Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: My FPV Summit

RC Champion
    It's built.

It's finally built! Took 21 pages and almost 3 years!

Lots to do still - LOTS - but the overall shape has all come together finally. Every piece has undergone two or three revisions, I've gone through almost $200 in ABS plastic just getting things to work, but all in all it has turned out exactly as I hoped!

Today I finally tackled how I am going to mount the IR lights to the side of the headunit, and did as such:

I have the IR LED, and the flashlight parts from those $5 ebay cree flashlights:

I designed a plastic "holder" for the LED to position it over the lense:

Now it sits nicely over the lens and is supported very well:

It fits perfectly (as in a pain to make fit) in the flashlight head:
    [img[http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/062_zps4tvfiesb.jpg[/img]

Add a spacer:

Add a cap with wiring and screw holes:

Presto:
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-11-2015 at 10:13 PM.

RC Champion
    To get the side pieces straight I've made a sort of "key" part that locks the orientation in place and changes the angle from +/- 5° back to "straight" or 0° so that the camera and lights all face straight forward, and not on that 5° I've put to the sides of the whole head unit:

Here it is fully assembled:

This is the most unbelievably mind boggling build I have ever seen.Its complete madness.....The good kind.
    Its so good that I'm not sure I'm talented enough to carry out your garbage can
    Amazing
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Looks very good. Is it completed? I am wondering if that vehicle can do the climbing? Not waterproof?

RC Champion
    Hahah jamann, as long as you don't mind being covered in 100lbs of abs dust or getting 1001 cuts from all the sharp angles and cut outs.. you're more than qualified! :P

I too wonder if it will be able to climb . . let alone DRIVE. The thing is heavy, suspension is still lifting it, but now it's more like a real car - mostly compressed. I'm a little disappointed with the amount of shake on the camera pan, the servo gear itself isn't TIGHT and there's zero that can be done for that, it's just the way the servo is built/meshed inside. I'm thinking of building some sort of tension spring to keep it still but that's for later on.

Right now I just want to get some basics wired up and see about driving the thing.

Waterproof? Well, the motor is and the ESC is. The cameras aren't really but the boxes they're in will be, and the radio receivers most likely will be too, but all in all I want this to be SPLASH resistant, not submersible - too many things to do just to get in to make a quick change.

RC Champion

Awesome. That video shows head of Optimus Prime. I think you can build robots!

RC Champion
    Hahaha THAT's what it's been reminding me of!! Everyone keeps saying CHAPPIE and I - can't wait to see it - haven't seen it yet and this design just came to me after 5,000 revisions haha. Optimus isn't so bad! Autobot afterall =D

Right now I'm working on getting rid of the servo slop. It's just too much at the top of the head, the servo itself isn't bad it's the fact that I'm using what works out to be a virtual 10" plus servo arm and there is too much backlash. I'll update on that soon!

RC Qualifier
    Congratulations krallopian! What a long journey it has been indeed! Absolutely stunning, fascinating and inspiring.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Champion
    Thanks a lot! Inspiring was the idea from the start!

Huge progression today, lots and lots of R&D on the camera tilt system, I've got something super awesome worked out and it's working excellent! I'm exhausted it's 3AM AGAIN, and I've been doing this since I woke up this morning AGAIN, I need a minute

FOR NOW - this just happened:

With my stupid muscular dystrophy, that took quite a while to get it back up the stairs - fortunately nothing broke, just antenna was turned around Parts were loose on it though and so many parts went flying everywhere, my heart sunk! Anyway finally got it and myself back up the stairs:

I'll post some videos and pictures tomorrow of this tilt setup, the FPV guys are going to love it! Shaky cams are the bain of FPV ground vehicles.

RC Champion

RC Champion
    Last night I got the TILT unit working perfectly. I'm extremely happy about this! The first tilt unit I was using would have been, JUST strong enough to tilt the head. I was upset because the servo had some slop/backlash to it. Think of a servo arm at 1cm - sitting still it doesn't move much, but at 2cm it can move a tad, at 5, 10, 30. . . the movement is way too much.

For my headunit the distance from the servo spline to the top is about 20cm, and if the servo arm moved .5mm at 1cm, you can imagine it moved quite a lot where the camera sits.

