RC poster

Drivetrain backlash - what's normal?

How much backlash is normal for the drivetrain of the Summit? If I place the car on a flat surface and roll it backwards until the motor turns, I have to then roll it about 1/8 to 1/6 of a tire rotation until the motor turns in the opposite direction. Is this normal for yous guys? (The car is brand new, just out of the box.)

RC poster
    I just measured it: I need to roll the car 3 inches to take up the drivetrain backlash. This seems like a lot to me.

RC Competitor
    Yes it's normal. The backlash is play not he center diff. There is a forum out there of someone making a custom engagement part to prevent the backlash. Don't hold me to the name of that part. I'll find the part number and post it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LEM have a fix for this
    LEM 212 Summit dog carrier. All but eliminates that issue

RC Competitor
    3985x is the part. Notice the part on the left has 2 drive dogs on either side. This slides into the larger 3985x on the right. Notice the 2 slots are larger then the drive dogs. That play you feel is caused by the size difference.

RC poster
    Great and fast responses! Thanks for the fast and accurate info!

RC Competitor
    The funny part is I work in a machine shop and was thinking of this today, thinking about making one to take the backlash out. Was thinking aluminum maybe, or some stainless steel