Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some People's Children... (kind of long)

I've been in RC a few years, and I am used to kids, mainly 7 - 10 y/o's, coming up to me and asking questions about my trucks. They usually start by asking how fast it is, how much it costs, and then they get to the heart of the matter, can they drive it. In most cases, the answer is no. If it is a friends kid and it is one of my slower trucks, or a kid that I know can drive, then I turn the controller over. I am not terribly worried about breakage, I've never had a kid purposefully crash one of my trucks; and, that is why I have hobby-grade trucks, so I can fix them if something goes wrong. Mainly I'm worried about an inexperienced driver hurting someone or danaging property. With that, here is today's tale...

Today I installed a set of sway bars into my Slash 4x4 MT, I installed a CC SVT 3800 kit two weeks ago and really needed some more stability. I took it out front, but my neighbor's golden was out there, so I took it to the street behind my house. Just as I was completing a couple of speed passes and liking what I was seeing, one of my neighbor's came home with their kids, they have a 10, 8, 7 and 5 y/o... yeah, busy people... Anyways, the 8 y/o started chasing after my truck like a dog, I have actually had this happen before. I turned the truck around and started rolling on the throttle and the kid decided he was going to play chicken with my truck, nothing new here either, I eased up, rolled passed at about 10mph, then gunned it once the truck was passed him.

I brought the truck back to me and was running it through a ditch to get air, the horde was upon me, and again, standing right in the path of my truck, time to pack it in. As I was slowly looping the truck around to point it towards my garage, I was keeping an eye on three of the kids dancing around my truck to make sure I didn't hit them, at 5mph I was more worried about my truck then the kids. Suddenly my DX3R was yanked out of my hands, I looked down and the 7 y/o was pulling my radio towards him, the only thing keeping me in contact with my radio was my neck-strap. I pulled my radio back and the kid looked up at me and said, "IT'S MY TURN!".

I was flabbergasted, and just stood there, all 6'4" of me looking down at this 4' kid. I must have had a pretty intence look on my face, because the 10y/o grabbed his little brother by the arm and led him back to their house without a word.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I have seen little kids try to pick up RCs before, but never have I had my radio snatched out of my hands...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    This seems to be quite an issue for a lot of people on this forum. I don't have very many kids in my neighborhood, if any, but I have had my share of them before. First off, I have found it is easier just telling the kid how it is. The flat out answer is NO. You can not run it. ( Now go away ). I don't mean to sound harsh to the kids but nothing else seems to work, be about my luck the kid would jump in front of my truck while it is going pretty fast. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Could you imagine an XO-1 vs. kids. Exactly.

In your case, That sounds ridiculous. You would think kids parents would teach the kid some respect. Although, If you really don't wanna have problems you could just go talk to the parents. Tell them that the truck goes fast, and that there is a danger of the kid getting hit or something. Most of all I would tell the parents what lil' Chuckie did. Unless his parents are the kind that don't care what the kid does. Then your kinda outta luck.
    Last edited by MaxxxxaM; 07-22-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Spell Check

RC Champion
    You should go talk too the parents...
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

My friends kids have (had) a bad habit of actually goosing the throttle while the controller was in other peoples hands.

Well... I think I should start out that I have known this family for quite some time and have watched them numerous times. They know that my punishment system: you are asked once, told the second time, and then there are repercussions. The first stage is usually just a hand swat, but depending on the severity of the "crime" it could escalate faster. The second stage is a time out... a silent 5 minute -you better think of what you just did- time out. The third is a spanking... and trust me, the spanking is more terrifying/embarrassing than painful.

And they no longer have this bad habit... at least when I am around.
    If that child did that to me he would have received a time out... immediately.

What if you did not have that neck strap and he drove your RC right into another kids ankle at full bore... possibly breaking it?? Somehow, YOU would be responsible... not the irresponsible parent of the unruly child.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    My friends kids have (had) a bad habit of actually goosing the throttle while the controller was in other peoples hands.

Well... I think I should start out that I have known this family for quite some time and have watched them numerous times. They know that my punishment system: you are asked once, told the second time, and then there are repercussions. The first stage is usually just a hand swat, but depending on the severity of the "crime" it could escalate faster. The second stage is a time out... a silent 5 minute -you better think of what you just did- time out. The third is a spanking... and trust me, the spanking is more terrifying/embarrassing than painful.

