so time you roll it, just temp it when you go to flip it back over... lol There may not ever be an Android app just because all of the phones have different spots to plug them in. They would have to come out with some huge cheesy mount that could mount ALL of the different phones. It would just be ugly.

If you plan on painting it stain black you might look into doing the underside in rubberized undercoating then doing the Monster Energy logo on the outside.

As far as other upgrades, the only thing I have had to replace on my truck is the front Bulkhead, center drive shaft, front drive hub. Check http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...32#post5132132 Now, I have also started bending shock shafts but that is because I left the back bumper off and was making a BUNCH of big air jumps at the track. These trucks are VERY durable. If you are just looking to spend cash and tinker with your truck let me know and I will get you a list of upgrades =)