RC Racer

EVX-2 in emaxx isn't Lipo ready???

So it seems they make the EVX-2 with LVD but the EVX-2 that the emaxx comes with doesn't have LVD???

This is my conclusion am I correct? If I am correct, well, that stinks.

RC Qualifier
    The older version of the EVX did not. Only the one in the newer emaxx has it. Mine is the 3905 and does not. I just bought a LVA. This beeps when the voltage gets low.

RC Racer
    Oh, so then I will be able to use 2S Lipos with the new emaxx 3903?

And the 2S lipos are ok to use with the brushed titan motors?
    Last edited by msquad; 07-16-2012 at 10:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If its the 3903 yes. Mine is the older 3905 and the EVX in that did not have LiPo cut off.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    If its the 3903 yes. Mine is the older 3905 and the EVX in that did not have LiPo cut off.
    Yes, 3903. Thanks for your help. Truck should be here tomorrow after work.

RC Champion
    You just ordered the 3903 to run lipos?!?!?!
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    Well if he wants it t be waterproof....
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Racer
    Yes I want waterproof. Only 4S vs. 6S though. I don't need to go 60 MPH, just want something I can run in the water/winter, there are many ponds in my hood where they freeze in the winter. So I'm thinking it would be fun on the pond in the winter. Not only that in the future I can upgrade to 2 BL VXLs if I want then run 6S instead of 4S.

And yes I know, I'll be replacing parts I break. I had a tmaxx about 13 years ago. Just getting back into this. My son has a XO-1 and an e-revo.

RC Champion
    Not all 3903's have the new EVX-2 with LVD. I bought my 3903 in October 2011 and it has the non LVD ESC. I think the trucks made after Jan 2012 should be good. Just check the ESC to be sure, if it has LVD it will say on it. If not, pick yourself up a LVA and still rock your 2S LiPo's
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-16-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correction

RC Enthusiast
    I actually own the 2012 emaxx TQi with LVD I just got it last week and I have a question though I was looking to get some cheap lipos I found some Gens Ace 5300MAH 2S 30C hardcase lipos they seem pretty good and im strongly considering getting them but.... I'm wondering how well the stock titan motors can hold up to the 2S lipos, I dont have a doubt that my ESC can handle them but It's the motors I'm worried about. Can anyone help me out??

RC Qualifier
    The motors will probably get a little warmer as you'll get a longer sustained run time from the Lipo's.

RC Champion
    Make sure your gearing is right for the bigger tires and you'll be fine.

Guys remember... Stock NiMH's combined are 16.8 volts. The ESC is rated at 16.8 volts. 2 each of 2S LiPo's combined is only 14.4 volts.

I don't know the cool science behind LiPo batteries. But however they are made it will produce a more efficient power transfer and supplies that power much longer and consistent.

The noticeable effects will be more power and run time. Not to much speed increase, at least for me. Greater speeds came in to play when I changed up gears.

I'd reccomend nothing lowr than a 30c LiPo.

Get you a good temp gun and watch the temps of the LiPo, ESC and motors. Take it easy for the first bit of your run to see how everything is holding up. Be ready to change your gearing for larger tires.

fully charged lipos 2s x2 will be 16.8v and i've seen more speed over the stock nimh cells in all the trucks i've had before even on same gearing as it provided that power greater and longer as stated compared to the nimh cells dieing out after the first 5mins. take a look at the gensace 2s 5000 50-100c hardcase lipo couple $ above 30 well worth it and gives plenty of amps for brushed systems and even for brushless systems. those might be the ones i get i really wouldnt pay shipping fee's for the china one's at a higher Mah rating.
    Living life.

RC Champion
    True that the 2S will take 8.4 volts, but I prefer to speak of what the manufacture rates them at. Either way, 2S LiPo's won't over volt the ESC.

Come to think of it, I didn't start running my LiPos until after I installed my DeWalt. That's probably why I didn't gain any overall speed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    Make sure your gearing is right for the bigger tires and you'll be fine.

Guys remember... Stock NiMH's combined are 16.8 volts. The ESC is rated at 16.8 volts. 2 each of 2S LiPo's combined is only 14.4 volts.

