RC Racer

first run(s) with the 540

Tried out the 540 today on 2S and 3S parallel. I used sedan tires and wow what a blast especially the 3S (well of course ). Gearing was 31/50 (both 2S & 3S), motor is a 6100kv.

I tried out the 2.2 proline road tires and it handled way way better. The grip was too good though, it was hard not to flip, partly because I didn't re-adjust the suspension. Holding off on using the prolines until the beetle body comes in.

On 2S the motor was slightly above ambient temperature, ESC was a little cooler.

On 3S the motor would get warm. Lots of braking would heat up the motor, but accelerating / speed wouldn't.

Mind you this is 1/10 sedan tires so...

I imagine with the prolines it will get quite a bit hotter. Like normal "hot".

The ride height picture is without the parallel batteries. With them in the front stays the same while the back drops a bit. Seemed to be a great combination for the sedan tires.

Oh and stock servo crapped out a couple days ago. So I got a HS-82. It is an acceptable replacement. The trade off seems to be more durability for less effectiveness. Why on earth would traxxas not offer metal gears for their 2080 servo?

Installing the servo required some chassis trimming. I almost cut off the servo wires on the chassis installing it. opps

Running it with a broken chassis! The from part of the chassis broke along with the front bulkhead sometime ago. Have since replaced the bulkhead and learned that the front part if the chassis that covers the differential doesn't strengthen the front end, but seems to merely be a cover & mounting place for the front bumper.

said differently, When the front (or rear) chassis breaks, the bulkhead broke first. Unless somebody has broke the chassis but not the bulkheads.

Where the chassis broke off there still is some chassis covering the "arms" of the front differential. I guess those "arms" along with the shocks/dampers provide the strength up front.

After a number of cart wheels, included a rather acrobatic one that broke the stock server, still the front bulkhead + broken front chassis held up.

Very happy with the set up, including the sedan tires. If I had used the 2.2 prolines I probably would have been headed to the lhs, instead of charging up the packs for another go.
    Last edited by nitsuj; 05-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.

RC Champion
    That esc is crammed in there! Maybe consider swittching it to the RX side of the chassis because that side of the chassis has more room!

RC Racer
    Yea I should do that. The body would fit on it much better too Im sure. Thanks for the tip.

RC Qualifier
    looks superB

except forthe rubberbands -> not much of a fan with glue , rubberband , tyrap things

please work on that master

your merv is to much crazy modded to do rubberband stuff

no offence and my respct on this build

the HR mount looks insa too BTW !!!! let me know how it hold up the power

!!! BTW !!! we would love to see a running vis on this one
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Champion
    You also have a ton of wire you can eliminate.

RC Racer
    lol, I suppose I'm asking for "it" when posting a picture. I thought things like the 5.5 turn & and totally chewed up tires ride height, and other things related to how it runs/drives ect would be more interesting.

I put the RC together to drive it , not enter a Remote Control Car Toy beauty contest.

Plus, you didn't even mention the quality of the rubber band It's not one of those low quality post office synthetic rubber varieties. That rubber band is the real deal! It holds the precious electronics together in a tangled mess of electromagnetic fury.

Anyways, to your point, this is a temp' set up. I got the 540 & mount in the mail first. No way I'm just gunna have that gear sitting in the box, I had to try it out.

Got a beetle body in the mail. Once it's painted & mounted I will know what I'm working with as far as getting it ready for it's first beauty pageant. errr, trimming wires & mounting esc I mean.

Oh on a side note, I may have to change out the Traxxas plugs Grrrr, there too big! It's not bad with one battery, but two plus the Y connector and it gets to be a bit much. The appearance would get a lot of, ...critiques.

I suppose even from a mechanical perspective, having the esc right up against the motor is not a good idea, at temps pushing 150f it's probably remarkable bad, unless one is measuring the temperature at that location of the motor.

Despite the wires only being a few inches to long (a little under a ton) and of 12g, the extra wire is no help for running efficiency, regardless if the effect is nil.

As far as the HR mount I'd say it's great! I picked up the 550 traxxas version gear covers and the fit is perfect for that too.

Can't really say much about durability yet since I have only ran sedan tires with it so far. I have flipped/cartwheeled it a few times and it hasn't bent or anything.
    Last edited by nitsuj; 05-06-2012 at 09:09 PM.

RC Champion
    Try out routing your battery wires to the front. And my esc is against my motor and i havent had any problems with the setup yet. It all runs pretty cool!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by korn0307 View Post
    Try out routing your battery wires to the front. And my esc is against my motor and i havent had any problems with the setup yet. It all runs pretty cool!
    Now that's a clean set up. Those escs look like the perfect size for that side. And it looks like all your wires are the perfect length too. Do you find the traxxas connectors a little to big for 1/16?

Oh yea, and look closely at the 4th and 5th pics above. Saw it in a thread here. It almost has to be done with traxxas connectors + Y connector & the revo body.
    Last edited by nitsuj; 05-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.

RC Racer
    After running it with 31/50 gearing & 1/10 sedan tires and the esc/motor staying warm, thought I'd try the 45spur.

on 2s the motor/esc were a bit below "normal" temps.

with 3s... I couldn't manage to get it to full speed (not enough room) & even with "normal" throtle use it would get pretty hot. I think it would be do-able once the beetle body gets here and esc can be placed away from the motor; air flow. It was still controllable.

This is the worst tire (right rear) after 6 "runs" on parallel 2 & 3s. The other rear is about to tear, the two front are good for another two runs maybe. I should rotate my tires more lol

Last edited by nitsuj; 05-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.

RC Champion
    The TRX connectors are on the large side. But you can make them work up front. I have more problems with the balance plugs coming from out of under the shell lol.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
    you can have even less wire mess
    Wow, that makes mine look like a rat's nest made out of wires

RC Champion
    Tekin motors look awesome! I wish i could afford a tekin motor for their looks lol

RC Qualifier
    Hey hey nothing is wrong with a little beauty every now and then! It's the poor mans upgrades! I haven't even began looking into motor and esc upgrades yet! I am waiting on the perfect science from you guys first before I go breaking the bank lol... Awesome mods though, I can't wait to see some vids as well then I'll be sold on the upgrade! But yea speaking on motors what is the current biggest and baddest set up for the Merv right now?
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do you ride on road only or do you off road where handling is a concern?

RC Champion
    There is no biggest and baddest setup. Its all personal preference! Are you looking for a ton of torque, high speed, or all round driving conditions?

RC Qualifier
    I want it to be quick on the street 40-50mph, and brutal off road (handle jumps, mud, and sand) there's no circuit here for the 1/16 scale so outside of entertaining myself and you guys with videos not much else really matters I.e. goin 80mph lol

RC Enthusiast
    Fantastic....

RC Qualifier
    that one is the cheapest and weakest actually.
    for baddest setup go for their newest Pro4 or 550-size SC4X at least
    [img]*************************/t/IMG20187.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG10149.jpg[/img]
    [img]*************************/t/IMG15345.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG15369.jpg[/img]

and as for the biggest... well, how about this?
    [img]*************************/t/IMG20491.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG20487.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG20490.jpg[/img]

actually i've never tried that T8 on mini, but on it's big brother it's plain insane!
    (have a lots of pics and vids, but have not upload them yet...)
    this is why i always look at your projects and you tube vids
    i like the way you did take it from stock (the movie on that square) and later with the ducktape shell

you work at a hobby shop ?????? if i am correct

nice to meet and see you master

BTW! that T8 how insane PFFFFFFFFFFFF you can put wings on that and fly i think
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossie View Post
    you work at a hobby shop ?????? if i am correct
    no, just trying to run my own (small, local, nothing special)
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Qualifier
    ahhhh okee !!!!! still big respect all over master
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
    Wow this is really, really nice!!!!
    you should check out that site of him then
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    that one is the cheapest and weakest actually.
    for baddest setup go for their newest Pro4 or 550-size SC4X at least
    [img]*************************/t/IMG20187.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG10149.jpg[/img]
    [img]*************************/t/IMG15345.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG15369.jpg[/img]

and as for the biggest... well, how about this?
    [img]*************************/t/IMG20491.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG20487.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG20490.jpg[/img]

actually i've never tried that T8 on mini, but on it's big brother it's plain insane!
    (have a lots of pics and vids, but have not upload them yet...)
    Could u drop a link to a vid running the sc4x or the pro4?

RC Qualifier
    sc4x
    35/43 gearing, 2s 2450mah 60c boost ****, center diff with 300k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSBMSgyQGw

the same with 14/55 gearing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2LNEz9ivg

onboard video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyCS5rRSCM

pro4 vids later somehow. i got 3300kv for crawling and 4600kv for outdoor

RC Qualifier
    Is that vides with a brushed motor?

RC Qualifier
    what brushed motor are you talking about?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i believe that was a question? brushed or brushless

RC Qualifier
    Ha ha yea it was.. Wonder if a 550 will fit on the merv

RC Qualifier
    Hey Evgen do you have any running vids of the PRo4 in action?

RC Qualifier
    pro4 vids later somehow
    . .

RC Qualifier
    lol.. sorry about that!~

RC Qualifier
    Evgen what wheels are those with the summit tires? BTW sweeeeeeeeeet merv!

RC Racer
    Wow very nice job on the Merv.

Looks more like an Art Museum piece than something I'd let flip end over end at 50mph ending with a 100 foot slide on it's back.

With that said, I like RC art!

RC Qualifier
    Okay. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    One question "Evegen"

Beautiful rc car. That should be in a museum!

The question, what camera you made the photo? Brand and model? It's excelent quality! Congrats!
    Share the brand and ref of the camera

RC Qualifier
    no, that's just will be a slow indoor crawler. not for 50mph, jumps or crashes
    for that i'll make different e-revo

not the camera is making good pics. light and photoshop - that's the main keys
    as for the camera, it's an old canon 400d and 16-35L lens

RC Qualifier
    not the camera is making good pics. light and photoshop - that's the main keys
    as for the camera, it's an old canon 400d and 16-35L lens
    Me thinks you are being very modest. I believe the photo taker also has a lot to do with it!!!