RC poster

"Overheatd" battery and hot motor in stock 4x4

Looking for help. I'm running a stock 4x4 on a stock Nimh battery and I have cooked one battery (split the outer case) and just ran it again on the street with some loose gravel and the battery is hotter than you want to hold and the motor is hotter than you want to touch.

This is the first 4x4 I've owned but the gear whine is pretty loud compared to the 2x4 stampede we own. I set the pinion as per the directions with the slip of paper.

Any suggestions.

I just replaced the ESC and motor on on a waranty repair so I feel confident it's not those parts.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    You should set the slipper to whine for about 6 feet or so. It takes some trial and error. Maybe stat with 1/2 turn out. Which pinion are running?

RC poster
    I'm running the stock 11tooth pinion.

RC Racer
    I don't want to hijack this thread. I think i have my slipper so tight I don't think it slips much. I never thought about loosening the nut to give it some slip. Does it make it easier to transition from gas-brake, and cornering throttle control?

RC poster
    I did adjust the slipper. It was tight with no slip at all. I'll run a battery through it later to see if it gets the heat under control and let you know if that works, otherwise it will be down to the 9tooth pinion.

RC Qualifier
    This stock motor heats up pretty fast, I just ran mine for the first time today (just bought used), tried a 6 cell nimh, 2cell lipo, and 3 cell lipo, all of them great fun (not so much the nimh) I did run the nimh through grass and sand though and it still took longer to heat up than the 3s.

the guy said the gearing is 13/54, definitely need a 9t for messing around, anything higher I would say is unecessary. This thing is scary on 3s I almost smoked a kid of his bike, lol we both had our "omg" faces on !
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC poster
    Ok so I adjusted the slipper and ran a stock battery through it. Still pretty hot. After 10 sec you need to put it down.
    I'll go to the 9tooth gear I guess.
    Strange thing is the motor isn't hot. Warm but no issues holding a finger on it at all.