RC Competitor

Help spend my money!

I've had my Emaxx 3903 for a few months now, I love the truck, but i'm really itchin' for some upgrades. I already know i'm going to get the RPM skids, it's just a no brainer.
    I generally don't get upgraded parts till the stock ones break, so stuff like the RPM arms/shock tower are on hold.
    I do plan on getting the 2-speed conversion sometime in the future, but it seems not many people run it, is there a reason why? Along side the 2-speed I would be putting thicker diff fluid, for more of a limited slip diff...yes I treat my truck like a crawler :wacko.
    Does the wheelie bar stand up well against bashing?
    I was pondering new springs since the stockers are kinda weaksauce, but then again I like soft suspension Maybe i'll just put some spacers in the rears so it doesn't bottom out from accelerating. Are the white Traxxas progressives good in this manner?

RC Racer
    spend some dollars or spend some cents ? You're set with the cents, want real upgrades grab some UE spider 8 diffs a flm or classic g-4 chassis, some 1/8th buggy rear shocks and some flm or ue towers

RC Champion
    I use spacers and the traxxas progressive springs and they are working well. I do hear that the wheelie bars can brake, but they are soo easy to take off you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't had a problem with mine breaking when i bash.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    I have had wheelie bars break but for the most part they hold up and are the best ones for the maxx adjustability and functionality wise. What about some new tires or body? Proline has a good selection of both. As for the 2 speed I have it in my truck, I had the wide ratio in it but I never used it. Now I ave the close ratio and I've only used it for mudding or when I have my plow on the truck in the winter. Progressivves should work better than stock I think, I run 1/8 buggy shocks but that was like $80. VG racing makes some good springs imo but they are very stiff. If you do get new tires get 17mm wheels and get the 17mm hubs as well
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Competitor
    New tires/rims does sound good, some pro-line Big Joes or Trenchers maybe. Whats the benefit of going to a 17mm hub/wheel? Seems like whenever I read about people converting their maxx to 17mm they have to add spacers and whatnot to help with wheel wobble.
    I should get another set of batteries, 3hrs between run times is no fun.

RC Champion
    17mm hex have more surface area that makes contact with the wheel. Which in turn adds more durability. I have a DeWalt motor with LiPo batteries. I broke a 17mm wheel and ripped a tire a while back. So while I was waiting to get some tires I put the old 14mm stock set up back on. The first time I got the truck a little stuck and goosed the throttle to free it, I spun the 14mm hex inside the wheel.

Traxxas 17mm hex's have a lot of slop in them. There are all kinds of mods that folks have posted to try to eliminate the slop. Likewise, there are loads aftermarket 17mm hex adapters you can put on. There is a German company that makes an adapter that a few guys swear by. I can't think of the name right now, I think Popoxx is using them on his Maxx.

As far as mods go to reduce the slop, here is the one that is working out well for me.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-17mm-adapters

Just remember though, you won't eliminate the slop, just reduce it. Because after you take up some slop at the point where the wheel connects to the axle, you have two bearing that will have some play in them.

RC Champion
    What are your running right now for batteries?
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Champion
    2 each 2S 5800mah 40c-80c LiPo

RC Competitor
    I'm running the stock 7c 3000mah batteries.
    I'm strongly considering the Big Joes, their just mean looking. Any recommendations on rims? Or is the Pre-mounted fine? Perhaps a beadlocked rim so I don't have to glue/buy rims for future tire combinations? I've never had problems with stripping hubs (I don't lock my slipper clutch for reasons like this) so for ease i'd probably want to stick with a 14mm.

RC Champion
    can't stick with 14mm if you get big joes unless you can find a rim thats a 14mm hex that works on them.
    You are going to have heat issues with the big joes
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    A lot of companies are moving towards 17mm hex. If you get some 17 mm adapters you'll open up more wheel options you can use. Plus, it's not a permanent change so you can alway go back to 14mm if need be.

If you go with Big Joes, I highly recommend that you change your pinion gear or your going to get those motors hot.

RC Competitor
    Yea i'd definatly be dropping a few teeth on the pinions, and I think I found a set of 4 Big Joes for $35, used but in great condition.

YOu will strip your 14mm hexs. They are made of soft metal that wears and they strip easily even with stock power and lose clutch.

Big joes are heavier so you are going to want 17mm. I use maximizer because they are like $4 a set and are a really tight fit. Even though they are plastic.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Racer
    I have the Trenchers on the Proline Tech 5. One thing i recommend though, when you upgrade to 17mm adapters depending on what brand you get(I have the Traxxas adapters) i recommend getting a 17 mm socket and ratchet to keep handy.

Also as far as chargers go, get some money up and get a Duratrax dual charger they run about $120 at most Hobbytown stores.