I don't know the cool science behind LiPo batteries. But however they are made it will produce a more efficient power transfer and supplies that power much longer and consistent.

The noticeable effects will be more power and run time. Not to much speed increase, at least for me. Greater speeds came in to play when I changed up gears.

I'd reccomend nothing lowr than a 30c LiPo.

Get you a good temp gun and watch the temps of the LiPo, ESC and motors. Take it easy for the first bit of your run to see how everything is holding up. Be ready to change your gearing for larger tires.
    Any accurately rated LiPo pack that is 5000mAh or bigger and 20C or more would be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Am running two mis-matched 5000mah LiPo's 20c (30c burst)...great fun! Love the emaxx. Slow as a dog compared to the speed of the brushless pede but just as satisfying and better on rough terrain. :-)

True that the 2S will take 8.4 volts, but I prefer to speak of what the manufacture rates them at. Either way, 2S LiPo's won't over volt the ESC.
    7.4 volts (nominal) or 8.4 volts (maximum): they're the same.

Guys remember... Stock NiMH's combined are 16.8 volts ... 2 each of 2S LiPo's combined is only 14.4 volts.
    Not exactly correct on either account. Those may be the NOMINAL voltages, but maximum voltages are higher.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Champion
    I'm not saying they won't hold higher voltage. I was just using what the manufacture/vendor says they are rated at.

My real 1:1 truck will tow 10,450 pounds. I'm sure that's nominal as it will pull much higher, but it is rated at 10,450.

The M24 sniper rifle has a max effective range of 800 meter but thats nominal because I've seen guys hit further accurately. But Sniper are school taught that the rifles MER is 800 meters.

1" Schedule 40 PVC pipe has an operating PSI of 270, that would be a nominal rating as it's burst rating is 1440 PSI.

I have to disagree with you on nominal and maximum being the same.

Webster says:
    Nominal (adjective)
    : of, relating to, or being a noun or a word or expression taking a noun construction
    a : of, relating to, or constituting a name
    b : bearing the name of a person
    a : existing or being something in name or form only <nominal head of his party>
    b : of, being, or relating to a designated or theoretical size that may vary from the actual : approximate <the pipe's nominal size>
    c : trifling, insignificant <his involvement was nominal> <charged only nominal rent>
    of a rate of interest
    a : equal to the annual rate of simple interest that would obtain if interest were not compounded when in fact it is compounded and paid for periods of less than a year
    b : equal to the percentage by which a repaid loan exceeds the principal borrowed with no adjustment made for inflation
    : being according to plan : satisfactory <everything was nominal during the launch>

Maximum (noun)

a : the greatest quantity or value attainable or attained
    b : the period of highest, greatest, or utmost development
    : an upper limit allowed (as by a legal authority) or allowable (as by the circumstances of a particular case)
    : the largest of a set of numbers; specifically : the largest value assumed by a real-valued continuous function defined on a closed interval.

Back to what the OP is asking…

Yes, both versions of the EVX-2 can handle LiPo's, either two each 2S or one 3S. Maybe one 4S but I think that would be pushing it. If you have a EVX-2 that does not have the built in LVD all you need is a LVA or LVC.

Thanks for the dictionary. We do not disagree on the nominal/maximum definitions. I'm sure you could see that if you read my post past the part where I said you weren't correct, which seems to have really stuck in your craw, though it should not have. My intention was to point out that you are talking about the same 2S pack when describing it as 7.4 volts versus another person describing it as 8.4 volts. Again, 7.4 is not a rating. It's a description. Ask anybody what a 2S pack is "rated" for and you won't hear 7.4 volts. You should get 8.4 volts, ±<1%. The 8.4 volts of the 2S LiPo is the normal condition. Is this true of your examples? It seems to me they are all over the map regarding their "ratings."

If/when you use a speed calculator, do you use 3.7v/cell as the preferred pack voltage? You'd be the only one. If you run your packs @ 3.7V/cell, I'm willing to bet that satisfaction with both performance and run time will be lacking.

Please be careful about suggesting 3S or 4S packs be plugged into the EVX-2 without the rest of the proper instructions.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °