Thread: X0-1 Tires

RC Competitor

X0-1 Tires

Has anyone else tried any other tires other than the BSR foams. Ive had my xo1 2 days now and have alredy killed one tire. Looking for somthing that will be good for all round driving. Im thinking a low profile solid rubber tire would be perfect. Is there anything out there like that.

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem on my stock tires. A few wipe-outs and I had flat spots which ended up leading to a blow out. The XO-1 stock tires are belted whereas the other ones (non slicks) out there are non-belted. So for speeds up to around 60-70mph you will be ok... but if you plan on going 100mph you may run into trouble.

Search around on the forum/google for XO1 tires... I have seen a few options out there for radial designs but the bottom line was that the XO1's are the only belted ones available that can actually withstand speeds of 100mph. Don't use the OFNA foams either... they will tear apart after 70mph.

edit:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...5-xo-1-wheels&
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 07-05-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Competitor
    Mine are tearing from spinning out. They start to tear off the rim and up the sidewall it goes. Im going to search around.

RC Racer
    Losi XXT truggy wheels and proline badlands work extremely well when fitted well up to around 80mph on any surface, lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1millzee?feature=mhum

RC Competitor
    I saw your video. I know now you were not joking....Awesome.
    Ive looked all over havent had any luck finding anything else to try. Had to order up a set of rears from my lhs. Just going to have to take it a little more easy this time. Hope my erbe gets here soon to help get ghe bashing out of my system.

RC Competitor
    Ive found a company that makes a number of different 1/8 scale foam rubber tires for asphalt however none of the tires have sizes listed. I asked and am waiting on an answer. Are 1/8 scale racing tires a standard size maybe?

RC poster
    My XO-1 blew a tire in my driveway on day one! Sent my receipt and pics to Traxxas and got no reply. I've heard they will send me a new tire... eventually. Great. I still damaged my flawless body and now don't trust the other 3 tires to even take this car to 50mph without destroying it. Am I stuck with XO-1 tires as my only option? (Bought an xmaxx the same week and the stearing servo stripped a gear. $2400 to decorate the wall of my garage. Wasn't disappointed in Traxxas until I bought their top two vehicles and BOTH went down on the first day. Bummer.)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looking for something that will be good for all round driving.
    I have both the Xmaxx and the XO-1, and (IMO) they both are great/fun vehicles to have. For my XO-1, though, if you want "good all round driving tires" you want the XO's stock Traxxas tires. The reason? Because they work the best for the XO-1. The secret for using them for "parking lot playing" is to make your tracks either a "figure 8" or lay out a track to have the same number (and types) of turns for using both sides of your XO-1 equally. If you do that, and if you don't peel out all the time; your stock tires will give you approximately 40 hours of running time.

Something else...there is a way you can keep track of the wear of your tires. The way I keep track of the wear of my tires is by measuring their circumferences. Take a measure tape and measure around a new tire. Then measure around the tire when it is worn out.

I did a post on this a while ago with the exact measurement of a "NEW" and almost "SPENT" tire. Unfortunately, I'm not at home, so I can't get those figures for you all right now, but I think it's like 9 9/16's and 9 5/16's. And at 9 3/16's you're belts are showing. Later on (if you guys want) I'll look at my notes in my secret book, and tell you all (for sure) the exact numbers.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-12-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Boy, my memory stinks. The circumference of a new XO-1 tire is 13 9/16's and when it's time to change them is when the circumference goes down to 13 3/16's. If you keep an eye on the circumference of your XO-1 tires you should be able to minimize most failure surprises.

RC Enthusiast
    gone banana racing skins makes foamed xo1 rims that are really good.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    P.S. Another thing you can do to get more out of your tires (besides using figure eight tracks and not peeling out) is to minimize your drifting around turns and spin outs. Sliding around turns and spin outs eats up tires fast, so try to remember that sometimes you have to go slower to go faster. It's just like real racing; if a racer over drives his tires, that means more pit stops than normal which looses races.

Also, after a run when you take the body off, if you see a lot of fine black dust you know your eating up your tires, and you need to adjust your driving style. I just ran my XO yesterday for six, one hour runs and had hardly any black dust. I didn't think about it at the time, but I should of taken a picture to give others an idea of what to shoot for.

One last thing, yesterday was my first OX run of this new season. Over the winter I changed my gearing from 46/14 to 54/17. I changed it, because I wanted the same gear ratio, but wanted more space between my motor and driveshaft. My reason for doing this was to keep my driveshaft from getting all tore up by rocks getting jammed between my motor and drive shaft. A nice side result of doing this was I notice that my XO-1 wasn't nearly as twitchy, and was easier to handle. My top speed was about the same (slightly less), but it was now easier for me to get there, and to keep my car driving smooth in and out of turns.

Anyway, you might want to give it a try. If you do your new telemetry gear ratio will need to be changed from 2.846 to 2.747. Be aware that the formula in the XO-1's owner's manual is wrong when compared to what you need for you telemetry to work right. If you want to use it, use this corrected formula instead:

Spur/pinion x .865 = Telemetry Drive Ratio Gear 1 & 2

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-27-2017 at 05:39 AM.