RC Racer

Good entry level RC for my kids????

Picked up a t-maxx 3.3 earlier this week. Never owned anything like this before and assumed my 8yo would be ok with it under my supervision. (boy was i wrong). It doesnt help that my 3yo wants to drive too.

Anyways... could anyone recommend a good entry level rc for the 2 of them to bash on that would be pretty tough as they are kids and will crash it. Definately want to go electric on this one, but they have slower, 40.00-80.00 walmart rc's and lost interest because they are slow and battery life is very poor.

looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

RC poster
    I would suggest a used emaxx. Most of the parts swap to a Tmaxx, so as you are fixing your sons Emaxx you can learn more about your Tmaxx. also parts are easy to come by. The EVX-2 ESC also has a training mode 50% power. This may help you and your son learn how to handle it.

As for the 3yo. Not sure if I would go there just yet.

My Erevo seems to really take hard hits, My 11yo daughters 3906 Emaxx breaks if you sneeze on it. So avoid an older Emaxx.

RC Champion
    You need a Traxxas stampede, rustler, or bandit!
    They are basically the toughest and the easiest to use trucks that traxxas makes.
    An emaxx would NOT be good for little kids because it breaks very easily if you crash it.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    You need a Traxxas stampede, rustler, or bandit!
    They are basically the toughest and the easiest to use trucks that traxxas makes.
    An emaxx would NOT be good for little kids because it breaks very easily if you crash it.
    x2, I have an EMBE, love it now, but I've put an extra $500 into it to get it that way. My 7 y.o. son hasn't been able to destroy beyond a $10 a arm replacement on either the Monster Jam 2wd Grave Digger he had or the Stampede 4x4 VXL I turned into a Grave Digger for him. The 4x4 VXL pede is a sweet setup. Doesn't get stuck easily, seems to be really built solid, goes pretty fast on a Traxxas 7.4 2s Lipo, with about 45minute run times with the 5800mah's. I don't let him touch my EMBE, too expensive for my son, right now. I know eventually I'll let him have my truck.
    FLM EMBE P4de "Digger" Slash MT Backsl4sh Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd also be concerned about the weight of an EMaxx. Having driven into my own foot/leg once or twice it's a big solid lump and could quite easily injure a child. Also if the truck was to hit something, it can do a lot of damage. Maxx's are big boy's toys!

On the plus side, the larger wheels and tyres, and the fact it has great ground cleanance means it won't get stuck so it will be more fun. If they are driving in wide open spaces then they shouldn't break anything.

I agree with EmaxxChris, a Monster Jam 2wd for the 3yr old and Pede 4x4 for the 8 yr old.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Champion
    Yes and an emaxx will hurt very much if you hit yourself or somebody else with it. Very heavy.
    heck, I knocked myself over once with my RUSTLER, and an emaxx is twice the size and weight.

Don't forget about the 1/16 scales. My 3yr old drives my 1/16 revo vxl in training mode. She's getting a 1/16 grave digger on saturday for her b-day. I drove it on ni-mh in training mode and it only goes like 10-12mph it seems like

RC Champion
    I would get a slash 4x4, pede 4x4 myself. Started my kids out with 2wd pedes and they handled them better than I thought.They learn rather quickly with practice. I upgraded them last year to pede 4x4's and it was a great improvement. They are 7,9 and 13.

2wd pedes and Rustlers are great too. You can always pick up used as well.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    These Brush-less RCs are relatively powerful, and care MUST be taken when small children around.
    I have a mini summit for my 3 yr-old son and a mini e-revo in training for my 5 yr-old daughter.

Since my boy is still too young, I set the mini summit in the slowest possible: Training mode + Tranny-Flip + largest-Spur-Smallest-Pinion + home-made soft front/rear bumpers

RC Competitor
    I personally bought the Rustler as my 1st Hobby Grade RC. I loved it. I let my nephew drive it (He was 5 at the time) and he seemed to handle it pretty well...

If I recall correctly it had a Speed Gems 13t Motor in it....
    Pretty quick for back then.

RC Qualifier
    Bandit. Rolls the least, weighs very little. Damage control. Trust me.