And they no longer have this bad habit... at least when I am around.
    If that child did that to me he would have received a time out... immediately.

What if you did not have that neck strap and he drove your RC right into another kids ankle at full bore... possibly breaking it?? Somehow, YOU would be responsible... not the irresponsible parent of the unruly child.
    Now jimmie doesn't screw around!
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

Not when people -especially kids- can get seriously hurt.
    Some of these RC's have SERIOUS speed... and can really hurt anyone they mow down in the wrong hands.
    And since most kids cannot tell the difference between a fast one and a "slow" one... the same rules apply to ALL my RC's. No exceptions.

Shoot... there are even repercussions for asking to drive it too often... just ask my buddies 11 year old. lol
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 07-22-2012 at 11:04 PM.

RC Champion
    Now thats a man lol.

Remind me never to ask you to drive your summit

I bet these kids where all like this at first then they were like lol
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

Sorry... but my theory...
    If you won't parent your child... I will.

When I was growing up... if I was out of line ANY adult had the right to set me straight. Most of the time it was simply a command... informing me right from wrong. And usually that was enough... and still usually is today. It is not often that I have to do anything beyond simple instruction for any child that is around me.

Now, if there is not anyone around and the kids have been respectful, I will let them drive my RC's. Many know this... and respect that... it is amazing how fast "dude, I drove that guy's RC!!" spreads. lol

But I will say this... thank you Traxxas for having 50% mode!!

Yes I've experienced the grabbing of Tx out of my hands. Luckily I was driving an electric model so I had been able to turn the Tx off prior since I had an inkling that the Tx swiping could happen. I left that area immediately after.

As far as putting your hands on other peoples' children...whether you knew the family or not it's not a great idea. Where I live it probably wouldn't lead to you ending up dead but you would likely end up with an assault charge.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I had thought about talking to the parents, but then I decided it would likely do no good, and might cause bad blood. The simple answer is to stop running the truck when I see those kids.

If I knew these people, I would likely say something, but the only real contact we have had is a neighborly wave in passing. We have never actual spoke. Perhaps I am overly cautious, be if those were my kids, and a neighbor that I really didn't know was running a RC truck that caputed my kids' attention, I would stay out side to keep an eye on them, but the parents went inside almost immediately, leaving the brood to their own devices.

I have had parents that would not let their child approach me before talking to me, and then they would hang around while I ran my truck. To me, that says a lot about a parent; and in the times we live in, its good to be distrusting where your children are concerned.

As far as telling the kid "no", the kid didn't even ask, just grabbed...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I can agree with that some what but definitely only to a point. When it goes beyond being verbal and you actually put hands on someone's kid....well you are asking for big trouble in my eyes.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Lol one spanking is all it takes and they wont touch it again lol
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I'm kind of worried about this when I finally get moved (& find all my RC stuff), because the family right across the alley has four kids and others playing there all the time. They are ALWAYS outside. They are very respectful and a very nice family. The mom stays home and keeps a pretty good eye on them. While they might not ask to run them (though I'm sure they will), I never really cared to run in front of a great crowd anyways. We don't have any kids for a reason; just never wanted the responsibility or felt the need to have any. My wife feels even more strongly about this than I do. Hopefully it won't be a problem. Lots of kids in my old neighborhood, but never had one problem at all. On another note, I did see a road car running around down the street the other day. We were just done signing papers and had to go, so I didn't get to investigate, but I will......
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

I usually have no problem letting kids borrow my Rc. Only if they are polite and listen what I tell them to do. If they don't follow my direction I simply take my controller back. I always put the power down to 50% before letting them drive it. Now this kid at my track is simply amazing with my rc trucks...yet is terrible with his buggy lol.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    I try & avoid kids, animals etc when I have an RC on the ground. I do however let the local kids drive one of my slow cars on occassions so they crash & smash the thing into everything. Lets them understand that there is some skill involved

My own kids have their own RC's so don't often get their hands on my toys. They can do what they like with their own as long as they're safe & not causing intentional damage to the RC or other peoples property

I've had dogs chase & bite my RC's though - even encouraged by their owners! after the first bite, I'm happy to return a few playful 'nips' so dog & owner think twice. Also been intentionally run over by a 1:1 car which is delightful, not sure I'll get the chance to return that favour though!