SO I built another TILT unit as I've shown in previous posts, using a MUCH larger servo. NOW it'll have to be solid! Nope, JUST as much movement without the servo even moving. I hate servo slop.

SO I used the Traxxas Servo Saver as one of the two legs that mount the tilt unit to the car, and using it's powerful spring as a sort of anti-backlash setup, it works exactly how I need it. Thankfully the monster servo has enough power to not only break that spring free, but also tilt the whole unit AND break it free, AND - best of all - not even need to be used to hold both the tilt AND spring in place!

So before I started with the spring idea, I took apart the servo to try and change the oil inside it hoping to make the gears mesh better. Here's how it looked from the factory:

So I wiped all that grease/oil away and filled it with 100,000 thick oil. Made a BIT of a difference! Nowhere near enough though. I ended up with oil all over my table, my face, everywhere I looked basically haha, what waste of time that was.

So then I found that I have a few of these laying around for some reason:

Coming up with 101 ways to mount it I found that I also had the perfect screw/mount - no idea where it came from:

That is an M5 or M6 screw with the perfect shaft to fit through the servo saver's bearings! Now I have a SOLID mount to the tilt mechanism.

Built up a new set of side plates for the tilt mechanism to make up the difference in height and retain the original screw hole mounts in the Traxxas part, used a short black arm to connect it to a specific spot (to make things symmetrical of course) and presto:

The screw stud looks a lot like a rocker arm pivot... TRA5354.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron View Post
    The screw stud looks a lot like a rocker arm pivot... TRA5354.
    Think you nailed it Jimmy looks like that to me as well
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Awesome! Jimmy I was wondering if you were still kickin'!!

I bought all new rockers and .. well basically three Summit's worth of gear ages ago, glad to know how to get a replacement! I just had to cut the screw down 50% to be 1/4" instead of OE length.

Just doing some testing my servos started acting up! I killed my Traxxas 3S 2.2v OOPS. Checked yesterday it was 3.75 each cell I figured I had some juice left. Hours of testing later I forgot batteries aren't infinite.

EZ Peak wouldn't touch it, so I hooked it up to my powersupply 200-500mA @11v and it came back to life. Lets hope it doesn't puff over night.

Haven't you installed some led lights? That will be awesome to have white and blue lights in the front and red lights in the rear. Get it at http://www.rclighthouse.com RC Lighthouse make very bright lights.

I think this lights set would be perfect for you. Check out http://store.rclighthouse.com/deluxe...or-ford-fiesta
    Last edited by jdpasl; 04-13-2015 at 08:23 PM.

RC Champion
    Haha, I do have LED's that will be powerful, much brighter than any RC stuff

I have white lights at the front, red at the back, and blueish/white on the camera pod along with IfraRed up there. I'll find a pic
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.

RC Champion

Last edited by krallopian; 04-13-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Wow, very bright. Looks so good. Have you drive it during the night?

RC Champion
    No I haven't yet. This project - if you have a week to read through the pages - has been constant, "Oh wow NOW that I have THIS, I can do THAT!" and I just go from one advancement to the next and always wanting to BETTER it before I actually just drive it haha.

Right now the motor isn't even installed in the thing. Uh yi yi, I'm so concerned that once it's finished I'll say, "well... that was fun" and not even drive it!! =D

Nah. But no, I haven't tested it outside in the dark yet, primarily because the visible light is only for that, onlookers to actually see it - the cameras will all depend on night vision - infrared - which will be far far FAR greater visibility than any amount of "night time LEDs" can provide. You'll see, in time =)

RC Champion
    I have to admit something, even though I'm grateful for all of the compliments, I must say . . I'm no wizard with this stuff, SUCH a learning process! For instance, when I couldn't find one part that I made last week, I ended up with this on my floor:

THOSE are all parts that weren't correct. Sure a lot of them were cut out as a test, and then improved upon, but . . that's way too many pieces, the box they're in weighs about 15lbs!

Anyway, today I changed the support structure on the car, made it stronger and yet more flexible at the same time AND created more room for the gyros (camera, and steering):

Here is the center piece and the rear piece, connected to each other, WITHOUT the pan platform or connection:

When I was building that, I grabbed a shot of the car with only the front end on - looks kinda neat:

Anyway, about 400,000,000 screw turns today I'm physically exhausted, calling it early this evening! Some major progress was made today though, tomorrow I'm going to get the thing running - motor, steering, tranny and diffs. Get some actual driving in!

