Thread: new or used?

new or used?

well im thinking about getting me an electric rc when i have the extra funds. probably a mini e-revo brushless but open to other options still. but should i look for a used one or just get a new one to be on the safe side of not having any problems at all?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    The more I see, people want darn near what you can get new rc's for if the rig is in good shape, so why not get new? Any that are cheap enough to be a good deal look pretty tore up or the picture is grainy to hide the condition. I think Towers got like $25 off any $200+ order, and they have that easy pay thing which pretty much splits it into 3 payments with no interest or fees or anything. Just like 1:1 cars, used is a crapshoot, and the merv is cheap enough stock that saving $30 or 40 really isn't worth the risk to me. Rollers and such maybe, so you can pick and choose your parts, but idk.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    new fo sho.
    -Nitro Rustler 2.5 w/ Jato tuned Resonator

It really all depends on condition or what parts are on the used RC, some look after there vehicles and have great hop up parts on, some just bash it and buy parts that are of poor quality.If buying used I would buy new batteries.

Buying a new RC doesn't mean you won't have problems. On paper you shouldn't have problems, in reality parts break. shiny and new is nice, Being on the shelf because something has broke is not nice.

If someone you know is selling and you know how they treat it then used is good. use the money saved to buy new batteries.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

yeah all valid points. i would rather spend the extra little at first so that i dont get a junk ride lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I would say new. I think there is a used one on the market place right now with all the right upgrades for a pretty good deal.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    most of the time i only go new. but i recently bought a used merv for 180.00 on ebay. even though it needed a new chassy, lower a-arm. and most of the screws retightened, or replaced. i think it was a good deal. ive already spent most of the afternoon yeasterday rebuilding it, and i only have to order the lower front a-arm. i already had the chassy. some deals you cant let go.

but if i was a new rc guy. new is the only way to go.

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV03649.mp4
    Last edited by ajcar; 06-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.

RC Champion
    Definitely buy new unless you have actually looked at the car in person. Even if you do look at it in person, sometimes used still isn't worth the risk. I bought my savage used, and when I got it the engine had lots of compression and ran great.
    Then a few days later I was driving it and the crankshaft snapped. used rc's are extremely decieving.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"