RC Qualifier
    i am a kid myself (at the age of 14) yet my parents raised us the "old fashioned way", you give lip, you get the belt, you dont do what you are told, you get the belt. i was taught that if you are given something without work, you will not carefor it, therefore we work and our parents kick in a lil cash to show appreciation and gratitude, it just breaks me when some people say "the new generation will run this world into the ground..." this upsets me because some of the teenagers and kids of this time make such a bad impression that no matter what any other decent child does, they will think of the that one slacker that coasts off of his/hers parents success (aka not getting a job, still lives with their parents, depends on their parent for everything), and dont get me wrong, i completely understand what people mean, but there are those of us that DO work hard, that do appreciate having and gaining knowledge from attending school, and contributes to society in a good way. I understand your frustration when kids just say "you should let me drive" repetedly, but some times you have to work past that and politely say "im sorry, but there is alot at risk if i let you take the wheel, after all these remote control cars are suprisingly expensive, and if something breaks, someone has to pay for it, and i dont think you would want to buy replacement parts, in that case i think it would be better for us both if i drive", with a statement like this it does allow the child to learn something

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The thing that surprises me (and disappoints me) the most about this is that a family with that many kids, all the way down to age 4, just lets them run around outside without any supervision.

Who lets a 4 year old run around outside by a street without watching them. Some parents not only don't care about what their kids do to others, but they don't seem to care what the kids do themselves either. And when something bad happens, its always THOSE parents who blame everyone else and take no responsibility at all.

And this is EXACTLY why I try avoiding running my RC's in my neighborhood. Too many kids.....

All's it takes is a nice wide open throttle pass and a kid chasing a ball across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Nuetron
    I hope you are meaning just verbally..... Seriously....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    i am a kid myself (at the age of 14) yet my parents raised us the "old fashioned way", you give lip, you get the belt, you dont do what you are told, you get the belt. i was taught that if you are given something without work, you will not carefor it, therefore we work and our parents kick in a lil cash to show appreciation and gratitude, it just breaks me when some people say "the new generation will run this world into the ground..." this upsets me because some of the teenagers and kids of this time make such a bad impression that no matter what any other decent child does, they will think of the that one slacker that coasts off of his/hers parents success (aka not getting a job, still lives with their parents, depends on their parent for everything), and dont get me wrong, i completely understand what people mean, but there are those of us that DO work hard, that do appreciate having and gaining knowledge from attending school, and contributes to society in a good way. I understand your frustration when kids just say "you should let me drive" repetedly, but some times you have to work past that and politely say "im sorry, but there is alot at risk if i let you take the wheel, after all these remote control cars are suprisingly expensive, and if something breaks, someone has to pay for it, and i dont think you would want to buy replacement parts, in that case i think it would be better for us both if i drive", with a statement like this it does allow the child to learn something
    +10, correct man.
    Matthew 7:7

I try & avoid kids, animals etc when I have an RC on the ground. I do however let the local kids drive one of my slow cars on occassions so they crash & smash the thing into everything. Lets them understand that there is some skill involved
    Same here. I feel terrible about this story, but here it goes... I was at my local park last satarday doing speed runs in the parking lot with my slayer. About 5-10 kids all about 5 years old came over to see what was making "that noise" LOL. They were acting areally cute and laughing trying to catch it. (They weren't getting too close so I wasn't worried.) Then, a chubby little kid ran in front of it when I was doing about 40- 45 mph while I was trying to get away from the kids.... I hit him full speed, no time to hit the brakes, and it knocked his feet out from underneth him. He did a "flip" over it and landed square on his butt. After that I thought I'd better leave... But really, who lets a bunch of kids run around with out supervision?!? I'd be willing to bet that no adults saw that, or will ever know that happened. I hope the kid was ok, because right after I hit him I brought my truck back over to me, and I turned it off and walked home...
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Same here. I feel terrible about this story, but here it goes... I was at my local park last satarday doing speed runs in the parking lot with my slayer. About 5-10 kids all about 5 years old came over to see what was making "that noise" LOL. They were acting areally cute and laughing trying to catch it. (They weren't getting too close so I wasn't worried.) Then, a chubby little kid ran in front of it when I was doing about 40- 45 mph while I was trying to get away from the kids.... I hit him full speed, no time to hit the brakes, and it knocked his feet out from underneth him. He did a "flip" over it and landed square on his butt. After that I thought I'd better leave... But really, who lets a bunch of kids run around with out supervision?!? I'd be willing to bet that no adults saw that, or will ever know that happened. I hope the kid was ok, because right after I hit him I brought my truck back over to me, and I turned it off and walked home...
    No disrespect ment but.....How old are u lol you should have at least made sure he was okay....