For box-stock vehicles, I'd say Rustler, Slash (2wd), Stampede. It doesn't much matter the order, but this is why I list them this way:
    Rustler - fastest, decent on and off-road, hard to flip
    Slash - fast, narrow tires can be be a liability, most durable due to body and bumpers
    Stampede - highest so most prone to rollovers yet has best ground clearance, simplest

Given a large enough area, children can run the vast majority of Traxxas vehicles under close adult supervision. Five-year-olds have driven my Summit, Slash 4x4, Stampede, and Rustler.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Whatever you get, I would strongly suggest to go with brushless because if you are like me when I had my first RC(old rusty Xl-5) you will probably waste lots of money burning out brushed motors. As soon as I upgraded my Rusty to BL, i had no motor problems at all. I will never buy another brushed truck again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    For box-stock vehicles, I'd say Rustler, Slash (2wd), Stampede. It doesn't much matter the order, but this is why I list them this way:
    Rustler - fastest, decent on and off-road, hard to flip
    Slash - fast, narrow tires can be be a liability, most durable due to body and bumpers
    Stampede - highest so most prone to rollovers yet has best ground clearance, simplest

Given a large enough area, children can run the vast majority of Traxxas vehicles under close adult supervision. Five-year-olds have driven my Summit, Slash 4x4, Stampede, and Rustler.
    well put agreed 100% but i have never owned a slash. And if you can the vxl whatever you do go with IMO, brushed will cost you more in the long run as said above.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

Whatever vehicle you choose, rest assured that your kids will break it. With that in mind maybe a simpler vehicle, like those that KSB listed, would be a better fit for your kids use. The Stampede, Rustler, and Slash are all pretty durable vehicles, but are MUCH easier to fix and maintain than a Maxx is. If your kids are concerned with downtime, or their vehicles not running, maybe you should consider one of these since they are so easy to wrench on, and therefore won't be out of commission for long. All of these will be fast enough to keep your kids entertained, and with the right batteries they'll run long enough too. They will certainly be happier with any of these than they will be with a Wal-Mart RC.
    99%er

RC Champion
    My emaxx just broke AGAIN, just so you know.
    Get a slash or a rustler. And make sure its brushless. If its too fast just put it on training mode.

Stampede!!!
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Stampede or Rustler. I personally prefer the Rustler, since it handles a little better and has bellcrank steering, but Stampede's seem to be more popular with kids, and there's only $30 of parts difference between the two.
    Rusty, Pede, Bandit, E-MAXX 3906, MERV

RC Racer
    my first rc was the tamiya hornet. had to build it from scratch. loved that car. then i moved up to the nitro rustler man that was awsome

RC Racer
    Get a brushless r/c and put it on training mode.My first car was my Slash 2wd, and that was 2008-2009 When I was maybe 10-ish. Start with something small maybe a Fiesta MERV, or 1/16 Slash. Should be small enough to avoid any damage to people if they are run into. My ERBE will BREAK LEGS. Keep your kids away from an ERBE or an E-Maxx(or my dad for that matter, but thats a different story)
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Champion
    I'm going to have to go with most and say a Slash or something along the 1/16 scale. Slash's seem nearly indestructible.

When I first read the suggestion about getting a brushless system my reaction was like WHOA... an 8 yo with a brushless, thats crazy!! But I thought about it and I can see the payoff. If the child sticks with it, thats just one thing you won't have to upgrade to later on. Also with NiMH batteries and ESC set in training mode a brushless motor should be pretty tame.

RC Racer
    Get a 1/16 e revo. Shim the diffs out of the box (look on the 1:16 fourm), and buy a t bone full skid/bumper set up. I have that combo and have hit mail boxes at full throttle(30mph) and it bounces. As they break stuff replace it with upgrades. The people on the fourm are good at recommending upgrades.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post
    I'd also be concerned about the weight of an EMaxx. Having driven into my own foot/leg once or twice it's a big solid lump and could quite easily injure a child. Also if the truck was to hit something, it can do a lot of damage. Maxx's are big boy's toys!

On the plus side, the larger wheels and tyres, and the fact it has great ground cleanance means it won't get stuck so it will be more fun. If they are driving in wide open spaces then they shouldn't break anything.

I agree with EmaxxChris, a Monster Jam 2wd for the 3yr old and Pede 4x4 for the 8 yr old.
    man i dont know to comparison of a summit to a e maxx but i was doing full throtle runs and would drive twords my self and hammer on the breaks stoping about a foot away that was fine and all till i went a little bit faster not seeing the overlap in the pavement ahead and hammered right on the breaks as the rear skid hit the overlap cuaseing the summit to flid to head level thank god it t missed me by a foot or 2 and a car lol

i would definantly chose a stampede/monster jam for them nice truck almost indastructible around me sept for the ocasional crash/landing that snaps the front tire back just bends the castor block pins but all in all if you get a stampede you should get proline tranchers they are a nice tire to have