RC Champion

Had a little leak today

I finally decided to get out and run the villain today with a friend who also ran a few boats. I installed new trim tabs and quickly found out they were not set correctly. I had a moderate chine walk and the front end wasn't getting out of the water enough either. Turns out the boat was filling up with water so it was slowing it down just enough to keep the front down. After trying to trouble shoot the leak at the lake I gave up and brought it home. Turns out the leak was a slight crack in on of the water tubes that was cut near the right motor. Luckily the electronics didn't get wet, but there was quite a bit of water inside. The other villain ran very well and with the turn fins that he installed it made a huge difference in the way it handled. I know my next mod... He also ran a velineon powered aqua craft 26 that was a blast to drive.. so fast it skips across the water.. a real white knuckle ride..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    Apparently I spoke to soon about the Pro boat.. (not aqua craft) .. My friend took it out for a little spin yesterday and seems to have hit a "bird" or something like that in the water at speed.. According to him, the boat went down in about 50 feet of water with all hands aboard.. Sorry, no video... He wasn't in the mood I guess.. This little boat would top off in the mid 40's so it was going pretty good... R.I.P. Allans boat........

RC Qualifier
    Man i would go diving and get it. That vxl is water proof.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    A little update.. The bird was a duck and he didn't see it till it was too late.. for all you animal lovers out there, the duck flew away. The hatch was ejected from the boat as it flipped in the water. The Lipo battery took out the floatation foam and it went to the bottom of the lake.. The water is very cloudy and no way to see 2 feet in front of your face.. I got this last part 2nd hand.. He thought the whole thing was hysterical.. I believe it.. We run our cars that way too.. The harder the crashes, the funnier they are.. He didn't have that much invested in this boat and from what I just found out a new faster replacement was already on its way..

RC Competitor
    Believe it or not, having your boat sink is better then having your boat kill the duck lol. Ive killed probobly 4-5 with my big boats.

RC Champion
    I guess so.. The owner of the boat is an animal lover, at least dogs and small fuzzy things... not even sure if he hit the bird or tried to turn away and flipped it. I didn't see it happen.

RC Enthusiast
    nice one cenracer.. i should have the faster replacement you mentioned this week. i went to kenville and picked up some a pair of 420 nimh to test it with... im running low on batteries, so cheap is in order.. lol

RC Champion
    Don't worry about the Batteries.. I have a bunch of 50c lipo's that will really get her going.. just don't sink it with my batteries in it..I use them in the Slash..... Can't wait to see the new boat run, but honestly wishI was there to see the other one sink.. I would still be on the ground laughing.. You should be thankful my wife wasn't there... she will push you till you do crash.. I don't let her watch me run anything.. "Is that as fast as it goes" and then when something goes wrong I get.. "now why did you do that" Love her but she will drive me crazy. By the way.. she may watch us run cars tomorrow night.. I promise to keep her quiet.

RC Enthusiast
    let her talk.. ill just ram somebody. to be honest, im a little scared to run lipo in the new one. im a little scared to run the new one at all. it should make tims before the maiden voyage. if not ill just put a video up on fbook.

RC Champion
    Chicken...LOL... get the trims set and let it fly... I want to be there this time with video rolling... should be one for the books... As for the wife... Maybe I'll let her drive one this time.. Maybe yours.. LOL

RC Enthusiast
    sea trials today on the sinkers replacement... as long as the lake isn't terribly rough. ive noticed in videos they tend to submarine.. lol

RC Champion
    Should be a good day to run.. I looked at the lake this morning and it looked like glass where we run... hope you brought the camera! Let me know how it went..

RC Enthusiast
    no camera girl.. she was busy doing something else somewhere else
    the formula ran well though. not quite as fast as i thought, but fast for what it is i guess. really stable, little wishy washy in the turns. rides really wet. needs a lot of tuning.

RC Champion
    you will get there.. maybe we can run sunday.. I need to get the Villain out again and torture the lipo's again.. I have a lot of tuning to do on mine as well.. I will bring the camera..

RC Champion
    A couple of sundays late.. better late than never.. finally got to run the Villain with the new hardware and it went pretty well.. No leaks and definitely faster. Need to work on the trim tabs as the chine walking was kind of annoying at higher speeds.. overall happy with the results.. One other thing I have to fix is the water cooling. The motors were pretty hot, but nothing shut off so it was within tolerances. Zero_1's brushless boat was great.. Reminds me of a rock skipping across the water. Easily into the 40's but the water was very choppy with the wind and the Jet Ski's buzzing us. No video or pictures either. It was raining and very overcast and the boats don't care, but the cell phones weren't in the mood for a bath. Zero_1's camera girl was also out doing something more important.. LOL
    Last edited by cenracer1; 07-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.