I have a neighbor who is 13 and he started hanging around my house (I'm 21 so it's kinda odd) but any way he hangs around my house all the time and always wants to be at my house because he is "bored" so I got the kid into the hobby when he seen the trucks I got from work I sold him an Emaxx "would have givin it to him but got tired of him asking if he could have every dang thing I own. And he treats it like crap it's always broken and he thinks I should just give him replacement parts for free????? The other day I had to go talk to his dad because he kept disrespecting me(being in the army and raised on a farm I'm kinda big on respect and attitude) and his dad was just like hmmm okay. The kid is still acting the same way so I just tell him he is not welcome at my house when he starts acting bad.

RC Qualifier
    I get the luck of having no kids bother me while I run up and down the road.
    The only kids that would bother me are across the street and to the right, luckily though they sit on a concrete thing in their front yard and watch.. they don't do this often though so it's all good. Never had I been asked to give up the controller.

sounds like kids these days just have no respect.. when I was younger if i ever did anything bad i got spanked then put in the corner for a while.
    God is good.

No disrespect ment but.....How old are u lol you should have at least made sure he was okay....
    LOL No disrespect taken, I'm only 16, and your right, I should have checked to see if he was ok, but at that moment, I was like, "OMG He's going to get mad at me and attack my rc car or me!"

RC Qualifier

Dude, I wish more kids were like you.

Sadly because of issues like the ones described on this threat when I test and run my buggy I tend to do it away from kids (except mine ). I live next to a big public park, and a University. I tend to go to the University grounds to drive my buggy because those are emptier.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post

Dude, I wish more kids were like you.

Sadly because of issues like the ones described on this threat when I test and run my buggy I tend to do it away from kids (except mine ). I live next to a big public park, and a University. I tend to go to the University grounds to drive my buggy because those are emptier.
    thanks cunawarit, and i believe that living in certain areas does impact the way a child will develope--- lets say you live in a open country area like i do (Wyoming), in a place like this- it's a 50-50 shot that you live on a ranch, or work in the oil field, living and working in both these divisions will give a child good characteristics (considering the father will take their kid's to work)

than lets say you live in a busy area like Utah, there usually isn't a place to work for younger kids in a busy place like that, so the typical kid will sit all day and do nothing- therefore when they get a chance to see the real world (what all there is to life-like working, caring for your family, etc...) they will give up quick, because they never had to do any of these things as a child

im thinking about picking up a cheap stampede or something to just leave at the lake. i was driving out there this weekend, kinda burning up my own track in the field, using fence posts and gopher holes are corner markers. wasnt using any real speed on the E-slayer. kids standing around watching for a while. Of course eventually the question is dropped. "can i try?"
    To which i reply, nope sorry kiddo, too fast and too expensive for you.
    I spend enough repairing from my own negligence and errors. Cant afford to fix yours.
    Kiddo says "it that isnt fast, i can drive it."
    I tell him oh its fast, and come out of a corner hard on the throttle and sweep wide past in front of us and bombs away all the way to the far end of the field. Turn it around and do i high speed pass all the way back. Cover probably 1000' in no time. Passed us at the half way point in the field doing 50mph+ easy. Caught some air off one of the gopher holes. Turned around at the end of the field and came flying back and stopped in front of us.
    Turned to look at the kid and he was slack jawed. "wow that is fast", is all he said and backed up a few steps and i resumed driving it around my self made track lol.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

im thinking about picking up a cheap stampede or something to just leave at the lake. i was driving out there this weekend, kinda burning up my own track in the field, using fence posts and gopher holes are corner markers. wasnt using any real speed on the E-slayer. kids standing around watching for a while. Of course eventually the question is dropped. "can i try?"
    To which i reply, nope sorry kiddo, too fast and too expensive for you.
    I spend enough repairing from my own negligence and errors. Cant afford to fix yours.
    Kiddo says "it that isnt fast, i can drive it."
    I tell him oh its fast, and come out of a corner hard on the throttle and sweep wide past in front of us and bombs away all the way to the far end of the field. Turn it around and do i high speed pass all the way back. Cover probably 1000' in no time. Passed us at the half way point in the field doing 50mph+ easy. Caught some air off one of the gopher holes. Turned around at the end of the field and came flying back and stopped in front of us.
    Turned to look at the kid and he was slack jawed. "wow that is fast", is all he said and backed up a few steps and i resumed driving it around my self made track lol.
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!

I figure having the cheap and durable other truck there to say "no you cant drive this one, but give this a spin" would go over pretty well.

In the city here its a different story, "go away kid" lol.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    id like to contribute also, I honestly ( at the age of 15) dont want to grow up as the generation to let all things crash down. My parents raised me good, im so surprised at some of the people i know and some of the decisions they make, i can tell unless they get their goals set the person(s) isnt going anywhere.
    back on topic, i guess im kinda lucky that there arent to many children in my neighborhood, even with a rather big park less than 500 feet from my house. Every now and then i will run my truck at the park, but there isnt enough terrain (different kinds, anyways, plenty on land) even the kids dont ask very often to drive, only once i think they played chicken with a truck, and it was probably because of the size of the vehicle. It was just a mini revo, so they took it lightly.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Competitor
    Wow, something similar happened to me this weekend ! I guess it comes with the hobby ? Gfs parents friends son about 6 years old comes over to watch me run my jato. After about 5 mins he started asking in front of his parents can I try. I laughed and said no this is not a toy. Mind you he's the spoiled type that will stomp and pout and get whatever he wants. After I said no about 5 times his mom says why can't he try ? I told her if he breaks it are you prepared to buy me a new one for $400+ ? She had nothing to say other then let's go inside we will let the kids play with their toys.

:what: lol I just shook my head and continued enjoying the truck. I'm 22 years old and when I was younger I knew better. My dad would give me a look and I knew to cut it out or else I'd get a good smack. Parents give in too easily now a days...

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNitroGuy View Post
    Wow, something similar happened to me this weekend ! I guess it comes with the hobby ? Gfs parents friends son about 6 years old comes over to watch me run my jato. After about 5 mins he started asking in front of his parents can I try. I laughed and said no this is not a toy. Mind you he's the spoiled type that will stomp and pout and get whatever he wants. After I said no about 5 times his mom says why can't he try ? I told her if he breaks it are you prepared to buy me a new one for $400+ ? She had nothing to say other then let's go inside we will let the kids play with their toys.

:what: lol I just shook my head and continued enjoying the truck. I'm 22 years old and when I was younger I knew better. My dad would give me a look and I knew to cut it out or else I'd get a good smack. Parents give in too easily now a days...

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Agree AgreeAgreeAgreeAgree that's it totally they don't know how to instill that fear that we once had when we were younger but it is also not just the parents faults cause kids nowadays know its illegal to spank your kinds and what not and the kids will call DHS on the own parents our USA has its priorities wrong

Disclaimer "I am in the military and I continue to fight for our country even with our messed up politics and what not so don't hate on me for saying our country has gone down hill" not that anybody has just making that statement

RC Qualifier
    i've let a couple of my brothers drive my slash before and they were ok at driving it. my dad, on the other hand is kind of crazy with it. he has a summit, so to him, sct's are totally different. when i got my fist lipo, he wanted to try, so i was like sure. but then he started cartwheeling it and wheelying it and skidding all over the place. it was funny.

another time, two older teenage girls came by and one asked to drive it and was pretty good with it. i think i put it on 50% throttle mode though lol.

there's also some kids down the street who come over sometimes and ask me to chase them with my car. i do sometimes, but none of them have asked to drive it before. i guess the kids on my street just have good parents.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I can agree with that some what but definitely only to a point. When it goes beyond being verbal and you actually put hands on someone's kid....well you are asking for big trouble in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I hope you are meaning just verbally..... Seriously....

I see I did not make myself clear enough...

When I parent anothers' child, the ones I do not personally know, it is 100% verbal.
    You would be surprised as to how many kids will just simply sit down when sternly asked by a strange adult right after they did something they know is wrong. Most of the time I don't even need to go that far... usually just the simple verbal correction of "no" or "stop" is needed.

Now, for my friends and I... when we are together we parent as a group. I treat their kids as mine and they treat mine as theirs... simply because we adults are wayyy out numbered. lol (one of my buddies has 4 boys of his own)

I hope this clears things up as I did delete most of what I typed...
    I tend to go way off subject when I post too late into the day. lol

"I killed kenny"... Kuddos. You seem very intelligent and responsible !!! I was at a family reunion over the past weekend and the place was packed full of kids of various ages. I brought out my helicopter and flew for a while and not one kid asked to fly. Then I brought out my "brand new" ERBE and all the kids gathered around to watch but not one ever tried to jump in the way. Only one asked to drive it and when I told him that I would need $1,000.00 cash in my hand first he asked why. I told him that's how much it costs and if he were to break it then I would have the money to replace it. He said ohhh and walked away. I believe it all comes down to parenting skills and how a child is raised. Some thing they are "entitled" and are spoiled with no rules, manners or consequences. Then there are those children that are raised with respect, parental guidance and manners like "I killed kenny"

RC Qualifier
    thank you sir, and it seems like the only way to get through to a spoiled child is to bring the money into the game- in every story i have read that has been told on this thread, the child stops when the adult says they will have to replace/pay for parts, and no kid wants to do that, because it means that the child will have to work to pay for the parts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    another time, two older teenage girls came by and one asked to drive it and was pretty good with it. i think i put it on 50% throttle mode though lol.
    I wish some teenage girls would come by and ask to drive my RCs! That's like something out of a dream! RCs and interested girls??!! (I should say... I'm 16) Usually they just walk by and laugh at me playing with my "little toy"

RC Qualifier
    Cool to see other responsible young people. At least we know later in life our kids will be raised right.
    Jesus, Lights, RC

RC Champion
    thank you sir, and it seems like the only way to get through to a spoiled child is to bring the money into the game- in every story i have read that has been told on this thread, the child stops when the adult says they will have to replace/pay for parts, and no kid wants to do that, because it means that the child will have to work to pay for the parts
    It seems like such a disrespectful way to tell them no though. It's kind of like saying "I have more money in this RC than you've ever had in your life." I hate getting into cost with people because that's not what it's about. It's about the fun you have with it. I know that in reality, they really couldn't afford to fix or replace it, but there is no reason to tell them so unless you have to. I'd rather say something like "No, you can't drive it. It's taken me years to develop the skill required to drive something this powerful. You should think about getting an RC of your own. It's a great hobby to get into!". In that statement, you communicated that they couldn't drive without rubbing anything in their faces. You also made them realize that it takes skill that they don't have now, but if they were truly interested, they could develop with their own RC. Also, you may have gotten someone interested in the hobby we all love!

TraxxasTuesday.... you make a valid point. Bringing a young child into the hobby and keeping them "off the streets" is vital. However, I work extremely hard for what I have and explaining to a child (or adult) how much things cost is also necessary. They have the impression that this is an R/C vehicle from walmart. Once you explain the cost and skill level required to operate/own one of these vehicles it opens their eyes. I allow my 7 year old nephew to run my stampede vxl but I put a nihm battery in it and program it for 50% so no real damage can be done. This thread started because of the rudeness and sense of "entitlement" by some neighborhood kids. I have not experienced this by any child. All the kids in my heighborhood will stand and watch and will ask various questions and I do encourage them to buy one and get involved in the hobby but no one (not even my wife) will drive a car that cost me $1,000.00

RC Champion
    I see what you're saying, but people said they would tell the kid that they couldn't run the truck because it costs a ton of money. That's kind of a slap in the face to a kid who can't make money even if he/she wanted to. Money wouldn't matter if the kid had enough skill to not wreck it... so skill is the real problem, and by saying they don't have the skill, you are bringing up something that they could improve themselves (even being so young). I don't have to worry about it too much because I live on a cross street and there aren't many kids around. I have run into some friends down at the middle school, and I let them drive my Rustler because I was out on the track & field so there is NOTHING to hit for at least 1000 feet, and I know they respect my property just like I respect theirs so they took it easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast