RC Qualifier

How to sell a summit (not a for sale thread)?

I have a summit, sort of. It has a summit chassis, summit tranny, summit, diffs, LT rockers, Ti coated shocks, summit body, summit bumpers/lights.

The non-summit things are: 14mm wheels w/ large tires, 14mm metal hexes, revo driveshafts, revo suspenion arms (I think), 150a brushless esc, 1/8 truggy sensored motor, 3 channel 2.4ghz traxxas radio, and the lockers and tranny are custom configured to work off of one channel. So when it shifts into low it locks the diffs; non-stock behavior but I prefer it.

Shipping a Summit has got be expensive so how have some of you that have sold/bought a used one dealt w/ it? Do you send it in multiple boxes, take it apart, etc? I have two extra sets of wheels/tires that'll take up a large box on their own. I also have a bunch of extra parts that'll go with it. So shipping is a concern.

Aside from shipping, you can see I have a bit of a non-stock summit parts on it. Is it even worth selling it w/ the motor/esc when you upgrade to brushless? Or is it best to just keep the electronics?

When you have a bunch of non-stock parts on it or modify it, does it go way down in value?

I'm not selling my Summit right now but the thought of HOW TO SELL IT has? Once a summit owner are one for life?

Thanks for the input.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Generally speaking you simply want to get it in the smallest box possible. Unfortunately with a summit thats not very small. Especially if you have extra tires and wheels. You can usually go on your postal website and get some estimates on shipping (just use a zip code from somewhere across the country). You can play around with one big box and/or multiple smaller boxes and see whats the cheapest option.

In your case, it might be better if you sold it without the motor/ESC... you wont get someone paying alot more for a brushless summit and, to be honest, most people will be leery of a summit that has had a brushless system in it as it will have suffered more abuse than a brushed version (drivetrain, diffs etc). Also, the driveshafts are a minus. I know id snap a set of revo shafts in a second with the way I drive my summit. But, you simply need to take that into consideration when you sell it.

I think you best bet would be to remove the power system and radio and sell it as a roller with servos. Add in the extra wheels/tires if you want. Ive got 5 sets of 1/8 truck wheels/tires I've been trying to sell for a reasonable price elsewhere and no one wants to pay a decent dollar for them so you may not get any more selling THOSE separate anyway.

Upgrades don't lower the value of a truck but most often they don't raise it either. I would say custom modifications can be a negative in most cases. Unless they are really well thought of and well done mods people don't want to pay good money for a truck thats been hacked up to perform the way YOU want it to. But, bolt on upgrades are no big deal as you havent changed anything permanent. Especially if your including the stock parts...

The most important factor of selling a truck like this is GOOD QUALITY PICS. Make sure the truck is CLEAN... I mean SUPER mint. Take well lit pics with a good camera and take lots of them from all angles. No one wants to buy a dirty truck they can only see in a few crappy cell phone pics.

Pavmentsurfer nailed it. Remember, take your time to clean it, because there is no thing as ''too clean'' only ''too dirty''
    My Summit summits.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tips. It really is the shipping that makes selling a summit prohibitive. I've sold several rc's and it would probably cost no less than $30 to ship. Also, the summit is an All Time One of a Kind RC. For what little you get for used rc's, it's probably not worth selling.

RC Qualifier
    i shipped a 1/10 summit from Indiana to Delaware via USPS and it was only 25. (summit, 4 batts, charger, some small extras)... it'll mainly depend on the time frame you choose to ship it, insurance, etc... iirc, it couldve been lower...??