Thread: Biggest Pinion?

RC Qualifier

Biggest Pinion?

whats the biggest pinion i can put on a e-revo with a 1/10th motor mod?

i am not worried about temps i just want speed. it is a 4200 kv motor with a sidewinder esc on 2s. will be upgrading to 5700 kv on 2s eventually (when i get the cash) but i want to know the fastest gearing i can get with my current motor/esc?

thank you travis
    revo 2.5 with a picco .26max

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure, but why don't you run 3s?
    ERBE, MERV BB

I think 34T on a 45T spur is possible.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I think 34T on a 45T spur is possible.
    my vision without doubt my Master above :-)

i think that with your 4200kv with sv2 and 2s you should run 31T/50t

with the new mod later on : the 5700kv and a better esc you can run 35t/45t but make sure you do that on 3s
    also make sure your wheels then are not to big or you will heat the little one up!
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC poster
    I know you say your not worried about temps and just doing a couple of speed runs but as a base
    line gear for 160 degrees. This is the "sweet spot" for brushless motors. Once you have this base
    gear combo, jump up 3 to 4 teeth on your pinon and you should be ok for speed runs, not extended
    running. If you are up in the 180 degree range you are fast approching the "danger" zone!
    My 5700kv castle is stated to be ok for 200 degrees but that varies with the brand of motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossie View Post
    my vision without doubt my Master above :-)

i think that with your 4200kv with sv2 and 2s you should run 31T/50t

with the new mod later on : the 5700kv and a better esc you can run 35t/45t but make sure you do that on 3s
    also make sure your wheels then are not to big or you will heat the little one up!
    I'm running 31/45 4600kv mmp. Am I good?
    ERBE, MERV BB

RC Champion
    The biggest pinion that will fit into the stock mount is a 37t with a 45t spur.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    The biggest pinion that will fit into the stock mount is a 37t with a 45t spur.
    that build up a lot of heat

even with 35T/45t on foams from fasttrax i must give it a rest now and then to prevent to much heat

i think 37t would get you insane specially on a 5700kv motor but HEAT HEAT HEAT
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Champion

even with 35T/45t on foams from fasttrax i must give it a rest now and then to prevent to much heat

You would definitely have to keep an eye on the temps but it does fit, barely, you only end up with about 1mm of clearance. My friend was running his last night with the stock VXL motor/esc with 37/45 gearing and was getting 60 MPH with 4-TEC tires/rims. His motor and esc were both 140-ish degrees after 10 minutes with an ambient temperature of 79 degrees.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    the motor i am looking at only allows 2s and i have blew up 3 3s batteries fromm different brands but might try another one. does the center diff help or hurt top speed?
    revo 2.5 with a picco .26max

RC Qualifier
    You would definitely have to keep an eye on the temps but it does fit, barely, you only end up with about 1mm of clearance. My friend was running his last night with the stock VXL motor/esc with 37/45 gearing and was getting 60 MPH with 4-TEC tires/rims. His motor and esc were both 140-ish degrees after 10 minutes with an ambient temperature of 79 degrees.
    Have you got a link for the 4-Tec wheels?
    Merv: Neu, MMP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by travisamorgan View Post
    the motor i am looking at only allows 2s and i have blew up 3 3s batteries fromm different brands but might try another one. does the center diff help or hurt top speed?
    center diff will decrease top speed with 10 to 20%
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chilidillo View Post
    Have you got a link for the 4-Tec wheels?
    Just search for Traxxas 4873, you can usually find them for a good price on ebay. They do tend to be a little slick until they wear in a little but they last a very long time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

even with 35T/45t ons from fasttrax i must give it a rest now and then to prevent to much heat

I ran 35/45 on my neu, multiple speed runs -the fan on the mmp didn't even turn on and the motor was only 110 degrees
    Last edited by 50togo; 07-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    on 2s or 3s ?????????
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On 3 cell fastest run 65 but full throttle only for 1 second before running out of room. most runs taking off easy. Lowered and foams front end would still come up if I hit too hard too early
    Last edited by 50togo; 07-18-2012 at 10:06 AM.

RC Champion
    With my MERV running the MMP (I remove the fan since they tend to fail quite often which then traps in heat) and the NEU 1110 1Y motor geared 29/45 I'm getting 60MPH with stock tires and 55MPH with 4-TEC tires with temps of 90-100 degrees for the motor and ESC after several runs with 3S. Once I get my 37t pinion back I'll see what I can get for speeds and temps.

RC Qualifier
    let me know what runs and speed you get with a 37T pinion

BTW ! i did see 63 mph with 35T/45T on MMP with 4600KV castle and fasttrax foams and speed was clocked with my old Iphone which is not the best test to do speedruns check.

at 50 were i run my speedruns tou dont run out of room but they closec that road for a few weeks now
    also its raining of and on here and when its dry there are deep puddles everywere and i hate water and so does my not waterproof merv.

i must wait untill next week , i did see on tv thats its gonna be sunny overhere next week so gonna do a lot of speedrunning and fooling around.

Xtreme has no limiits

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a Robinson racing aluminum pro 37 but need to dremal out the motor mount and find a better road for speed runs. Found one road but no parking have to park a mile away

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With my MERV running the MMP (I remove the fan since they tend to fail quite often which then traps in heat) and the NEU 1110 1Y motor geared 29/45 I'm getting 60MPH with stock tires and 55MPH with 4-TEC tires with temps of 90-100 degrees for the motor and ESC after several runs with 3S. Once I get my 37t pinion back I'll see what I can get for speeds and temps.
    hey airmaxx have you checked your motor kv with the castle link? i did it last night and my motor spins 5058kv
    i have ran 53.3 with a 2 cell on dirt hawgs

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    hey airmaxx have you checked your motor kv with the castle link? i did it last night and my motor spins 5058kv
    i have ran 53.3 with a 2 cell on dirt hawgs
    Mine is 4978kv.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 07-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    little more kv then rated will never hurt! as long as you are aware of it and don't over gear

RC Qualifier
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Champion
    little more kv then rated will never hurt! as long as you are aware of it and don't over gear
    I'll be trying the 37/45 gearing sometime in the next few days. I keep a very close eye on my temps, I'm constantly checking them just to be safe.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
    did you run this 43T Evgen ????????
    i am asking this caus i know you did al lot of setups the last 2 years

and if there is someone who gets my respect then its you on the merv mods
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    yes, but not on this pro4 motor yet

i did run it with my previous tekin sc4x 550-size motor (4800kv)
    here's the video with 43/35 gearing, center diff (300k)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSBMSgyQGw
    as you can see it's pretty fast... and that's only 2s
    imagine 3s, 4s...
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'll be trying the 37/45 gearing sometime in the next few days. I keep a very close eye on my temps, I'm constantly checking them just to be safe.
    that will be with 3 cell? With a 2 cell after 50 is like hitting a wall of air
    Easy to get up to 50 hard to go over 55

RC Champion
    that will be with 3 cell? With a 2 cell after 50 is like hitting a wall of air
    Easy to get up to 50 hard to go over 55
    It will be with 3S, it hits 60MPH easily with 29/45 gearing so I'm curious to see how 37/45 works out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are your stock tires taped? If not the ballooning will help the gearing.
    I have ran faster on my dirt hawgs than my speed hawgs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are your stock tires taped? If not the ballooning will help the gearing.
    I have ran faster on my dirt hawgs than my speed hawgs

RC Qualifier
    for fast going and SUPERB speed forget the boring stock ones and get FOAMS

the stock tires suck for speed
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It will be with 3S, it hits 60MPH easily with 29/45 gearing so I'm curious to see how 37/45 works out.
    how do you measure your speed?
    I use a Garmin forerunner 101