RC Enthusiast

Did I just kill my son's e-Revo?

I put two 1600 mAH betteries in with a series connector. The thing went like stink for about 10 seconds then I told him to stop so I could record him. The truck wouldn't go. Weird. Pull the body off and the light was off and it won't turn back on. It's dead.

I thought it was OK to run two batteries like this?
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    Son's: Rustler XL-5, EREVO VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Maybe. Some seem to handle it better than others. Is it under warranty? Any lights on the receiver?

RC Enthusiast
    Would warranty cover that?

And no lights. Nothing.

feelsbadman.jpg
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nickle or lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not two lipos nickle maybe. Still hard on it though

RC Enthusiast
    NMH batteries.

Well since the truck is built with two battery bays and Traxxas makes the series connector I would have assumed the car could handle it.

It's brand new and it only ran for about 10 seconds.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Definitely under warranty bummer on a long weekend. Did you buy it local maybe they can do a swap

RC Enthusiast
    Just took it up to the LHS. The battery they sold me this morning had a faulty lead. It was the last oen they had so they couldn't do a swap. The guy soldered it back on for me and said if I have any issues to come back Thursday and they will swap me a new one.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

its a vxl e revo right? series is hard on the vxl setup its maxing out the voltage thats why and when they are fully charged its higher than 14.4v total it can handle i know my nimh's are higher than that when fully peaked charged. disconnect the servo from the rx, mine did that same thing that other day you really cant see the light lite but it is barely so once disconnecting the servo it will light back up if its the servo. what i did is i plugged a rx pack into the rx with the servo and servo worked fine so far right now, hope this is the case with yours.
    Living life.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that's great news i wouldn't run series but when you want to make some power move up to lipos .you will never look back!

RC Enthusiast
    OK, something is definitely wrong wiht that batteryt because the lead melted off again. I'll be taking it back.

Ran the car for a while longer this time and mand that thign is just stupid fast. He managed to dislocate the rear drive axle on one side. Is it possible to pop it back in? The metal ball join with the pin came apart from the plastic shaft.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yep should just pop back in

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thats with on nimh ? stick with that for a while and get use to the power then lipos down the road !

once the yoke pops out once it will continue to pop out again and again unless you replace the shalf, mine did that because i ran on series and put alot of strain on the shalfs doing that. replace and it will not happen again unless you run series again.
    Living life.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    mine held up fine after popping it back in but they are so cheap and you need to return your battery anyway so might as well pick one up

RC Racer
    Run lipo in parallel way better than stock nimh. 2s is great! 3s would be silly. My spc 2s batteries will flip it no problems.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i put my 3 cell in my friends stocker geared 25/50 with the lower bracket disconnected on the traxxas wheelie bar so during a wheelie it rides real high .it would pull a wheelie for over 200 ft!

Running in series is only for short runs on flat, smooth surfaces... states this right in the manual.

Also, the stock servo is known to fry more easily when running in series... so if you have weird electrical issues, unplug the servo -even if it is still working- to see if the issues go away.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.