Ahh that is lot of parts on the floor. What a waste. haha.. But good thing you've testing and make sure everything is good. Okay, I can wait until you start driving it. I am s sure it will be amazing to see it running and enjoy your view with FPV googles or FPV monitor! Lucky you. I wish I have FPV equipment but don't know which one to choose. Only one thing I like is FatShark goggles.

RC Champion
    Fatshark these days is making some quality goggles! I'm thinking I may get a headset in the future.

Read through this thread you'll learn what gear you should and shouldn't look at getting! That was the whole point of this thread =)

Lower frequencies are better for FPV on the ground, and HIGHER mW doesn't necessarily mean further range, just more heat and more battery use - I.E. the difference between 50mW and 200mW transmitters is HUGE, but from 500mW to 1500mW isn't anywhere near as big of a difference, aside from massive heat and massive battery drain. Let alone extra weight as they're usually larger too.

You can see in my design I have a huge heatsink on the side of the, "head." It's going to cool either my 700 or 1000mW transmitter:

RC Champion
    That's awesome! The ones I'm using are 1.5W x3 in the front and one red one just for looks in the rear. Any higher than 2W I'd need some hefty heatsinks and I didn't want that in the design, but wow your pictures look incredible!! Thanks for sharing =)

I just did the first drive test with the gear, and it handles so nicely. The suspension looks incredible as low as it is, handles much more like a real car now, doesn't want to tip over every two seconds! Suddenly it stopped moving and I quickly found the pinion gear wasn't tightened! Fortunately I didn't lose it.

RC Champion
    Just video'd another run, uploading it as I type this.

The HeyOK 4WS computer is doing an excellent job. Three little pots on it - maximum left, center, maximum right - to adjust everything you need.

Right now my rear camber and toe-in is off, but that doesn't matter for testing purposes. Neither does screwing in the front servo horns, because y'know, who needs front wheel steering! Heh I had to cut the video before doing anything too crazy because the front horns came off - oops.

DUSTY floor!! Makes for a cool effect.

Also the slipper is a BIT loose but I think I'll keep it there to help keep the temps down. SPEAKING of temps, this was the first time I felt warmth out of my MMP! It was WARM to the touch, not hot, but I only ran for a total of 5-6 minutes. Lots of gunning it though and lots of pushing 20lb dumbells around the floor.

What I love in this video is how you can see how "soft" the suspension is. It allows the body to roll, but doesn't BOUNCE it around, it's much more like one of those baja trucks with their incredibly slow rebound suspension, I love it!

So without further adieu:

RC Qualifier
    cant see the vid!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Champion
    Yeah sorry about that haha, I hit submit before it finished uploading! It's at 98% right now though only another minute or so, sorry =)

By the way, check this out:

Not sure who it is, but what a cool creation that one is!

Traxxas Summit 4x4x4 FPV Rover is nice but that may not be good at climbing and would flip down because that weight seems to be too heavy with many stuff on it. I like your stealthy Summit because of less heavy and able to climbing on the rocks and hills. I am sure of it.

RC Champion
    I doubt that 4x4x4 (not quite sure what that means yet either, unless there are 4, "wheels" in each track) could climb very well.

The issue with treads - especially on the Summit - is that they need to connect to arms, that connect to the center chassis, so you still bottom out, even though you have excellent traction.

I won't be able to climb very well, but with the added weight and lower stance I'll be able to handle driving much better than the stock Summit, as seen in my video above (play it at 50 or 25 percent speed) you can see how much travel the suspension has, I love it!

Today I got my lamacoid in - white surface with black core, to make my ground station! I broke a couple bits, but fortunately my order from over a week ago arrived within 5 minutes, how lucky is that!?

So one of the biggest issues with doing engraving is keeping the depth the same, ESPECIALLY when you're not using a straight bit, and instead using a 30, or 45° bit - the deeper you go, the fatter the text/cut gets! SO a quick an easy way I figured would be to put a board on TOP of my cutting board, and then run a big cutting bit back and forth and up and down while cutting to basically make it 100% PERFECTLY level!

Here's how it looked before:

This video shows how the board looked after being leveled, and then running the router across it to test that it is perfectly level! It's a HUGE pain to level the boards on these things, so I figured... why not just do it that way! Also shows a piece being engraved:

Here's how it looks while being cut:

And here's how precise/small I got it after a few hours of testing and playing around - notice the scalpel in the picture, it's slightly thicker than a pen, there to give reference to the size!

The last test was with the words, MIN and MAX at the top of the picture, clearest of all and perfectly straight which at that scale is very difficult. The engraving is only 0.0118 inches thick, it's about 0.3mm thick!

You sir,have some cool tools/toys!
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    this build thread is great. awesome work on this crazy FPV Summit.

RC Champion
    The coolest toys! Haha. ONCE they're working correctly that is. So many variables to a proper working 3D printer or CNC machine - though very similar machines!

Thanks Delta, I think I have a problem - "If I make it now, it won't be better! I need to make it better before I make it!"

I just found out that my 4WS computer doesn't like my gyro. If I apply power the gyro AND the 4WS computer screw each other up.

Looks like I may not be using the gyro for steering after all - not a great thing, but I'm pretty sure that option is out.

RC Champion
    I haven't shown many changes to the ground station recently, and I used to do that four or five times a day if I'm not mistaken! Heh, I've been working on a major overhaul for the past few days, making it less complex and easier to use (less chance of accidentally hitting the wrong thing when using it) and also completely removing the camera joystick and replacing it with a pan knob and tilt knob again like the original concept a couple years ago.

The zoom/focus Chrysler mirror adjust button I originally had has been scrapped too - although it would work just fine AND look quite good, I've decided not to go that complex way and just use a switch to zoom in or zoom out and a switch to focus near or focus far, and then a button for menu. BUT THEN I was taking up too much real estate on the panel with those five controls and a couple weeks ago bought a couple CCTV camera joystick controllers and spent an HOUR ripping one apart today, the new design incorporates this just fine:

In the new design you can also see the GYRO controls in the bottom left - not sure what's going to happen to the steering yet as I explained above, but for now . . .

RC Champion
    Since I can't get the darned GYRO to work with the steering computer, I've decided to scrap the idea. Not a HUGE problem but I sure would prefer to have a steering gyro present.

Ah well, in the spirit of uploading main changes to show progress . . .

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...psuwp7ht2r.jpg

Big changes =D

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I doubt that 4x4x4 (not quite sure what that means yet either, unless there are 4, "wheels" in each track) could climb very well.
    Yeah I know but I saw title says it all on Youtube. You double check the video title says "Traxxas Summit 4x4x4 FPV Rover" that you shared youtube video.

4x4x4 reminds me of modified 4x4x4 Clodbuster. That was awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Great control box design!! Some NASA quality rigth there They should bring this truck to Mars (Mars Summit Rover).
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Hahha NASA! Thanks michaelsjo!

I bought GTA V the other day to keep myself busy - 1080P 70FPS, looks so gorgeous on PC, had to buy an XBox controller though even though my steeringwheel (Logitech Driving Force GT "DFGT") works for the cars! ANYWAY two days off playing GTA V and I got back to this build today:

As usual, nice clean start:

It's, ACTUALLY, coming alive! Been SO LONG in the making:

This was just a test on some $1 card stock that I had, turns out the LID is 10.25" and the lid is 10.5", so this was .25" bigger than it should have been, so good thing I didn't use the lamacoid first!

Everything fits nicely, and it looks and feels so cool to "use" it as it is right now.

RC Champion

RC Champion
    More work on the ground station:

That was a successful test of the sizing/engraving for the top panel. I made a few changes, cut it out again - this time without the engraving, just to save time since I already knew it worked fine - and came up with this:

Been a long day, hopefully I'll get a shot of it powered up tomorrow =)

RC Champion
    I've waited until this point to come up with a name for the vehicle. I told myself, "I will wait until I make the last piece - the name plate - to come up with the name." It's been a lot of stress knowing the time was coming!

So here she is,

I threw together a list of every word I could think that relates to this build, the technology, the hobby etc... I settled on that acronym, and I quite love it!

The final addition to the design (which as anyone following this knows, has happened at least 45,000 times already!) was lighting:

Thanks for the encouragement and constant kind words everyone, without you guys I wouldn't be doing this! =)

Next up; WIRING
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-26-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast