RC Qualifier

TQi radio range problem.

Get my Summit yesterday afternoon, unbox it, charge batteries, etc. and take it out for a run. Seems to have half the transmitter range as either my Pede or Slash. Would lose signal, and walk towards truck some and it would regain the signal again. Any way to put an antenna on the transmitter or am I missing something that can be adjusted.? Any other suggestions.

Thanks
    Endeavoring to persevere !

Make sure the batteries are fully charged... in the Tx and the RC.

There is no way to add an antenna.

If you are having issues and it is new, it may be worth your time to call Traxxas.
    They have excellent customer support.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Batteries where the first thing I check Jimmie, recharged all of the them trucks and TX. Tried again and truck goes down over a rise (still can barley see it) and lose contact. Raise Tx up to shoulder height and contact is reestablished. Are these new TQi radio's line of sight only? If so might have to change an go back to old receiver and transmitter. Truck is one day old so next step will be to call Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    try to stick the antenna vertically
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    try to stick the antenna vertically
    What antenna? TQi Tx does not have an external antenna!

RC Champion
    TQi has incredible range, and has no visible antenna on the handheld. It's surface mounted:

You can see it on this picture here:

The radio is the silver box, and the antenna is the L shape on the right side of it. It's interesting that it works as well as it does, but I assume it's a fraction of the wavelength (look up how antennas work) and if anything this gives BETTER range regardless of how you hold it because now it's an X/Y axis antenna, instead of just one direction.

Eitherway the fact that you are losing connection line of sight sounds like a signal strength problem. My Spektrum DX3E loses sync as soon as it goes ..... behind ANYTHING it seems, it's a real pain. The TQi goes further than I can even see (I can't tell if I'm going fast or slow or if I'm beside something or 40 feet away from it) and has no issues with hills. Certainly should call Traxxas and see what they can do for you.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Krall that's the kind of reply I was hoping for. Understand antennas very well due to my MOS in USMC was communications. Will give Traxxas a call tomorrow, and see what they have to say.

Now with my Pede and Slash they are the same way can lose sight of them and not know which way I am going or how fast and figured the TQi should be as good if not better especially with the double axis antenna.

RC Qualifier
    I had a similar experience and I think it's just that the internal antenna is inferior to the external version. Case in point, I go to a marina by my house with all of my rigs. I will stand in a very particular spot because I can see the whole area from it, and drive down to where they launch the boats, across to some big rocks, and all the way over to a gravel area. I bound the TQi that came with my Summit because I prefer the feel of the controller. I didn't even make it 3/4 of the way to the launch area and lost signal. Brand new batteries, not a crappy day out, etc etc. Okay weird, walked halfway down and picked up signal again, came back. Turned everything off, pulled out the old 2.4ghz that came with my p2de and stood in the same spot. Batteries that I've been using for a good week or so, went all the way down to the launch and almost in the water, as far as I could see in every direction, and no signal loss at all. From what I can tell the TQi has maybe 3/4 or so the range of the external antenna 2.4ghz TX . That's just a guess as far as the ratio obviously. Your TX may be messed up, or your RX or something, but I believe it is an issue overall.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Interesting! When I got my TQi I was able to go over 200 yards with no issues at all other than not being able to feel where I was driving. The Spektrum I have had issues unless I had the remote up hight - this is through wire fencing, trees, and subtle hills. It would come in and out of sight, and was behind at least 3 wire fences, but the TQi had zero issues at all.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Interesting! When I got my TQi I was able to go over 200 yards with no issues at all other than not being able to feel where I was driving. The Spektrum I have had issues unless I had the remote up hight - this is through wire fencing, trees, and subtle hills. It would come in and out of sight, and was behind at least 3 wire fences, but the TQi had zero issues at all.
    I don't doubt it, there could have been some other factor I was unaware of. All I know is, I've driven my p2de so far I couldn't see it with the std 2.4ghz and I haven't lost signal once since I got it, ever. Well except when the batteries died, but that doesn't count
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas. There suggestion is to run the reviewer ant. threw the roof of the truck and see how the range is then. If not will have to send the TX and Rec. back in. He did make one statement tho that is real disapointing and that is typically get 100 to 150 yrds range, that is WAY less than the 2.4ghz radio. Might have to look into altering it back to the old radio and am not all that interested in all the telemetry that is available on the TQi.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas. There suggestion is to run the reviewer ant. threw the roof of the truck and see how the range is then. If not will have to send the TX and Rec. back in. He did make one statement tho that is real disapointing and that is typically get 100 to 150 yrds range, that is WAY less than the 2.4ghz radio. Might have to look into altering it back to the old radio and am not all that interested in all the telemetry that is available on the TQi.
    Keep us updated. I dont use sensors either. Have not gotten to a spot to use a long range, but once summer becomes permanent here, I will.

RC Qualifier
    No improvement with antenna threw the roof. Going to do some digging and if I can find a Tx/Rec. might not even fool with sending it back. Real pain to spend that kind of money and short range. Does not seem to matter terrain around 40-50 yrd line of sight or over a slight rise (still can see truck easy) lose signal. That to me just plain stinks for cost of these trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered me the older style Summit Tx/Rec. from RC Planet. From what Customer Service said I for one could not live with a max of 150 yrs (told me normal is 100-150 yrds), So why the order for the older radio system also not interested in all the Telemetry stuff on a crawler which is what mine will end up.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 05-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm stunned that's what they've said! Again 200 yards was no issue for me with rough terrain, trees and fences. I'm adding this again just to make sure people know that it's not impossible to get over 100 yards! My TQi is the most powerful radio I've used so far, better range than my AM one and Spektrum 2.4ghz one. Ah well, no real issues as now I'm using the older TQ anyway, and the TQi for pan & tilt and light controls heh. Sorry for your crappy distance though, but I am curious: If you're crawling mainly, why do you care for 150yards of range!?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    I'm stunned that's what they've said! Again 200 yards was no issue for me with rough terrain, trees and fences. I'm adding this again just to make sure people know that it's not impossible to get over 100 yards! My TQi is the most powerful radio I've used so far, better range than my AM one and Spektrum 2.4ghz one. Ah well, no real issues as now I'm using the older TQ anyway, and the TQi for pan & tilt and light controls heh. Sorry for your crappy distance though, but I am curious: If you're crawling mainly, why do you care for 150yards of range!?
    I see no need to be having to fallow your truck all over....but main reason is recovering from my 3rd spinal surgery. This time have a nice titanium rod in my back so nice to just sit and run it, or it is for me. Besides that the Summit is the most expensive one I have and for it to have half the range the other two do with the old 2.4ghz just stinks in my book. Old radio no interference, even when out of sight over a ridge or where ever....why going back to the old radio. Unless you want to buy the TQi or I can send it to you and you do all that fancy stuff you are doing to yours (without the camera).

RC Champion
    Hahah, no way I'm getting sick of working on this stuff!! No not really, but ... NO thanks. I agree with you, the range shouldn't be limited either way, and sorry about the rod in your back - hope for a good recovery! I too prefer to sit around and drive vs climb/walk/run around with mine, I have my own issues too haha!

Glad you've got another tx on order though!

I have just checked with a friend with the latest Summit regarding range. I have not seen his truck experience range issues. His report is that his range is perhaps 1000 feet.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I'm not sure what was misunderstood on your call. We use the TQi in the XO-1 100 MPH Super Car so 100 to 150 yards is obviously an impossible answer. Range with the TQi is about 1/4 mile, 400 yards or 1600 feet, give or take, depending on conditions, batteries etc... If that is what you are getting you will need to send the transmitter in for inspection.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Got my TQ radio yesterday, got it installed and WOW what a difference now can lose sight of truck and still have signal. Much better. Again was probably something wrong with my new TQi Tx or Rx but did not want to wait the time it would take to send both the Tx/Rx but probably will now sense truck is only 2 wks old and working correctly.
    Oh when I [received] the new unit one of the battery springs in the battery compartment of the Tx was missing...Traxxas needs to step up their quality control. Which is not uncommon with popular products.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-08-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spell-check error

RC poster
    I just purchased two slash 4x4 vxl setups. They both have TQ-i radios. One of the kits has a range of right at 100 yards. This is very consistent with new batteries or old batteries, freshly charged batteries in the truck or run down truck batteries. The other setup has a range that is much farther than I can use (just like all other high quality RC cars, trucks and airplanes I have owned.) There is clearly a problem with one of these setups, I’m not really interested in waiting for warranty service but I suppose there is no choice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    I just purchased two slash 4x4 vxl setups. They both have TQ-i radios. One of the kits has a range of right at 100 yards. This is very consistent with new batteries or old batteries, freshly charged batteries in the truck or run down truck batteries. The other setup has a range that is much farther than I can use (just like all other high quality RC cars, trucks and airplanes I have owned.) There is clearly a problem with one of these setups, I’m not really interested in waiting for warranty service but I suppose there is no choice.
    Yep you have an option besides warranty "IF" you do not want to wait ..... Traxxas TQ 5-Channel Micro 2.4GHz Receiver and what is in mine now. TH(Tower Hobbies) has them for 38.99. So make sure and get some other goodies so the shipping is worth it

Your solution is to buy a 2218 receiver? That's an improvement? What if the problem is in the transmitter?

I guess if you throw enough money at any problem it will eventually be fixed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Your solution is to buy a 2218 receiver? That's an improvement? What if the problem is in the transmitter?
    That be true, but was going by my own exuberance with my brand new one and the 2218X receiver solved the problem. Figure that was it due to the TQi Rx not having an external antenna. It worked for me, but again you have a good point.

Jimmie- That be true, spend enough money on a problem and eventually you will replace the faulty part.

RC poster
    Does anyone know if the TQ (Not TQ-i) transmitter can be bound with the receiver in the slash vxl truck? I've got a Boss 302 setup that uses a TQ radio and I have never had problems with it. If the radio cant be used, can the receiver and the radio be swapped (Boss 302 reciever goes in short range slash vxl and uses Boss 302 transmitter) to the slash vxl?

That be true, but was going by my own [experience] with my brand new one and the 2218X receiver solved the problem. Figure that was it due to the TQi Rx not having an external antenna. It worked for me, but again you have a good point.

Jimmie- That be true, spend enough money on a problem and eventually you will replace the faulty part.
    And have spares! (Unfortunately you still may not know what is good and what is bad.)
    It's a good news / bad news thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Does anyone know if the TQ (Not TQ-i) transmitter can be bound with the receiver in the slash vxl truck? I've got a Boss 302 setup that uses a TQ radio and I have never had problems with it. If the radio cant be used, can the receiver and the radio be swapped (Boss 302 receiver goes in short range slash vxl and uses Boss 302 transmitter) to the slash vxl?
    Just to be sure, please specify the Tx and Rx you are using. You state TQ. That is AM. Then there's the TQ 2.4 (original gray 2.4GHz Tx & 2217 Rx) and the TQ Link (black Tx w/ multi-function knob) radios that come in many different varieties and flavors, all of which use the 2218 or 2218X Rx.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.

RC poster
    I swapped the radio and receiver between the slash and the boss (both are 2.4 GHz setups), got long range on the vxl and short range on the boss. A compromise for the time being.

If you have two TQ Link systems, they should cross-bind, allowing you to mix and match to find the troublesome component.

RC poster
    Both systems are of the type that link (or bind) between a radio and a transmitter and are 2.4GHz. Now that I've swapped the systems I might do some troubleshooting to see which part is really broken. Thanks for the help.

RC poster
    I am having the same range issues with my Slash VXL. TQi system, bought it slightly used, so it is out of warranty. It has a range of maybe 75 feet.

RC Qualifier
    there is major issues with some tqi and it might be once u update it thru the ipad or ipod etc etc
    i updated mine before testing it

i bought a new tqi with 5 channeel rx and got about 20 or so metres so i guess thats close to 75 feet
    i bought all the sensors too

i decided to try my old black 2.4 tq tx and still got 75 feet range
    but i did break the antenna wire on the old tq rx and resoldered it properly
    so i didnt want to refit that but might have to to do a process of illimination to see if rx is problem

so with new tqi rx and trying both tqi and tq tx i got poor range
    so i ordered a new 5 chan rx to see if this helps
    otherwise ill refit old tq rx and tq tx to see if i get my range back to how it was before i send it back for testing
    the only good thing is i can resell the sensors as they are hard to find so i might say u need to buy the tqi tx too hehehe
    Last edited by sideshow; 09-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.

RC poster
    I have 2 slash ultimate..one is brandnew while the other is 2nd hand. When I bought the 2nd hand, there's no problem at all.
    Range problem only occurs after a wet run. First i thought the problem is in the RX so i tried to dry it up to no avail. When I tried to use the TX of my brandnew slash to my 2nd hand slash, voila it all goes back to normal, range is good. I conclude that there's something wrong with the TX of my 2nd hand slash since it goes fine when I use the other TX. Now I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the TX of my 2nd hand slash. When I opened it and checked it seems in good condition.

RC Champion
    hmm i have got the tqi reciver(6518) and have it up with the tq link transmitter and can drive till i can see
    so it fine to me in one way but the other thing is that the servo thats hooked up to it like to heat up and when i got it with in the same week the potentiometer fried on the tx ?

so i gota say this thing is the like the luke of the draw. like this one type of muscle car that the motors put out more hp than they were rated for but one wasnt the same hp as the other
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC poster
    I'm having a problem with my TQ controller. It's a working very great in steering and throttle control. But the main problem is signal. I can't drive the truck 5 feet without it loosing signal. I have the antenna from the receiver sticking three the body but still looses signal. Anyone have any ideas that could fix this?

RC poster
    I'm having a problem with my TQ controller. It's a working very great in steering and throttle control. But the main problem is signal. I can't drive the truck 5 feet without it loosing signal. I have the antenna from the receiver sticking through the body but still looses signal. Anyone have any ideas that could fix this?

RC poster
    I just purchased a new tqi 2.4ghz and installed it. My car goes 20 yards and loses signal completely. On a parking lot.